"feeler" for sale

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
68glad

"feeler" for sale

Post by 68glad »

Just ranting cuz i'm bored. :lol: It might just be me but I don't understand the "feelers" for selling things. Seems like a waste of time. You either want to sell or you don't. Does anyone ever make an offer so great one can't refuse on a "feeler"? Everyone seems to want things as cheap as possible, but without a price there's no starting point. "Feelers" are people who know they are gonna ask too much $$$ imo.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: "feeler" for sale

Post by Stuka »

Sometimes people just don't know what something is worth. If they can get over X amount, they will sell. But if they can't, its better to just keep it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'll rant too.

Someone left a note in my CJ asking if I was interested in selling it.

It didn't have a sign on it so why ask? If she wanted to make an offer I guess that wouldn't bug me but I'm thinking if I called the number and said sure, 10k, she'd have gotten all upset and said no way it's worth that.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
68glad

Post by 68glad »

SJTD wrote: It didn't have a sign on it so why ask? If she wanted to make an offer I guess that wouldn't bug me but I'm thinking if I called the number and said sure, 10k, she'd have gotten all upset and said no way it's worth that.
Exactly. She was just putting out a "feeler". Total waste of time. If she was serious she should have made an offer. The response you'd get would surely have been as you stated.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

Topic author
68glad

Post by 68glad »

Stuka wrote:Sometimes people just don't know what something is worth.
Then it shouldn't be in the for sale section. This happens in alot of forums, not just here. Just ranting about it here in a "safe space". :lol:
68 Gladiator- RIP

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

For what it's worth, I agree that feelers are kinda rude to begin with, and have more propensity for getting your feelers hurt than facilitating a sale. I have a highly desirable thing I'll be selling eventually, but I'll post it for a price when I'm ready. In the mean time, if there's someone I'd "cut a deal", I'll contact them directly. Just outright, my special thing is worth $1000 to me. At the same time; charity, friendship, or contributing to something amazing all have value too. I'm not going to "Jeff Bezos" this thing though, just to see who shakes the biggest carrot at me. :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I posted a 'Feeler' some months ago, but I did it in a different section than For Sale. You might want to lighten up a bit however...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

derf

Post by derf »

I thought selling "feelers" was illegal everywhere outside of Nevada...
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I saw a feeler once on Hotel Street in Honolulu. It did not appear to be user friendly though.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I often see the listings [mostly Craigslist] that list a ridiculous high price for an item or OBO. How do you even make an offer when their starting price is 4 xs the offer you would make. :shock: For example:
1978 J10 truck, engine ran 4 years ago when it was parked--may need carb tuning, bed and cab have rust, no tailgate, AC needs charged, all seats need recovered and the dash pad is cracked. This is a CLASSIC project worth a million dollars when restored. Asking $10000 OBO. Serious offers only

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

Tell them your at 2k where are they really at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really are judged by the dogs you have!

az chip

Post by az chip »

derf wrote:I thought selling "feelers" was illegal everywhere outside of Nevada...
Only if you pay for it. Apparently buying a house, clothes, food, and college is not "paying it for it" according to my source. (wife).
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I will add that Craigslist postings that do not list an asking price really annoy me..
“reasonable offers only” and “No lowball offers, I know what I have and what it is worth.” but not listing asking price.
Go to ebay if you want to play that game. Just one of my pet peeves.

Most of the threads (typically by newbies or drive-bys) asking “what is my diamond in the rough worth?” seem to end with their feelings hurt by the folks here who have a realistic view of the FSJ market. And I don’t think anyone here is trying to steal their precious gem.. “I saw one on Barrett Jackson or wherever sell for $$$$, so my leaking rig with 215k miles and a torn up interior must be worth $$$.”
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

So you have to get me started on Craig's List.

In my ads I say "Call, texts will be ignored". Still get texts.

Then there's the clowns that say will you take $ for it. So, are you offering that for something you haven't seen? The only time I ask a question like that is if the item is too high and far away to buy at the asking price. Then I explain why I'm talking money on something I haven't even looked at.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.