Profit in chaos...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Profit in chaos...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

So as the old saying goes, there is often profit in chaos. Without going into too much detail, the guy that owns the shop I work at is in the hospital and will have a very long road to recovery. As his wife is having to deal with that, her own job, and everything else in life, she has asked me to close the doors and shut it down as best I can. To say it's been a nightmare would be a massive understatement.
Trying to locate and inform customers to retrieve their vehicles is horrible. Many are pissed off and understandably so.
Then there is organizing and separating what is shop owned, leased/being paid for, owners personal stuff, and simply junk. What can be returned will be. What can be liquidated will try to be. Some goes to storage. Some to trash.
It sucks.
But never being one to leave or mistreate those who have done right by me, I'm doing my best.
As bad as it is there are bright spots.
One customer with a j4000 doesn't want his donor drivetrain so I've inherited a 79 cherk 360/th400/and Q-trac along with some small parts. Image
Was told to throw the bad motors in scrap but was offered to keep them if I want... Uh, ok? Who turns down a Durango V8
And a hemi!?! Image
No idea on their conditions but I'll cram them in storage until I have time to figure it all out.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to liquidate a shops worth of various tools, parts, and whatever... I'm open to suggestions. Clock is ticking before the landlord makes us turn over the keys.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Profit in chaos...

Post by Stuka »

Man, that sucks. Hope you can find some work once you are done there.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

That Durango v8 is the dreaded power-turd, um, I mean power-tech. I wouldn't bother storing it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:Man, that sucks. Hope you can find some work once you are done there.
Thanks man. It's hard and the wife is pushing but I've never done anyone wrong who has been good to me. I'll stick it out and hopefully something will come along for work in due time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

will e wrote:That Durango v8 is the dreaded power-turd, um, I mean power-tech. I wouldn't bother storing it.
Thanks ks for the heads up. I was on the fence about it but your info cinches the deal. I'll donate it to my school for students to disassemble and examine. They don't get many new-ish motors so maybe it'll help.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, the 3.7/4.7 engines are good, except for the cam chains. When they go (and they do) you have to dissemble 1/2 of the engine to replace them. It is NOT an easy job.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

It's interesting that the dodge motor had fresh cylinder heads. Oh well, moot point as it's been donated and delivered to school.
Anyone here smart about hemi motors? Iron block seems to indicate a truck motor. Single coils may mean a first gen?? I'd like more info and thoughts on what to look for/known issues.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

In 2006, I bought a rebuilt QT out of a tranny/driveline shop in NC and had it shipped west. The QT made it 300 miles before it failed miserably. When I tried to get a hold of the seller, I got his wife. He had died in a car wreck in FL. After several attempts to get some attention, it was pretty clear I was on my own. I can't imagine the chaos at the other end as the wife consolidated to sell everything that had value and close down the business. Meanwhile, I was out almost $500.

It is water under the bridge now.

Good Luck helping them out.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

htfiremedic

Post by htfiremedic »

Ask @GoblinX for info on liquidation! He has info, he may help. Text for details!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:It's interesting that the dodge motor had fresh cylinder heads. Oh well, moot point as it's been donated and delivered to school.
Anyone here smart about hemi motors? Iron block seems to indicate a truck motor. Single coils may mean a first gen?? I'd like more info and thoughts on what to look for/known issues.

The 5.7's are good engines EXCEPT they tend to drop valve seats. But there is a fix for the issue.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Profit in chaos...

Since I needed an engine myself for school this semester, I decided to learn about the hemi. Well be flow testing heads and learning port/polishing.
Tonight was a struggle getting that beast onto the stand and then had just enough time to start pulling plugs, draining oil, etc. I have almost zero experience with "modern" engines so this should be ok interesting.
I noticed this sticker on the side of the motor which shows its a 5.7. anyone know how to decode the other numbers or if they even mean anything? Sure would be nice to know the year and what it came out of.

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Been tearing down the hemi. Found one spark plug of the 16 that was strangely mushed but saw no reason why. Things looked fairly decent when the valve covers came off. No massive gunk build up and no bad push rods/valve train stuff.
Thought "hot damn!", May have a usable hemi for some future swap...

Uh... No such luck. Image
Getting the heads pulled greeted me with a real WTF! #4 & 5 pistons are HAMMERED!!! Same with the quench area for those cylinders. All I can guess is something got sucked into the intake and somehow ended up on top of those pistons. Being aluminum they took a nasty beating. If there is a plus side, the rest of the bottom end looked pretty dang clean. Guess the aluminum piston and head absorbed it all.?.
Check out these lil beauties.
ImageImageImageImageImage

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Dang!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

bigun

Post by bigun »

Wow!

derf

Post by derf »

I think I can tell you why the engine was pulled... :idea:

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

derf wrote:I think I can tell you why the engine was pulled... :idea:
Lol. I'm still going to measure everything and see how worn the rest is. Who knows... Maybe a set of used heads and a pair of pistons and it's good as new. Hahahaha

Topic author
tedlovesjeeps71

Wrapping the assembly up in prep to finish this semester. Get the motor together down to the exhaust manifolds.
So... Guess what. While the hemi cylinder heads interchange, there is definitely a lady and right.