I want a UniMog

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
yz400e

I want a UniMog

Post by yz400e »

This is the second project I've been on with a Unimog.
This one is a lot smaller than the other one.

Those Germans were pretty clever: build a vehicle that can plow a field then drive home a 90 km/hr (or more)

I know the photo is crap but....

Imageunimog by Mark Wise, on Flickr

SJTD

Re: I want a UniMog

Post by SJTD »

I want one too. Dunno what I'd do with it.

90 KPH sounds so much faster than 55 MPH.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
yz400e

Post by yz400e »

LOL. yes it does.

A person would be invincible driving that thing. In my way...no problem....

Here is a photo of the larger one with the crane and carrying a Vib tire.

Imagebig_unimog_1 by Mark Wise, on Flickr

Imagebig_unimog_3 by Mark Wise, on Flickr

I wonder what the driver was doing to cause this damage.

Imagedestroyed_tire by Mark Wise, on Flickr

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I am seriously thinking about picking up an FLU419. My buddy here on the mountain has one and they seem super cool!

Topic author
yz400e

Post by yz400e »

I had to go look up the model number.

that could be cool. prices for used seem much more reasonable than what i was told DMT paid for theirs.

Looks like surplus ones are available. I'm sure they are beat to death but still...

get a SEE, pull the bucket and backhoe off and put a snow plow on it. perfect for montana or colorado mountains.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Thought the max speed for the tire was in MPH not KPH???

Prolly just ran it flat.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

yz400e wrote:I had to go look up the model number.

that could be cool. prices for used seem much more reasonable than what i was told DMT paid for theirs.

Looks like surplus ones are available. I'm sure they are beat to death but still...

get a SEE, pull the bucket and backhoe off and put a snow plow on it. perfect for montana or colorado mountains.
I always liked the SEE but it was really a POS. All the equipment made it ride like a slow bucking bronco and it's lack of mass limited it's ability to perform it's intended construction duties. Still want one though. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

I always liked the SEE but it was really a POS. All the equipment made it ride like a slow bucking bronco and it's lack of mass limited it's ability to perform it's intended construction duties. Still want one though. Image

Can you elaborate on the 419? My buddies 419 seems to work the hoe pretty good up here on the mountain? Iirc they weigh in at 16klbs.

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Blake wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

Can you elaborate on the 419? My buddies 419 seems to work the hoe pretty good up here on the mountain? Iirc they weigh in at 16klbs.
The 419 itself isn't a horrible design. Like most MB products they are well engineered but costly to fix.
If you can keep the hydraulic lines from leaking and don't overwork the pump, the back hoe will do for light duty. Hard clay or rock and you'll have issues.
With the bucket... Well, it's no bulldozer. It does Excell at snow removal but serious digging is usually fruitless. It's also handy for carrying stuff like rock/firewood/etc.
Driving the See is not fun. It's uncomfortable and very tipsy. At road speed you feel like your going over whooptie woops as it bounces like a teeter totter. Be very careful when negotiating off camber as they roll pretty easy. Do no work with the back how without setting the outriggers.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The blown up tire was most likely dry rot and then it was driven on a ways.

And yeah, the Unimog with the equipment drives TERRIBLY. They were not intended for hard work, but more a tractor that can get places a normal tractor cannot. If you really need work done, get a tractor.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

There’s one for sale for a good price close to me

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 9169100715
In the market for a new FSJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

In Germany back in 1984 I got the chance to drive a Mog through a nasty deeply rutted mud course. I was impressed as heck! Those things could go places a Gama Goat couldn't. (Except across deep water)
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

cone

Post by cone »

yz400e wrote:
Those Germans were pretty clever: build a vehicle that can plow a field then drive home a 90 km/hr (or more)
Just get yourself an old CJ.
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

letank

Post by letank »

cone wrote:
yz400e wrote:
Just get yourself an old CJ.images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Yeaaaaah, go CJs, not impressed with german engineering redundencies, been fiddling with friends bimmer and merco... the local guys can do it for a lot le$$... and this is 60's technology
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)