Should I trade my FSJ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

candymancan

Re: Should I trade my FSJ?

Post by candymancan »

I wouldnt trade my wagoneer for a CJ... MAYBE if it were the Scrambler my friend has, but his is lifted have 33's on it, and looks brand new. But then i would miss the funtionality of the wagoneer. The reason i never got a wrangler as my first car was because after i sat in one and drove one they were just too small and uncomfortable. I grew up watching Macgyver so i always wanted one like his.

But these are my reasons, not your reasons. Its up to you.. Do you have another SUV to make up for losing a 5-6 seating SUV with lots of storage/hauling capability ? If not i wouldnt do it. If you do, then maybe, The Jeep does look nice, although im not a fan of the color. If it were like a bronze color or black
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tgreese wrote:
Stuka wrote:So, for my response, I do not see him getting $8k for that. CJ6's are the bastard child of the CJ world, and they don't have the demand of a CJ5/CJ7/CJ8.
I respect Stuka's opinions on most things, but he has this backwards. The CJ-6s are in much higher demand than the CJ-5s, though not nearly to the level of the CJ-8 (Scrambler). Indeed I know of several CJ-5 owners that have stretched their CJ-5s to make a CJ-6, for lack of a suitable and affordable CJ-6. The longer wheelbase and additional storage makes the CJ-6 much more desirable for a build-up, anywhere from a mild resto-mod to a full rock buggy.
Maybe it’s the area I am in. CJ-6’s just seem to stay for sale when they pop up. LJ’s sell almost instantly, they are definitely in high demand. Same goes for scramblers. But maybe I am off, my evidence of being less popular is a bit anecdotal. I can certainly see why people would like them more with the extra space and stability.

CJ’s as a whole have gone down a bit in price in the last few years here.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

You're not that far off stuka. Here in the Denver area CJs still sell at a premium. Except CJ-6s which are only listed at a premium, but the same ones keep showing up until they are spotted in a JY, well picked over. Let's face it, they're ugly, and only a rare handful of broke nuts want them, just like CJ-10s. Doesn't matter if they are rare if nobody with the money wants them.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Mmm. You guys should hang out on the CJ sites. There the CJ-6 is far from unpopular.

A junky CJ-6 will sell easily if advertised to the right audience, for more than a CJ-5 in equivalent condition. This Jeep is too nice to make a trail Jeep from, and too slow for most buyers. JMO - I think $8k is not outrageous for this Jeep. Its main downside is the chrome wheels and other bits that don't fit with a strict restoration. It's right between the two markets - too nice to build and too many flaws for a restoration.

I would point out that CJs from this era are often heavily modified, most commonly with larger engines, Saginaw steering, better brakes, overdrives, and truck 4-speeds. This Jeep is slow, has tiny drum brakes, primitive steering, and weak axles. It's fine as what it is, but kind of expensive as a platform for modifications to more modern standards.

I have been to plenty of junkyards, including Jeep specialty yards, and I've never seen a CJ-6 hulk. The bones are valuable. Chuchua had a couple of stripped M170s in his yard in 1972, but that's the closest I've seen.

All that said, if you want something to putt around in, buy a flatty - that will get you really close to the trail and scenery.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

tgreese wrote:Mmm. You guys should hang out on the CJ sites. There the CJ-6 is far from unpopular.

A junky CJ-6 will sell easily if advertised to the right audience, for more than a CJ-5 in equivalent condition. This Jeep is too nice to make a trail Jeep from, and too slow for most buyers. JMO - I think $8k is not outrageous for this Jeep. Its main downside is the chrome wheels and other bits that don't fit with a strict restoration. It's right between the two markets - too nice to build and too many flaws for a restoration.

I would point out that CJs from this era are often heavily modified, most commonly with larger engines, Saginaw steering, better brakes, overdrives, and truck 4-speeds. This Jeep is slow, has tiny drum brakes, primitive steering, and weak axles. It's fine as what it is, but kind of expensive as a platform for modifications to more modern standards.

I have been to plenty of junkyards, including Jeep specialty yards, and I've never seen a CJ-6 hulk. The bones are valuable. Chuchua had a couple of stripped M170s in his yard in 1972, but that's the closest I've seen.

All that said, if you want something to putt around in, buy a flatty - that will get you really close to the trail and scenery.
Aside from the last line, I think you "get it" :-)

I went and test drove it today. Fired up instantly, gauges work. Drove great. Stopped hard (expected) steered hard (expected) but everything was smooth and functional. I couldnt stop chuckling as I drove it.

