TJ dead, reviving the Wagoneer.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
lindel

TJ dead, reviving the Wagoneer.

Post by lindel »

Welp, my TJ has died of cancer. At the moment, the only transportation I have is the wife's 87 GW (maybe now, she'll allow me to spend a little cash to fix stuff on it).

It's running fairly well, but has some issues (what FSJ doesn't?). I'm tracing down leaks, mostly oil and exhaust, and working on getting windows/doors functional.

That said, I'm happy to be back, and hello to all you FSJ'ers!
Lindel

Don S

Re: TJ dead, reviving the Wagoneer.

Post by Don S »

Well I missed you!

Have a good one.. Don S

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Did the frame rust out or something?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Yup, nothing left to weld the control arm brackets back to. I could replace the frame, but then I'd need to replace ALL the body mounts. I can pull bits of them off with my fingers.

I was afraid to wash it, cuz the rust was the only thing holding it together!
Lindel

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Don, it's good to see you. I'm done with Chicago, and am back in Irving.
Lindel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ouch, so happy we have no rust here.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

It's a Chicagoland Jeep, so no great surprise. I'm not real happy about it, given the $15,000 it took to get it to the level it's at (just in parts...), but it is what it is.

I should be able to part it out, and get some of the investment back on it.
Lindel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Or find another TJ and swap your stuff over.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah find a stock TJ from the Southwest.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Already got a VW Jetta for transportation. If I had a place to do the work, I would. As it is, I'm living in an apartment complex, and I doubt they'd appreciate 2 TJ's being spread over 3 or 4 parking places while I swap things over.

I'll pick up another small Jeep along the way...I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Lindel

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lindel wrote:Already got a VW Jetta for transportation. If I had a place to do the work, I would. As it is, I'm living in an apartment complex, and I doubt they'd appreciate 2 TJ's being spread over 3 or 4 parking places while I swap things over.

I'll pick up another small Jeep along the way...I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Next wrangler is the JL. Its started production but wont hit dealers till late December, early January. Diesel won't be for another year it looks like. I was tempted to wait for a JL, but didn't feel like dealing with early production reliability issues. So got a new JK instead. After 10 years in production they have things pretty ironed out.
2017 JKU Rubicon

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Nikkormat wrote:Yeah find a stock TJ from the Southwest.
I've heard this before and I'm curious - why just the southwest? Why not the rest of the (non-coastal) south? I'm in Raleigh NC. I have a 97 TJ and was under it a few days ago - it is totally rust free, except for a little surface rust on a few parts that I've scraped on rocks :o It's been my daily driver since I bought it in 2000. It is garaged, but I haven't done anything special. It's probably been washed less than 5 times in the 17 years I've owned it. :oops:

Is mine special? (thinks not) I grew up in the rust belt, so I know what salt does to cars. Salt usage is very rare here.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

NC has some clean sheet metal in it. But in general things are cheaper where there are less people. At least vehicles are. 4wds are also more common out here.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

merrill77 wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:Yeah find a stock TJ from the Southwest.
I've heard this before and I'm curious - why just the southwest? Why not the rest of the (non-coastal) south? I'm in Raleigh NC. I have a 97 TJ and was under it a few days ago - it is totally rust free, except for a little surface rust on a few parts that I've scraped on rocks :o It's been my daily driver since I bought it in 2000. It is garaged, but I haven't done anything special. It's probably been washed less than 5 times in the 17 years I've owned it. :oops:

Is mine special? (thinks not) I grew up in the rust belt, so I know what salt does to cars. Salt usage is very rare here.
Typically vehicles along the coast are still exposed to salt. be it from going through the rust belt, or just being on the coast itself. The south west is extremely dry most of the year. Not only is there no salt, there is no water.

My J10 for instance still has a factory black frame. Even the axles are still mostly black.
2017 JKU Rubicon

letank

Post by letank »

lindel wrote:I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Diesel, honestly with all the flak that has happened recently, there are serious doubts that manufacturers, Euro manufacturers will put more diesel on the line for consumers. In Europe, there is a big slump on diesel sales -cars- Most of my friends have switched from diesel to gasser, because, there are going to be some penalties, 1) price of diesel that was 30% cheaper is going to go up every year until it reaches the price of gas, 2) most large cities have enacted rules to prevent diesel vehicles to travel thru in time of pollution spikes, 3) there was another cheat scandal in progress this spring about Renault, Peugeot and Citroen... and probably Fiat as well, sorry FCA

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/busi ... .html?_r=0
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

letank wrote:
lindel wrote:I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Diesel, honestly with all the flak that has happened recently, there are serious doubts that manufacturers, Euro manufacturers will put more diesel on the line for consumers. In Europe, there is a big slump on diesel sales -cars- Most of my friends have switched from diesel to gasser, because, there are going to be some penalties, 1) price of diesel that was 30% cheaper is going to go up every year until it reaches the price of gas, 2) most large cities have enacted rules to prevent diesel vehicles to travel thru in time of pollution spikes, 3) there was another cheat scandal in progress this spring about Renault, Peugeot and Citroen... and probably Fiat as well, sorry FCA

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/busi ... .html?_r=0
European diesel sales are dropping because they stopped subsiding the cars. For over a decade the government would subsidize the car and the fuel. They wanted everybody on a diesel. Now, they aren't. So of course diesel sales will fall because now they cost more to buy than a gas model.

FCA was flagged for the 3.0L EcoDiesel here in the US, but that has already been cleared up as it only had to do with the changes the software would make to prevent engine damage.
2017 JKU Rubicon

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Rust Never Sleeps. Good luck!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

derf

Post by derf »

lindel wrote:Don, it's good to see you. I'm done with Chicago, and am back in Irving.
Welcome back a couple days late.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

derf wrote:
lindel wrote:Don, it's good to see you. I'm done with Chicago, and am back in Irving.
Welcome back a couple days late.
Thanks, Roy. How's things in your neck of the woods? Still in Colorado?
Lindel

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Stuka wrote:
lindel wrote:Already got a VW Jetta for transportation. If I had a place to do the work, I would. As it is, I'm living in an apartment complex, and I doubt they'd appreciate 2 TJ's being spread over 3 or 4 parking places while I swap things over.

Next wrangler is the JL. Its started production but wont hit dealers till late December, early January. Diesel won't be for another year it looks like. I was tempted to wait for a JL, but didn't feel like dealing with early production reliability issues. So got a new JK instead. After 10 years in production they have things pretty ironed out.
The JT will be a 2019 release, and the diesel should be the same one they're putting in the Grand Cherokee right now. There have been videos of Jeeps JT test mule pulling enclosed tandem trailers, so I suspect a tow rating in the 6000 to 7000 pound neighborhood.
Lindel