A Place to Shoot

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
loganobrien121

A Place to Shoot

Post by loganobrien121 »

My buddy and I decided to check out this range we'd never been to - A Place to Shoot in Santa Clarita, for the fellow SoCal peeps.

So we load up Betty Blue with some standard milsurps - Mosin, Mauser, no3mk3 Enfield and this .22 peashooter I bought on my 18th birthday and head out there. And it was great! I'd say it's the best outdoor range I've been to in CA. So if you're looking for somewhere to go while Angeles repairs from the fire, I highly recommend you check it out. The people who work there are really, really nice. And so was everyone else who was shooting. Which has been rare to find in my experience!

Didn't take as many pictures as I'd like, but here ya go:

Betty Blue with her new festive wreath.

My mosin and my friend shooting his Turkish Mauser (which always comes with the afterword: "I got it for 40 dollars back in the day!")

And an up-close of the engraving on the Mauser, for those who like em.

All in all, amazing day!
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

HowardT64

Re: A Place to Shoot

Post by HowardT64 »

that a Turkish Mauser?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have two Mausers; a Romanian that someone drilled into for a scope mount (they really tore it up) and a K98 that is in beautiful shape :) Ill fire up my cell phone after bit and get you some picks. The Romanian is pretty much a single shot rifle, they boogered up the safety pretty bad. It shoots wonderful.

Peace
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

d4xycrq

Post by d4xycrq »

Very nice Jeep! That Buick 350 a sweetheart? Mine is. I have 3 V-8s on the property. The Buick 350 is the best running one of the bunch despite the least amount of care and feeding.

Mosin looks good, and the K Kale looks like it has 'been there and done that".

Enjoy! And thanks for posting.

Ray

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Nice! And I know what you mean. In WA I had lots of places I knew about to shoot at distance, 600-1000yds. I had finally scouted out a spot here in CO, but it was gated earlier this summer. There's a 600yd range, but you have to join their little club to use it. I've seriously been thinking of getting rid of my black rifles and picking up a lever gun, just so I have more options to shoot.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have an M91/30 Mosin (A '43 izhmash). Good rifle, but not something you should shoot for long without a good shoulder pad.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I didn't know you could do that stuff in SoCal. :)
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

REDONE wrote:Nice! And I know what you mean. In WA I had lots of places I knew about to shoot at distance, 600-1000yds. I had finally scouted out a spot here in CO, but it was gated earlier this summer. There's a 600yd range, but you have to join their little club to use it. I've seriously been thinking of getting rid of my black rifles and picking up a lever gun, just so I have more options to shoot.
Move to Las Cruces, our gun range is a city park and hasa 500 yard silouhette range, next to that is a 1000 yard area with targets at 100, 200, 300, 600, 1000, and someone even walked further and set up an unofficial target backer at 1200/ Next to that is a dedicated pistol area, then a general purpose 400 yard area, then a bunch of 50 yard areas separated by burms for whatever you want to do, then a dedicated trap shooting area. Best part is its all free to use
In the market for a new FSJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, but then I'd live in Las Cruces. :cry:

:P
Grizzly Locker Rear

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Sounds kinda whiny, "their little club".

I assume it's private land, maybe some improvements, certainly some liability concerns. Seems reasonable that one should have to join up and share the expenses to have the privilege of using the place.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

No, it really is their little exclusive club, in that they exclude new comers, and their reputation for being snooty is well known. There's lots of good places to shoot around here full of good people, but since I like shooting distance, my choices have been that place or driving 3 hours north east of here. That's why I was happy for Logan finding a good place to shoot. That 400yd up an incline looks like a fun way to spend a morning.
Grizzly Locker Rear

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Well, that's very different. Never mind.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

In re-reading my first post I can see I wasn't very clear and recognize how it could come across as whiney. Since the OP mentioned Mosins I'll share a little about mine:

I picked it up back when they were a dime-a-dozen but did my research. I found that the markings could be used as indicators (which factory and how the barrel was graded from the factory), but that the biggest limiting factor for distance accuracy was how centered the bore was in the barrel. I handled probably 30 or so before finding this one, with a smooth action (the bolt levers are notoriously ill-fitting after CZ got done with them) and reasonably centered barrel. I ditched the wood and got the cheap plastic monte carlo stock, but I hogged it out to free float the barrel. I also cut and welded a turn-down bolt lever and sanded down the trigger spring until it had a very light-but-still-crisp release. As it sits in that picture, I was consistently getting touch-groups at 300yds and 5" at 600yds. At 1000 I'd get 2 or 3 of 5 on 24" paper, (all with 203gr Silver Bear).

A real eye-opener for me was a 30* morning outside of Yakima right after sun up, I was able to see the vapor trail of the projectile in my scope, and I could literally see it corkscrew twice before wandering off in any direction. No idea what distances these events were happening, but it was still really cool to see.

Since that pic, I've removed the front sight, tapered the crown at 6* to a 1" depth and added a symetrical muzzle break. I've only had it out once since then though, at a 300yd range and it was nothing to brag about.

Oh, and the bipod is for tacti-cool dorky looks. I shoot off a bag when I shoot for real. :oops:

Grizzly Locker Rear

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

As a dumb and pointless aside, the wood that trigger spring is sitting on is a stock I was trying to make to replace the tacti-dork camo painted monte carlo stock. I've gone from a lean and green Army soldier to a hairy and frumpy sitcom dad and don't need that gung-ho nonsense anymore. I might need to finish that up and show it off, see if somebody might take if off my hands.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

REDONE wrote:As a dumb and pointless aside, the wood that trigger spring is sitting on is a stock I was trying to make to replace the tacti-dork camo painted monte carlo stock. I've gone from a lean and green Army soldier to a hairy and frumpy sitcom dad and don't need that gung-ho nonsense anymore. I might need to finish that up and show it off, see if somebody might take if off my hands.

Continuing your aside, you should leave that wood that width and then make a bomb f class or benchrest rig. Mosins are pretty easy to rebarrel and change the caliber to a 6.5 of some form.
In the market for a new FSJ

Topic author
loganobrien121

Post by loganobrien121 »

That’s an awesome custom mosin! I like what you went for and you’re lucky to have found one with a smooth action. Mine is okay, could be better. I guess if it’s rough on closing when you’ve got a round in there, the problem is usually the ejector being burred. I took a file and some sandpaper to mine and it seems to have made it better, at least with an old casing. But we’ll see next time I take it out. I’ve always just assumed that being a 60 year old russian gun, you were supposed to slap it closed. But it seems there’s another way!

I just picked up a K31 though, and man! It’s night and day compared to the Mosin. Haven’t shot it yet but am looking forward to it. The action is a thing of beauty in the flesh.
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ah, you have a turned down bolt handle. Thats the number one thing I dislike about all non-sniper models. That bolt.

Did you have to change your headspacing, I notice the screw is off from its original location.
2017 JKU Rubicon

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Nothing was wrong with the headspace (This things are pretty forgiving with that big ol' rim on the cartridge). I did a little work on the firing pin, which was splitting the primer casings when I first got it (non semetrical and way too deep). Once it was all cleaned up and hardened, that's where the dimple in the primer looked best.
Grizzly Locker Rear

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

REDONE wrote:picture, I was consistently getting touch-groups at 300yds and 5" at 600yds. At 1000 I'd get 2 or 3 of 5 on 24" paper, (all with 203gr Silver Bear).
Not sure if you hand load or not, but I bet you could get those groupings tighter by playing with bullet weights and powder loads.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I don’t think anybody sells ball for 7.62x54R. And most ammo uses steel casings which is hard on equipment.
2017 JKU Rubicon