HID VS LED for H3 halogen replacement

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

HID VS LED for H3 halogen replacement

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'm looking to replace the standard 55W H3 halogen bulbs in my J10's Marchal lights with something a heck of a lot brighter. I see 'CREE' LED bulbs that are a drop in replacement for the H3 bulb with no wiring modification needed as well as HID conversion kits with a super slim ballast/transformer box that can be hidden behind the reflector in the back of the lamp.

Any of you guys gone this route before? What puts out more light? The 'CREE' bulbs are supposed to draw only 5W, but I can't find anything on the HID's.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: HID VS LED for H3 halogen replacement

Post by Stuka »

I personally prefer LED headlights to HIDs (I have owned vehicles with both). BUT... LED's do not get warm enough to melt ice on the lights. An issue my JK has. I mean, they will eventually warm up enough to melt ice if its not too cold out, but a halogen or HID will melt the ice pretty quick.

Most important thing IMO when looking for lights, is seeing if they are DoT approved. There are so many knock off chinese ones, being DoT approved gives an indication as to there quality as well as actually being legal.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Good point with the DOT rating!

On a side note my JK will freeze over in the snow pretty bad. Headlights almost completely covered, blinkers and fogs, and stopping every 20 minutes to clear the accumulated ice from the wipers. Seriously contemplating heated wipers!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

letank

Post by letank »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote: Seriously contemplating heated wipers!
Winter wiper blades should work, the metal part is covered with a loose rubber sheath. They worked for me during the last winter storm I had to drive thru (2008)

search winter wiper blades
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

letank wrote:
Winter wiper blades should work, the metal part is covered with a loose rubber sheath. They worked for me during the last winter storm I had to drive thru (2008)

That's what I run. The passenger side is usually always fine but the driver side gunks up pretty bad
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

letank

Post by letank »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:
letank wrote:

That's what I run. The passenger side is usually always fine but the driver side gunks up pretty bad
Hummm, same thing for me, I had to follow a 18 wheeler tail lights because the driver's side was a frozen ice sheet, and no place to pull over
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

OK, bought a pair of these and going to see how they do on a set of KC lights before I try them on the Marchals.

82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW