Should I trade my FSJ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Should I trade my FSJ?

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Short Version:

I've got this feller on the hook for a trade.

1957 CJ-6, 134 (fresh rebuild), 3 speed. Says body has a little bondo but its an older frame-off restoration and runs/drives/stops perfect.

He wants something bigger and more "family" friendly. Enter my 1973 Wagon. I have no idea what my Wagon is worth, he's asking close to $8k for this CJ-6

Think its worth a straight swap?

What scares me is a top speed of about 50, and ZERO towing or highway ability.

Long Version:

So, I presently have my wagoneer, a 04' dodge dakota 4x4, my wife's 11 challenger, and her 69 nova. For a while I have planned my wagoneer exit as I've realized without doing an LS swap, it isnt going to be what I want it to be. It makes no sense to drive my rickety old gas guzzling wagoneer for our camping and exploring vehicle. It makes ALOT more sense to me to ditch my pickup, ditch the wagon, get a newish modern truck/jeep//toyota/SUV as the "daily" and also camping/exploring/main wheeling vehicle.

Then, either get a "putt around" jeep for farting around in the hills (read: flat fender, willys wagon or pickup, something like this CJ) that I can play with as I want and wont really leave town a lot OR get a classic truck for chores and mild wheeling (j-truck, old ford or chevy or dodge, 2wd or 4wd, etc).

Thats my long term goal for my vehicle situation, all of which involve getting rid of the wagon because it makes no esnse to use an old unreliable inefficient square boxy vehicle for camping and wheeling and road trips, so, get a new reliable modern comfy capable square boxy vehicle, then an old jeep for tinkering and putting around in.
cj5.jpg
cj4.jpg
cj3.jpg
cj2.jpg
cj1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Should I trade my FSJ?

Post by Stuka »

Here you go:

2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Thank yuo. no if you would be so kind as to offer your opinion lol
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

So, for my response, I do not see him getting $8k for that. CJ6's are the bastard child of the CJ world, and they don't have the demand of a CJ5/CJ7/CJ8.

I have not gotten to see your waggy in person yet, but it does look nice from the photos. If I had a place to put it, I would gladly buy it from you. But I also don't think its worth $8k either. Wagoneers are tough to price though, as there is not a known value for them.

And I totally understand you wanting a more modern and reliable vehicle for camping and exploring. Its why I have my JKU. It basically seats and has the same cargo space as a Wagoneer, but is modern, reliable, and comfortable. My J10 basically is my truck for doing yard work and making Lowes runs.

But if I were you (and I am not but...) I would not trade for that particular CJ.

EDIT: Willing to bet he does not have a top for that either huh? So, limited use of it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

He has a top. A new tiger top, and soft doors.

I get that its not a "popular" jeep, but for all intents and purposes its a willys built Cj5 that is a little longer (better, in my book).

We'll see, might go see it this weekend, and could be a fun vintage vehicle to own and putt around in.

I dont know what his is worth, but I know full mine isn't worth 8k.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

and to go along with the new vehicle thing....

If I end up with a modern "square enclosed 4x4" I will have zero use for my vintage square enclosed 4x4, other than when I feel like being vintage.

Like if I traded my wagon for a J-10, i already own a pickup, and would have no use for a jeep truck other than that vintage feeling.

If i have a flat fender, or a willys wagon or truck, thats a whole different animal than an FSJ or a pickup truck or an FJ Cruiser, etc.

letank

Post by letank »

Sure your FSJ is worth $8K, check the prices over in the bay area. The appraiser agreed on a $5K vehicle value for the woody after the fender bender while I was parked in SF, and if you remember, the body was not the best, at least not as good as yours...

Personally the CJs are like larger bumper cars, easy to park and drive around boulders and bump into whatever. The short wheelbase makes them uncomfortable , travelling on hwy 80 during the summer weekends you can see that most of the CJs are trailered.

Softop and plastic windows are not good on cold and/or windy days. The wrangler we had for 3 years was less than ideal.

If you want comfort, AC and power, a newer more modern transportation is probably a better choice.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

For what it's worth I'm 5'5" and I could barely fit in my CJ5 without tasting the grease on my knees.

If you want a classic CJ I'd stick it out and wait for a cj8, if not I'd wait till the new Wrangler truck comes out next year and replace both when does.
In the market for a new FSJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I like your Wag. I liked it when you got it. I don't know why it would need an LS. That is a personal choice. Mine is 401s. CJs are baby Jeeps and I don't drive those. That is just me. You park it for a while and get the modern driver then could always go on an Waggy adventure if you have a battery and some gas. Just a thought.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Would you like for me to part it, oop I mean hold it for you down here? LOL :D

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I think you should sell or trade your waggy. You've been talking about it for at least a year. You should NOT get that green Jeep. I'm almost positive you will wish you hadn't before the title comes in the mail if you do.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

jsinajeep wrote:Would you like for me to part it, oop I mean hold it for you down here? LOL :D

Absolutely, just let me spend I mean hold....several thousand of your dollars lol!!!!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Shagoneer wrote:For what it's worth I'm 5'5" and I could barely fit in my CJ5 without tasting the grease on my knees.

If you want a classic CJ I'd stick it out and wait for a cj8, if not I'd wait till the new Wrangler truck comes out next year and replace both when does.
I honestly don’t think I would ever get a ‘New’ wrangler. Man what I wouldn’t do for a nice clean unmolested LJ Rubicon though.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I understand why you'd say that, but I've looked over a number of JKs and even drove a friend's all the way from Denver to Ouray a few years ago. Despite what some "purists" say, Fiat had done a great job of keeping them true to purpose. I think they recognize that they own the whole market and intend to keep it. The last true off-road 4x4 with real shifters, hose out interiors, and as many or as few cockpit distractions as you want. I'm not in the market for a convertible, but if I were, I'd have a hard time finding points against the JK. From all I've read so far, the 2018 is just as good of not better.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Keep it.

Some of us live vicariously through your camping posts. Which, I may say, have been somewhat lacking of late.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

plasticboob

Post by plasticboob »

Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel-injected 401,Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click here for video

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Stuka wrote:So, for my response, I do not see him getting $8k for that. CJ6's are the bastard child of the CJ world, and they don't have the demand of a CJ5/CJ7/CJ8.
I respect Stuka's opinions on most things, but he has this backwards. The CJ-6s are in much higher demand than the CJ-5s, though not nearly to the level of the CJ-8 (Scrambler). Indeed I know of several CJ-5 owners that have stretched their CJ-5s to make a CJ-6, for lack of a suitable and affordable CJ-6. The longer wheelbase and additional storage makes the CJ-6 much more desirable for a build-up, anywhere from a mild resto-mod to a full rock buggy. Just as an example, I paid $3500 for my CJ-6 and paid sales tax on $5000 ... that's how the state works. They charge sales tax on the book value of the vehicle, not the sale price. In comparison, I paid tax on something like $700 for my J20, even though I paid $2000 for it. So you would be paying a premium because it's a CJ-6, and if you don't really want a CJ-6 ...

That said, a '57 may be the first year for the CJ-6 (I don't recall), but it's quite early. There was not much change year to year, and you can't necessarily tell the production year from the VIN. Typically they got assigned model years at the time of sale, based on what the dealership wrote on the registration application.

As you realize, they don't do a lot better than boulevard speed unless you really push them. The 134 was an old engine design, originating with Willys in the 1930s. It has a very long stroke, and makes lots of torque at low speed but little power for its displacement. It should have 5.38 axles, and the gearing was chosen to get the most speed with the available power. You can fit an overdrive, but they don't get much more top speed than 60 or so, and then near the peak RPM of 4000. Top speed mostly is power limited, not gearing limited. It'll tow, just not very fast.

The only top available today is the Bestop Tiger top, with canvas doors. This is what I have on my CJ-6. There was a fabric half-top available in the day, along with a Meyere steel full and half cab.

The CJs are fun to drive on the trail - you get a lot closer to the road and surroundings than a closed cabin car like a Wagoneer. So they can be a lot of fun in good weather in surroundings like you have there. I would consider this Jeep sort of like a nostalgic 4-passenger Quad, that you can drive on the street. Jeep did not sell a lot of them, though they did have a niche for uses where a CJ with extra cargo capacity was useful.
Last edited by tgreese on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
Shagoneer wrote:For what it's worth I'm 5'5" and I could barely fit in my CJ5 without tasting the grease on my knees.

I honestly don’t think I would ever get a ‘New’ wrangler. Man what I wouldn’t do for a nice clean unmolested LJ Rubicon though.
LJs are scarce and in demand, just like the CJ-6s. And CJ-8s. The longer wheelbase is desirable.

Another reason the CJ-6 is in demand over the CJ-5 - you have room to move the seat back. The CJ-5 seat back is right up against the wheel house for most drivers. I am 5' 9" and comfortable in my CJs, but taller drivers can be cramped.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I think in the long run you are going to regret selling your Wagoneer . If you did not like your Wagoneer, you would not be here asking others opinions on selling it.

You can make the Wagoneer dependable. Being a gas guzzler is cheaper still than a new car payment with a even worse insurance bill. I can afford a lot of gas and accessories for the monthly cost of a new car with money to spare.

Good luck with your decision and I hope it works out for you, George.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

bwwhaler

Post by bwwhaler »

No Way In HELL I would trade a waggy for a CJ of any kind.... Sure, there are times I wish I could take my doors and top off and cruise around, we had a new 82 CJ5 when I was growing up, and it was cool to me when I was a child, but the capabilities of a waggy are so much more. If I could afford it now, I would buy a used JK to kick around in if I had the money, but, I love to be able to fit my whole family and then some in the Waggy to go places.. we have 2 other SUV's in our family, and I still drive my Waggy every day. It is so much more reliable without a stupid computer to foul up things... I hate cars with computers, they always have some kinda of glitch that makes them throw a code for one reason or another.
1987 GW 360/727/229 Performer intake Holley 670 32's 4" BJ's Springs CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness