Nikkomat

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Nikkormat

Re: Nikkomat

Post by Nikkormat »

REDONE wrote:Gabe, don't quit! Seriously, transfer back here, and enroll in the wildlife biology program at Colorado mesa or fort Lewis.
If you can fix jeeps, you can do the math! It takes a lot of work, but once those brain parts connect it clicks! Chemistry is hard, they throw a lot at you fast because chemistry is a "filter" course designed to get those unworthy to drop thier program. It's why "smart people" degrees that have nothing to do with chemistry still require the hard chemistry (usually labeled "principles" instead of "introduction").

Don't get me wrong, I think both of those degrees will end you up working a second job to pay the bills until you find a grant to pay for a masters in education so you can be a high school teacher. Even so, I remember our chats before you left and you were passionate about wildlife biology. Don't give up your passion!
I've got a plan! It's changed since we talked, but this is just an evolution of following my passion.

There is a lot of fantastic scientific work going on that no one ever gets to hear about, and there is a lot of work that goes unfunded because no one knows about it! I think I can carve out a niche for myself showing the world work that is going on behind the scenes and charge handsomely for my services.

In the interim, my minor in Wildlife Bio will qualify me for 95% the field technician jobs I'm interested in (which will definitely pay the bills for a young single guy). I also have some industry contacts at JP Magazine and with those Jalopnik weirdos so I could possibly veer down that avenue and get payed to play with old shitboxes and write down my struggles. :fsj:
Last edited by Nikkormat on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Lumpskie wrote:
REDONE wrote:That quote is jacked up, Gabe is thinking of switching to journalism, I'm an engineer through and through! :-bd

Gabe is currently pursuing a degree in wildlife biology, with an emphasis on aquatic inter-species reproduction. :P

Wow, wildlife biology to journalism is a big switch! I'm an engineer, but wanted to be a marine biologist as a kid. Now that it's too late to switch, I sometimes wonder what life would be like with much less money but spending more time outdoors and in nature.
There'll be time in retirement. :-bd
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Nikkormat wrote:
Lumpskie wrote:
REDONE wrote:That quote is jacked up, Gabe is thinking of switching to journalism, I'm an engineer through and through! :-bd

Gabe is currently pursuing a degree in wildlife biology, with an emphasis on aquatic inter-species reproduction. :P

Wow, wildlife biology to journalism is a big switch! I'm an engineer, but wanted to be a marine biologist as a kid. Now that it's too late to switch, I sometimes wonder what life would be like with much less money but spending more time outdoors and in nature.
There'll be time in retirement. :-bd
That's the plan for me! Sounds like you have a plan coming together too!
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb