Help finding old article?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Many moons ago, John Cappa did an article with his J-truck, where he did a budget camping set up (what we call overlanding now). He did a dollar for dollar comparison against some other guy's Toyota with an RTT, and tons of on board electronics. Cappa put a ladder rack on his J-truck, with a sheet of plywood on it, set up his tent on the plywood, and instead of electronics for entrainment, he blew his budget on a Colt Python and just shot stuff for entertainment. I'm trying to find the article to read through it again, but I don't even remember which mag he was writing for when he did the article. Anyone that can point me in the right direction?
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Help finding old article?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I believe it was in JP.... I think. I remember the article as the magazine had a focus on over landing. Now that I think about it, maybe it was in 4wheeler? I'll ponder it some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tedlovesjeeps71

This it???

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/trav ... -red-neck/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That's it! Thanks, I was googling every combination of words I could think of and coming up short! Thanks again!
Grizzly Locker Rear

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I still call it camping. :roll:
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

I would have just slept in the bed of the truck..
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

He actually sold that truck this last spring. New owner seems like a good guy.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Does he still have his other J-truck, I think it was named "hotdog"?
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

As far as I know he has not owned that one in ages.

I think he only has his Tacoma and a nice flat fender that he just finished building.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

will e wrote:I would have just slept in the bed of the truck..
The metal is too cold, it will chill your back. The only time I slept in the truck i had to put the blanket on the floor, even with the cargo carpetting it was chilling at 3am in Death Valley in february, the sleeping bag was not enough.

Great article, time to put our $.02 list.

The tally is impressive $8052 for that camp list...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I accused him of plagerizing when the article first came out, I've rocked a ladder rack since 2010, and flying solo I put a tarp across the top and hang my hammock from corner to corner in the bed. Did Ouray that way in 2011! Even then, I doubt I was the first, so Cappa gets a pass. :P

Having done a number of overland trips with wife and baby, I think I've got a pretty good setup with the Trailhawk and ground tent, but I'm always looking at cheap ways to improve. What got me thinking about it recently is my annual drive out to Oregon and back. My wife and daughter fly out since it's to be with her family, and I drive out with my dogs so I spend more time driving and less getting my nerves worn down by in-laws.

Every year I wind up sleeping in whatever I drive out. My ZJ works, but with 140lbs of dog it's not that comfortable. This last time in the KL, it was almost a nightmare. We're kicking around the notion of renting an RV and driving together next year, but I'm also thinking of improving my J-10 set up.

My ladder rack is pretty sturdy, I welded it up solid except for one movable cross member. I'm thinking of making a pop-up soft wall (oiled canvas) tent around it. In the down position it would function as a soft shell keeping gear and dogs warm and contained, then popped up it could have some hinged counters for cooking and dishes. Maybe some jump seats and table that are camper-typical, and the obligatory over-cab bed.

Main difference from a manufactured slide-in camper is that it would never be wider than the truck bed, so all sleeping positions would be front to back, no room for side-to-side.

Still purely academic, nothing on paper.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The canvas toppers are pretty popular with the Tacoma guys. A lot of them have racks that go over them to then put extra gear on.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tedlovesjeeps71

The poor man's RTT... Image

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

letank wrote:
The metal is too cold, it will chill your back. The only time I slept in the truck i had to put the blanket on the floor, even with the cargo carpetting it was chilling at 3am in Death Valley in february, the sleeping bag was not enough.

Slept in the back of the cherokee in sub 20 degree weather a few weeks ago. An extra sleeping bag between my pad and the cherokee did wonders! The addition of a 40 degree sleeping bag made it a very tolerable experience.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

letank

Post by letank »

Nikkormat wrote:
letank wrote:

Slept in the back of the cherokee in sub 20 degree weather a few weeks ago. An extra sleeping bag between my pad and the cherokee did wonders! The addition of a 40 degree sleeping bag made it a very tolerable experience.
my 20F sleeping bag is fine in the snow with a mat, no tent needed, in february...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Get those El cheapo foam puzzle pieces they use for flooring in kid's play rooms....great insulation
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

bigun

Post by bigun »

I spent most of a summer in Basalt CO sleeping in the back under a canopy on the back of my Dodge, a full size air mattress wedge between the wheel wells. Up graded to a twin size futon mattress when the air mattress got a hole in it, added a platform just above the wheel well which allowed for storage under it. When I was in high school my brother and I spent many a night under a canvass tarp stretched over the sideboards on my 64 F-100 short bed on a platform that again allowed us to store all our fishing gear underneath it. during the day we would prop up the extra off the tailgate where would could sit and do our cooking, at night pull the props and drop the back down, a Colman lantern provided enough heat to warm it up before we went to sleep