The paint is awful. Like, its 99% there , but its just an awful paint job. I could do better in my driveway, and I'd probably try to if I get it. There are some wavy areas that i'm sure are bondo, and one or two bubbles, but nothing alarming, no lines in it like my wagoneer, and no major cracking bondo like my wagoneer. I got under it briefly, and it looked good, everything clean and was painted when it was "Restored". Somebody probably pulled the body and touched stuff up, but didnt do a true frame off. The roll cage looked good and well built. The diamond plate in the back cargo area must have something to do with the aux fuel tank under the floor, which works fine and appears to be an otherwise clean install.

I dont think its worth $8k, and I dont think my wagoneer is either, unless its totaled and an insurance agency looks at it. I brought another FSJ buddy along with me, and he agrees that its a pretty fair deal if it goes through. Both vehicles that are hard to apply value to, but are seemingly equal.

So, heres where we're at. I;m leaning towards it for a few reasons. Youve all seen my rantings about my wagoneer these last two years, but youve all also seen my camping trip pictures. The bottom line is that my wagoneer is never going to be a cream puff 1990 model worth 40k. I have done everything I can do it it, body and interior are left. I'd probably get the interior done, and i'll never have the body redone. Its a good solid old truck, but its not some amazing condition find. If i dropped an LS into it, it would be purely because I have decided I want to keep the truck forever, because even if it had an LS in it tomorrow, it wouldnt be worth 8k. Lets be realistic, its not not in that good of shape.

I cut my teeth on this vehicle, i learned everything i know about old vehicle son it. All the skills I possess come from working on it and doing projects sometimes 2 or 3 times. ITs been a huge learning aid, but n hind sight, i should have done things differently, and if I wanted a vehicle to keep forever I should have started with a cleaner FSJ.

I've been leaning towards getting out of it for some time now, but mostly half heartedly. I'm a person who fears change. I'd stick in a crappy job or crappy relationship because it was comfortable and it was KNOWN. I know this jeep inside and out top to bottom. If something happens, i can fix it, but stuff STILL happens, and its still a headache. Every one of those trips I take, i'm nervous. I; uncomfortable until I hit my destination. I avoid certain trips and certain routes because the wag wont be able to make it. Thats the bad, but honest truth.

The good is that I've made a million memories in it, I proposed to my with on a trip with it, we used it in our engagement photos. But its just a truck. I'm emotionally attached, but its just a truck. I've poured blood, sweat, and tears into it, i've spent something like $13,000 on it over these past 7 years. But I think I'm about ready to move on. I feel like its time for something new to dick around with, something less complicated and more simplistic. This CJ for example, I have no fears or doubts i could pull it apart and do a frame off in my garage, the FSJ, scares the crap out of me with that notion.

I also own a 2004 dodge dakota 4x4. To be honest, i does everything my wagoneer can do, and it does it better, and more efficiently, and more reliably. However, it is not vintage and it isnt cool. Thats what the wag has, and thats a huge thing to have. But at what cost? I can wheel and camp with my Dakota for the next few years until I can get myself into FJ Cruiser or JK (NO!!! LOL), or Tacoma or Grand Cherokee or whatever, that I can build into a slightly more capable, reliable, expoloration and camping vehicle. In the meantime, I can have a cool vintage jeep to putt around the hills with, take into town every now and then, participate in hot august nights with, etc.

Thats what I'm seeing. Thats been my goal for the past year or two, but I'm sure I'm going to chicken out and keep the wagoneer, then still get knots in my stomach every time I take it ff road or up a big hill. I didnt plan to get rid of it until after I got the FJ or whatever, but if I dont do anything, i'll never do anything. The time will never be right if you just wait for it.

I have an opportunity to get into something new to me, something I FEEL that I'll equally enjoy, and that I feel is a solid value and isnt a big loss or anything.

I dunno, i've got alot of thinking to do over the next few nights. I've come so far and been through so much with the wagoneer....but. its just a truck. they're both just trucks.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Also i'm fully aware that I will get generally biased opinions here, just like if I asked on the early CJ forums. v
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I don't say much on these kinds of questions. Mostly because I think it is a cathartic pondering of choices. Just make sure you are doing what you want for what you want. Make sure you have thought what you want and need for the next step. Good luck. I back whatever choice you make. And change is not always bad. Sometimes it leads us to what we actually want .
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Ok, so here is a question. If you get the CJ-6, do you want to use it for camping? Will you be ok with not being able to use your tent trailer? I think thats the big thing the Wagoneer gives you over any CJ.

Oh, and how much snow do you get where you are? If you get more than a few inches, do you have a covered area to park the CJ under? The soft tops don't handle much snow.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Ok, so here is a question. If you get the CJ-6, do you want to use it for camping? Will you be ok with not being able to use your tent trailer? I think thats the big thing the Wagoneer gives you over any CJ.

Oh, and how much snow do you get where you are? If you get more than a few inches, do you have a covered area to park the CJ under? The soft tops don't handle much snow.
This pulls the camper just fine, this drives to and from vegas (or anywhere else) just fine. This is my daily driver, 4x4, V8, manual with AC and heat and suspension that doesnt bounce you into the roof. As mentioned in the first post, it does literally everything the FSJ does, only better....and it doesnt even do any of those things very well...but it still does it better than the FSJ.

When I got that truck, i was like "why the hell am I using a wagoneer for road trips and towing? Its inefficient, rides like a tank, and is unreliable, and fairly uncofmrtable in the summer months" Then I drove the truck off road and was like "holy crap! this makes it so off roading isnt the worst thing ever!!!!!! I dont have to hold on for dear life and i dont have to keep my speed under 2mph for fear of hitting my head on the roof!"

Also, my FSJ is parked in my garage all day every day, next to the Nova. CJ would be inside too. That being said, we dont normally get much more than a few inches at a time.

i dunno, like i've said, i think i'm just using a silly vehicle for a camping and exploring rig.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

it doesnt matter though, like I said, i'll chicken out here in the next few days. I've already said it, i'm gonna be buried in my FSJ whether i like it or not.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, newer vehicles will totally spoil you off road. My Wife's first offroad trip was in my J10, she loved the scenery, hated the ride. Then she rode in my old JK with the sway bar disconnected and she now doesn't mind going out and exploring because you feel almost nothing. So I totally understand you, and I have done the same. My J10 is not used for offroading. Its bouncy, and not reliable enough for the big mountain passes that I like to go to.

And I am not trying to talk you out of the trade, just trying to bring up other points :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Just do the LS swap. That is all.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oddly ernough, this years Ultimate Adventure project vehicle was a CJ-6 :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

That's Christian's CJ-6 IIRC. It started off as a Border Patrol Jeep, which he modified to run the Rubicon trail.

Unfortunately the original build thread has the Photobucket ransomware disease - http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... nks.97323/ You may not be able to see it if you aren't registered.

Here's a YouTube about the current build. Not much of the CJ-6 left ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -t7Om0jVaw
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

What does your wife think? That matters more than anything else.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

tgreese wrote:That's Christian's CJ-6 IIRC. It started off as a Border Patrol Jeep, which he modified to run the Rubicon trail.

Unfortunately the original build thread has the Photobucket ransomware disease - http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... nks.97323/ You may not be able to see it if you aren't registered.

Here's a YouTube about the current build. Not much of the CJ-6 left ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... -t7Om0jVaw
That build is pretty bad ass!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

SJTD wrote:What does your wife think? That matters more than anything else.
Ding ding ding.

Here's a the big freaking bomb that just got dropped last night as we had "the conversation."

She gets it, I'm over the wag mostly. But heres what she said, after saying if I want the CJ I should get it.

"why dont we sell your wagoneer, and sell my nova, and get something awesome, thats actually worth something, and that we both can enjoy?"

well. god. damn. it. that complicates EVERYTHING.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

When she says "that we both can enjoy", does that mean 4x4 replacement or muscle car replacement?

Man... I'd hate to see your cool rig go.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Lumpskie wrote:When she says "that we both can enjoy", does that mean 4x4 replacement or muscle car replacement?

Man... I'd hate to see your cool rig go.
could be either or, but we've both been eyeing alot of early bronco's lately.

If you're sad to see it go, feel free to make an offer. I'll drive it to NH for you if you cover gas. No joke. One last hurrah.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
SJTD wrote:What does your wife think? That matters more than anything else.
Ding ding ding.

Here's a the big freaking bomb that just got dropped last night as we had "the conversation."

She gets it, I'm over the wag mostly. But heres what she said, after saying if I want the CJ I should get it.

"why dont we sell your wagoneer, and sell my nova, and get something awesome, thats actually worth something, and that we both can enjoy?"

well. god. damn. it. that complicates EVERYTHING.
Mmm. LJ.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.