Any Electricians Out there?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
SJTD

Any Electricians Out there?

Post by SJTD »

Putting a new outside door in a bedroom and want to add an outside light.

The roof is only a 4/12 slope so I can't get to the existing light fixture without crawling flat through blown in glass wool insulation. Even then I'm not sure I could get over there.

Is there anything in the NEC that disallows a porch light being on the same circuit as the wall outlets? Don't remember running across such a restriction but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It would seem to go against convention.

Other option is to cut a hole in the ceiling next to the existing light to work through. Wouldn't be a big deal except I've already finished removing the popcorn and floating and painting the ceiling. Advantage of doing this is I can put an additional switch for the existing light next to the new door.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

BCRAWLER

Re: Any Electricians Out there?

Post by BCRAWLER »

From your description it sounds like you're cutting in a new door to the outside from this bedroom. If so when you cut in your door frame it will allow you access to the top plate of the wall. Simply drill the top plate and use a fish tape available from Home Depot to pull the wire down into your cavity. Do not drill too far or you will poke a hole in your roof which would not be good. You can then drill a hole either left or right into the next cavity for your switch and Light. Here in Canada the circuit run to a bedroom Powers the plugs and Light. Not an electrician but that is how my older house is wired. I do commercial low voltage wiring for Telecommunications, data networks,pa systems, and security/cctv/ access .
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
SJTD

Re: Any Electricians Out there?

Post by SJTD »

You make it sound so easy.

Have the hole in the plate. Simply fish the wire huh? What wire? Trying to tie into the overhead light fixture. Different than snagging a loose network cable. Did I mention there's next to no access up there? Between the rafters, rafter ties and joists the snake goes where it wants.

I've seen the pictures, rather "illustrations" of how you run one snake up through the plate and the other up through the light fixture box and hook them together. Looks good in the picher book.

Years ago I ran the network cable into this room but I can't remember how I did it. I think it was when I was reroofing and drilled the plate from above, fed the cable down and snagged it through the hole in the wall.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.