Fire arms storage in jeep?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Fire arms storage in jeep?

Post by Nikkormat »

Howdy folks, any tips for discreet temporary firearms storage in our jeeps? I have to check my shotgun in and out of the campus police department and sometimes that is less than convenient. So I'd like to be able to leave my firearm hidden in the jeep for a few days at a time. Aside from leaving it under a pile of crap in the cargo area, does anyone have a better solution?

I've been thinking it might fit in the jack storage area, but I haven't checked. Has anyone stashed a 26" barrel shotgun back there before? The overall length would be 46". I suppose it would certainly fit with the barrel removed from the action...
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Fire arms storage in jeep?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Perhaps if it’s only temporary you could use some quick fists or mag light holders. Mount them under your back seat if it’ll clear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Put it in the side panels in the back i garuntee you they wouldnt look in those spots or even know the panels even remove
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Perhaps if it’s only temporary you could use some quick fists or mag light holders. Mount them under your back seat if it’ll clear?

Under the seat? I'm not sure I know what you mean...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Are you saying you want to hide it to get by campus security? If thats the case, do NOT do this. Period.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Stuka wrote:Are you saying you want to hide it to get by campus security? If thats the case, do NOT do this. Period.
No, that's not the case at all! I just don't want to give someone an excuse to break into the car. Firearms may be stored in vehicles. It's a real Hunter friendly Montana redneck school.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm just looking for a place to keep it for a few days at a time until I'm around at a decent hour to check it back in. Arriving home from redneckery in the woods at 3AM on a Friday doesn't allow me to check it back in till Saturday. And if I work Saturday till nine I won't be able to do it till Sunday. That's a long time being nervous about some Yahoo smash and grabbing it out of the jeep and using it for god knows what...

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Nikkormat wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Perhaps if it’s only temporary you could use some quick fists or mag light holders. Mount them under your back seat if it’ll clear?

Under the seat? I'm not sure I know what you mean...
Rear seat folds forward and has a metal bottom. May be enough room under it to store a shotty. I still wouldn’t trust leaving a firearm in an old jeep. Too many sleazy people nowadays.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

If you are talking about the Cherokee, just wrap a towel or something around it, to protect it, and put it behind the rear side panels. Plenty of room. On a Grand Waggy, not so much. Maybe of you pull the barrel off it will fit. But no one is going to look there.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I would put gun racks right in the window and a lock on it in plain view.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Get a matching color cover to the rear seat and fold seat down. Maybe run a cable lock to the seat hinge.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Too bad you don't have a J-truck. My crawler came with a bench seat that somebody built a gun rack inside the back. Even without doors, nobody can see it from outside.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have an idea to turn the spare tire space into a secret storage area. Cut a hole in the floor carefully, build a box, weld it in (with a locking lid) ...seal it from water and dust and presto :) What ya think?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"