Love the cold weather!

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
HowardT64

Love the cold weather!

Post by HowardT64 »

its 31 degrees here in Texas....Athens to be specific....And I love it:) I "KNOW" If I went downstairs right now, and got in my Jeep, it would fire right up! And since the heater works well ...I'd be a HAPPY camper :) Some reason though, Jeeps seem to like colder weather...not sure why. Does not really matter I suppose :)

Peace folks :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

MadMax78

Re: Love the cold weather!

Post by MadMax78 »

Me as well. Wish I could ride around with my tractor windows open. It'd be a bit noisy though.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Haha! The only time it was "too cold" for my Jeep was when it was recorded -17°F with unknown wind chill, and my battery literally froze solid, ripping the plastic shell to pieces. That was a tough morning, but the exception to be sure!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I used to have that issue when I lived in Wyoming...I put a light bulb under the hood next to the battery but not touching it. :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

HowardT64 wrote:I used to have that issue when I lived in Wyoming...I put a light bulb under the hood next to the battery but not touching it. :)
I still live here. Seems like I have to buy a battery for something every winter. Last year was my DD when I stayed in a hotel one night and couldn't plug in the tank heater. It only got down to -21 that night! :banghead: :lol:
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I used to live in Cheyenne and remember the misery! I was a recruiter with the Navy (keep in mind I was born and raised outside of Grand Junction, CO). One morning I woke up and the furnace was going full-blast but there was still a chill all through my house. I got all dressed and ate and ready for work, but I tried to leave and couldn't open the door to my house! I wasn't put off by the frost too thick to see through on my door window, but broke the ice and saw that the snow was at least 5ft deep blocking my door. I called my station commander to say I was snowed in and he said "do you have a back door? Go try that one.". I felt like such a dunce, growing up in snow country. Sure enough, it was just a snow drift piled up on the front of my house, roads were practically dry. :roll:
Grizzly Locker Rear

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

REDONE wrote:I used to live in Cheyenne and remember the misery! I was a recruiter with the Navy (keep in mind I was born and raised outside of Grand Junction, CO). One morning I woke up and the furnace was going full-blast but there was still a chill all through my house. I got all dressed and ate and ready for work, but I tried to leave and couldn't open the door to my house! I wasn't put off by the frost too thick to see through on my door window, but broke the ice and saw that the snow was at least 5ft deep blocking my door. I called my station commander to say I was snowed in and he said "do you have a back door? Go try that one.". I felt like such a dunce, growing up in snow country. Sure enough, it was just a snow drift piled up on the front of my house, roads were practically dry. :roll:
ROFL! I did the very same thing in North Dakota when the snow drifted up to the door handle on my 50 Wrecker. It was suggested I try the door on the OTHER side... :D

I love cold weather though. The house I was living in up there was kept just warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing and I was in heaven.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Tatsadasayago wrote:
I love cold weather though. The house I was living in up there was kept just warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing and I was in heaven.
Yep. I fired up the wood stove last Thursday for the first fire of the winter. I know exactly what you mean. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I miss those days up in the frozen tundra ;)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

I would rather deal with 115* then shoveling snow any time
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

fxtechphx wrote:I would rather deal with 115* then shoveling snow any time
I understand and different strokes for different folks. I see white sandy beaches and palm trees and all I can think of is disease and poverty that is associated with such areas. Even Hawaii was a dumping ground for the mentally ill and chronically poor when state homes were abolished (most people don't know that), but we DO know that we send old folks to Florida to wait for death. As for 115 degrees, had my fill of that in the Persian gulf, haha! Now snow on the other hand, that's my idea of paradise! :D I hope my daughter loves the snow too, but she should since she was born during a blizzard. :P

Here's my recipe for heaven on earth: Freezing weather+hot shower+cool pillow+dog-warmed bed. :oops:
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'm with REDONE on this one. Too many years of my life spent in some nasty-hot sandbox. I'd much rather stretch out by a roaring fire than try and find some way to stay cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

You can always put another layer of clothing on. Can only take so many off...
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I'm with you cold weather guys... when I feel the brisk weather of fall, I get excited! I fired up the wood stove for the first time this past weekend. And I finished the in-door portion of my wood-stack!

1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

Between being stationed in El Centro, two deployments to the Persian Gulf, and this heck-hole of a dust bowl I'm real tired of the heat. Sometimes I miss good old Illinois winters, but I don't care for the hot humid summers. I can't wait to go back to Washington.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed