FireFox using a lot of memory causing computer to slow

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bigun

FireFox using a lot of memory causing computer to slow

Post by bigun »

As stated Latest upgrade has caused my computer to slow down, sometimes videos now have to stop and buffer before playing, open up Windows Task Manager and instead of just one entry for FireFox there are now 7! I have been using FireFox pretty much from the get go but it seems with each update it gets more bloated what browsers is everyone else using? Computer is running Windows 7

Don S

Re: FireFox using a lot of memory causing computer to slow

Post by Don S »

You are just too far out in the sticks!

Like Me!.. Don S..

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

How much memory does your system have? Have much is used when you have issues?

FireFox (And every other browser) breaks up each tab into its own process. This is done for security reasons so that one tab cannot get information from another tab. Most have been this way for years. I would have to check at what time FireFox switched to this scheme. Although for the last few years, FireFox has been at the back of the pack for speed and security.

I use Opera on all of my own systems. Once in a blue moon I come across a certain site that requires Chrome, but thats quite rare these days.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

i7 CPU 2.13 GHZ processor
4 GB ram
64 bit
Running Windows 7 Pro.
Individual tabs started on last update most of the time it is using in the high 70 percent sometimes mid 80 percent of memory.

I had read that Opera hadn't been updated for windows did I read wrong? I have never tried it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

There is now an option in FireFox to set the number of CPU cores to be used. When this update is applied, the browser looks at your PC's hardware and makes certain changes to the performance settings. Sometimes they are set too low and other time far too high. You can go to General Options and scroll down to the Performance section, uncheck the Use recommended settings and set the number of CPU cores you want to give FireFox access to. The default is 4 cores. Since you only have 4 gigs of RAM I would suggest you start with setting 1 core as this will not eat up as much memory.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Thanks I'll give it a try

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Opera gets updates every month, just like Chrome.

The number of CPU cores will have zero impact on memory utilization. With an i7 having 8 threads, there is no reason to set it down from 4 cores. 4GB of memory is not that much, but you should be able to browse fine. I would give Chrome or Opera a try, and see how they work out for you.

Most of my Opera tabs use between 30-150MB each, depending on the site. Note that sites that have video, or use Flash will consume more.
2017 JKU Rubicon

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Like others have said you gatta set the amount of rescources its allowed to use.. Your computer is outdated. 4GB is something i have 10 years ago
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuka wrote:Opera gets updates every month, just like Chrome.

The number of CPU cores will have zero impact on memory utilization. With an i7 having 8 threads, there is no reason to set it down from 4 cores. 4GB of memory is not that much, but you should be able to browse fine. I would give Chrome or Opera a try, and see how they work out for you.

Most of my Opera tabs use between 30-150MB each, depending on the site. Note that sites that have video, or use Flash will consume more.
I disagree!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:
Stuka wrote:Opera gets updates every month, just like Chrome.

I disagree!
That is not setting the number of CPU cores to use. Thats setting how many content processes to use, think of a process as a worker. More workers, less chance of getting slowed down. Unless you have too many workers, then they get in the way, which is why Mozilla says not to use over 4. If you break it up to more processes, there will be some over head memory usage. However you gain performance and security by doing so. The overhead memory consumed by doing this is rather minimal (Talking tens of megabytes in most cases).

While FireFox may show up at the top under processes in task manager, that doesn't mean it is the number of memory consumer. As system processes and kernel memory do not show up under this list. Its a bit more involved to track actual memory consumption and requires some tools outside of task manager.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Well FIrefox updated again this morning, so I downloaded Opera on Stuka's recommended, WOW! Why has it taken so long for me to change? :banghead:

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Okay more help needed after down loading Opera I am told my Adobe Flash needs to be updated I despise Adobe Flash, I have down loaded it 5 times and every time it comes back and says I need to down load new version.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I don't even have flash installed on the machine I am typing from now. These days its pretty rare to come across a site that uses it.

If you want flash, download it from here, but UNCHECK the box for McAfee!!

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

After its downloaded, you then need to run it to install.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Thanks I found a work around, ran Firefox for the show I was wanting to listen to.