TJ dead, reviving the Wagoneer.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
lindel

Re: TJ dead, reviving the Wagoneer.

Post by lindel »

letank wrote:
lindel wrote:I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Diesel, honestly with all the flak that has happened recently, there are serious doubts that manufacturers, Euro manufacturers will put more diesel on the line for consumers. In Europe, there is a big slump on diesel sales -cars- Most of my friends have switched from diesel to gasser, because, there are going to be some penalties, 1) price of diesel that was 30% cheaper is going to go up every year until it reaches the price of gas, 2) most large cities have enacted rules to prevent diesel vehicles to travel thru in time of pollution spikes, 3) there was another cheat scandal in progress this spring about Renault, Peugeot and Citroen... and probably Fiat as well, sorry FCA

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/busi ... .html?_r=0

FCA has already confirmed the diesel in Jeeps. In fact, you can get a Grand Cherokee with a diesel, right now.

https://www.jeep.com/grand-cherokee/capability.html
Lindel

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

fulsizjeep wrote:Rust Never Sleeps. Good luck!
Thanks, Flint. How's things?
Lindel

derf

Post by derf »

lindel wrote:
derf wrote:
lindel wrote:Don, it's good to see you. I'm done with Chicago, and am back in Irving.
Welcome back a couple days late.
Thanks, Roy. How's things in your neck of the woods? Still in Colorado?
Things are good. The truck is finally running. The project I'm working on is getting set for the next phase which will move me to Salt Lake City early next year.

How's life treating you?
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

lindel wrote:
Stuka wrote:
lindel wrote:Already got a VW Jetta for transportation. If I had a place to do the work, I would. As it is, I'm living in an apartment complex, and I doubt they'd appreciate 2 TJ's being spread over 3 or 4 parking places while I swap things over.

I'll pick up another small Jeep along the way...I might just wait till they start producing the JT, with a diesel...
Next wrangler is the JL. Its started production but wont hit dealers till late December, early January. Diesel won't be for another year it looks like. I was tempted to wait for a JL, but didn't feel like dealing with early production reliability issues. So got a new JK instead. After 10 years in production they have things pretty ironed out.
The JT will be a 2019 release, and the diesel should be the same one they're putting in the Grand Cherokee right now. There have been videos of Jeeps JT test mule pulling enclosed tandem trailers, so I suspect a tow rating in the 6000 to 7000 pound neighborhood.
Oh, you are referencing the truck. I am betting it won't actually be listed as a JT, but yeah, 2019 model year is what it is looking like. My issue is that the truck is going to be a mile long. I REALLY wanted it, until I found out the JL is already longer than the JK, plus the extra length of the truck. Its just too long for usage offroad here.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote: European diesel sales are dropping because they stopped subsiding the cars. For over a decade the government would subsidize the car and the fuel.
Diesel Cars were not subsidized but electric are and probably newer low emission ones are -a la cash for clunkers- even electric bicycles for $240 until year end and you do not have to bring back your old 2 stroke moped.

In fact the sale taxe is (was) less on diesel, and even less sale tax on diesel for farming which has a red dye, so you do not use it in regular cars -so if there is a control, the diesel police can spot it, not too sure where it can be done nowadays with FI, and no easy access to the fuel tank.

french tax per gallon of diesel is $1.89 and for gas $2.69 what a nice way to pad government spending, and there is still a deficit...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

lindel wrote:Thanks, Flint. How's things?
It's wall to wall 401s and 91 octane, thanks Lindel.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

derf wrote:
lindel wrote:
derf wrote:Welcome back a couple days late.
Things are good. The truck is finally running. The project I'm working on is getting set for the next phase which will move me to Salt Lake City early next year.

How's life treating you?
Not bad, aside from the TJ's early demise. I figure I'll give the FAA another 4.5 years, and the call it a career. Planning on the Longview area (don't mention to the wife that it's close to Barnwell Mtn...).

I'm to the point now that I can tell the boss, "Three bad days, and I'm out".
Lindel

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Stuka wrote:
lindel wrote:
Stuka wrote:
Next wrangler is the JL. Its started production but wont hit dealers till late December, early January. Diesel won't be for another year it looks like. I was tempted to wait for a JL, but didn't feel like dealing with early production reliability issues. So got a new JK instead. After 10 years in production they have things pretty ironed out.
The JT will be a 2019 release, and the diesel should be the same one they're putting in the Grand Cherokee right now. There have been videos of Jeeps JT test mule pulling enclosed tandem trailers, so I suspect a tow rating in the 6000 to 7000 pound neighborhood.
Oh, you are referencing the truck. I am betting it won't actually be listed as a JT, but yeah, 2019 model year is what it is looking like. My issue is that the truck is going to be a mile long. I REALLY wanted it, until I found out the JL is already longer than the JK, plus the extra length of the truck. Its just too long for usage offroad here.

It'll work for what we have around here, and it will get me back into 1: a truck, and 2: a jeep...all at the same time, without the hassles of having to work on it for a few years.
Lindel

derf

Post by derf »

lindel wrote:
derf wrote:
lindel wrote:

How's life treating you?
Not bad, aside from the TJ's early demise. I figure I'll give the FAA another 4.5 years, and the call it a career. Planning on the Longview area (don't mention to the wife that it's close to Barnwell Mtn...).

I'm to the point now that I can tell the boss, "Three bad days, and I'm out".
It's nice to be in that position. I probably still have another 20 years. But I'm getting to the position where I can tell the bureaucrats where to stuff it. To a point. Directors and vice presidents know who I am and what I can do, and I have other friends in high places willing to back me up when I'm right. So it's not all bad.

I'm going to run this project out in Utah for a couple three years and then see what else is happening back in the Denver office and see if I can mosey on back. Or move on to the next adventure.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Welcome back to the dark side!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
lindel

Post by lindel »

Thank you!
Lindel