Oh, for the love of Pete....

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
deckroid

Oh, for the love of Pete....

Post by deckroid »

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/jeep- ... -soft-top/

I often wonder about Jeep execs. They want SO much to capture the lightning in the bottle from years gone by and they give us meh Jeeps in return.

When the first JK rolled by me I thought Jeep wanted to resurrect the Hummer. Now we have this truck coming out. With diesel options.

I am not nay saying it before it even rolls into the consumer market but I am skeptical about who this is for and how much dirt these will see.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

44bz

Re: Oh, for the love of Pete....

Post by 44bz »

M715 came with a soft top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

What’s wrong with a removable top? It’s one of the things that sets Jeep apart. I was conferring a JLT, but they are only available as a quad cab which is too long for my uses. But people have been wanted a mid size truck with solid axles for ages. The Tacoma and Colorado both sell well, so there is a big demand for mid size trucks.

I have really liked both my JK’s. Had my first one for 9 trouble free years. And that includes lots of off pavement use.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’d consider getting one- then buy the conversion front clip that has the Gladiator Grill.

I wonder about the quality diesel they’d use in it, though.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

deckroid wrote: When the first JK rolled by me I thought Jeep wanted to resurrect the Hummer.
Yeah, I call them H4's. It's hilarious when you remember the Jeep suit over the Hummer grill.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

66stepside wrote:I’d consider getting one- then buy the conversion front clip that has the Gladiator Grill.

I wonder about the quality diesel they’d use in it, though.
Its the 3.0L EcoDiesel that is used in the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500.
2017 JKU Rubicon

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Pete here, LOL.
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

BCRAWLER wrote:Pete here, LOL.
Haha!

I'm waiting to see one before judging it, but I don't hate them out of hand. I don't have any use for a "truck" that can't haul a sheet of drywall, be it a Wrangler or Ferd F-teen thousand. Even so, people are buying "trucks" with seating for 6 and uselessly small beds, so nothing wrong with Jeep getting in on the action. I will laugh out loud if I see one with a removable soft top and fixed hard tanneau cover though.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

will e

Post by will e »

The 4 door wranglers, known as "Jeep Limo's" to the local club, already have a pretty long wheel base that hampers them in some wheeling situations. The truck's wheel base is even longer.

Matt, it probably seats 5, not 6. I drive a 4 door Colorado and while the bed is small it is not useless. But I didn't buy it as a work truck.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I was in the market for a new vehicle in 2015. I needed comfortable seating for 5-6 people, wanted solid axles and wanted a diesel. Jeep released that concept with the retro front end and I wanted it. I think it looks amazing and a 3-linked solid axled, F/R locked rig would have been awesome. I pictured it being the U.S. version of the Land Cruiser 79 series, which are popular in Australia and Africa but never made it to the Americas:

I was going to sell my built Tacoma and replace it. I am a fan of the 4 door, short bed layout. I haul car parts, flooring, appliances etc. I don't need a long bed for any of that. Long story short, I waited and waited. First Jeep said they weren't going to produce the FSJ looking front end. Then they pushed out the release date. So, I found a diesel Land Cruiser and have been building and wheeling that for a year now.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

will e wrote:The 4 door wranglers, known as "Jeep Limo's" to the local club, already have a pretty long wheel base that hampers them in some wheeling situations. The truck's wheel base is even longer.

Matt, it probably seats 5, not 6. I drive a 4 door Colorado and while the bed is small it is not useless. But I didn't buy it as a work truck.
The 4dr does have a harder time in some tight spots, which I have noticed going from my old 2dr to my new 4dr. But the 4dr is way more stable on hill climbs, and has TONS more space for people and gear. Going camping in the 2dr was a pain, as I had to remove the rear seat, and even then there was not much space. But the 4dr is shorter than my J10 by 3", which I wheeled all over the place.

The new JL Wrangler is longer than the JK's however as they needed to fit the ZF 8sp. The 2dr now has a 96.8" WB and the 4dr has a 118.4" WB. The truck is expected to be around 130" or so. Which is similar to the Tacoma/Colorado.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I have no problems with the way it looks or the pop top. Most the JKs around me though are driven by people who want the "cool" of Jeep and don't utilize it much beyond "It's snowing, I am going to put it in 4WD!!!" And that's ok. It's not up to me or anyone else to scoff at folks. (Although I do like to my buddy's buttons!)

I think the diesel engine will add value, if it is one that isn't so choked up with smog regulations that it breaks or dies after 5 yrs. Yeah, I am looking in YOUR direction Ford. However, seeing one of these out in the sticks of my area (which leaves dang near permanent Desert Pin Striping and divots in doors) is going to be unlikely if they cost more than 45k.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Be pretty cool if it came in a Rubicon option on top of the diesel.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Be pretty cool if it came in a Rubicon option on top of the diesel.

It will come in the similar packages as the standard JL's. Although my guess is it will only be Sport and one of the three Rubicon packages. Sahara will be a JLU only package, which now has the option of AWD for the first time in a Wrangler. Which would be nice for winter driving.
deckroid wrote:I have no problems with the way it looks or the pop top. Most the JKs around me though are driven by people who want the "cool" of Jeep and don't utilize it much beyond "It's snowing, I am going to put it in 4WD!!!" And that's ok. It's not up to me or anyone else to scoff at folks. (Although I do like to my buddy's buttons!)

I think the diesel engine will add value, if it is one that isn't so choked up with smog regulations that it breaks or dies after 5 yrs. Yeah, I am looking in YOUR direction Ford. However, seeing one of these out in the sticks of my area (which leaves dang near permanent Desert Pin Striping and divots in doors) is going to be unlikely if they cost more than 45k.
A sport trim will be in the 30's. But guarantee a Rubicon with the diesel will be over 50. The diesel will most likely be a 4-5k dollar option (Just like it is on the Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500). Vehicles as a whole are expensive, and since Wranglers sell like hot cakes, they can charge a bit more for them. But even something like a Tacoma is over 50k when loaded up, and it only has one engine option.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Id rock it if I had the money
In the market for a new FSJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Shagoneer wrote:Id rock it if I had the money
I'm still holding it for the new Grand wagoneer, but I might be tempted if they make the renegade based Comanche. :twisted:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

REDONE wrote:
Shagoneer wrote:Id rock it if I had the money
I'm still holding it for the new Grand wagoneer, but I might be tempted if they make the renegade based Comanche. :twisted:

Except from what Ive seen the price of the new Wag will be more than double the price of a JLT sport

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Yeah, but the rumor mill says the hemi is the base engine, and the turbo Maserati V-8 is the premium. If I want wife to give up the trailhawk so I can make some drop-spindle portal reduction hubs and cut the fenders, I'll have to put her in something really nice. :P

When the first article on the new Grand Wag came out and I pitched the idea to her, I said that with the kids and dogs we'd need something bigger, she said "if we ever have a $140,000 car, the kids and dogs aren't going anywhere near it!"

I love my woman! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

REDONE wrote:Yeah, but the...

... When the first article on the new Grand Wag came out and I pitched the idea to her, I said that with the kids and dogs we'd need something bigger, she said "if we ever have a $140,000 car, the kids and dogs aren't going anywhere near it!"

I love my woman! :-bd
Hahaha, that’s funny as hell: I got a good laugh on that one! That sounds like my wife, too.

On another note, what’s the story on the diesel they’re going to use? Good, bad, marginal- or??

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

At one point I told my wife about wanting a new Wag and she said if we were spending that much on an SUV "SHE" would be getting a Lexus or Range Rover..... notice that she gets the super fancy SUV and I have a truck thats 4 years younger than me.