Chinese company wants to Buy Jeep ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Re: Chinese company wants to Buy Jeep ?

Post by candymancan »

Im not denying new Jeeps are better off-road then old Jeeps. Compare stock for stock. But then you do need to have the 40,000$ trailhawks. The Laredo's and base models still only have open differentials.

I looked at the Laredo/trailhawk grand cherokee the other day and the Laredo didnt even have an option for the off-roading like the limited/trailhawk had. No lever no buttons nothing. Its using an older style Quadra Trac/drive 1 transfercase too.

But i will say the Trailhawks with electronic diff, lift suspension are better then a old open diff FSJ and ZJ or WJ.

My mom loved the new 2017 Grand cherokee trailhawk we looked at and she deserves one after drving her 4.0 ZJ for 19 years with no new vehicle. But the only feature she and I both hated was the engine shut off feature at a red light. I dont care how safe you think they are. they still sound dangerous to me and while it did have a button to turn it off. It should have a memory feature to remember you want it off, because once you shut your Jeep off you have to push the button again to keep the feature disabled. In fact i know one car manufacturer that had issues with that feature where in 100f days the engine would shut off and stay off leaving people stuck at red lights. :banghead:
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

One of my favorite parts of the trailhawk package on my Cherokee is that the bottom is completely armored. It's not "slide across boulders" armored, but it's "slide over rocks between the ruts" armored. Not going to snag a brake line or pinch the exhaust.

Jeep had stood behind it, too. We knew that being a first year that the Uconnect had a known issue, so we told them it was acting up and they replaced it with the fixed version no questions asked. We also knew the transmissions had a fraction of a percent failure rate for the 4lo, but that it was getting a ton of bad press, so we wheeled it until it broke. Again, full replacement for the improved version, no questions asked. (I asked about a break in procedure and the shop manager told me "yeah, try to break it again. It's a Jeep.").

The lack of flex is more than compensated by the locker and traction control, as well as the long arm independent suspension I love the feeling I get on three wheels or flying down rough roads that would rattle my fillings out in my SJ or ZJ.

In three years when it's paid off, we'll get something bigger (presumably a new Wagoneer provided is not Chinese) for my wife to drive and THEN I can start modifying the TH. I want to make some dropped spindle gear reduction hubs, enlarge the wheel wells and get some 33s under it. :mrgreen:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Engine start-stop can be disabled in vehicle settings.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

REDONE wrote:One of my favorite parts of the trailhawk package on my Cherokee is that the bottom is completely armored. It's not "slide across boulders" armored, but it's "slide over rocks between the ruts" armored. Not going to snag a brake line or pinch the exhaust.

Jeep had stood behind it, too. We knew that being a first year that the Uconnect had a known issue, so we told them it was acting up and they replaced it with the fixed version no questions asked. We also knew the transmissions had a fraction of a percent failure rate for the 4lo, but that it was getting a ton of bad press, so we wheeled it until it broke. Again, full replacement for the improved version, no questions asked. (I asked about a break in procedure and the shop manager told me "yeah, try to break it again. It's a Jeep.").

The lack of flex is more than compensated by the locker and traction control, as well as the long arm independent suspension I love the feeling I get on three wheels or flying down rough roads that would rattle my fillings out in my SJ or ZJ.

In three years when it's paid off, we'll get something bigger (presumably a new Wagoneer provided is not Chinese) for my wife to drive and THEN I can start modifying the TH. I want to make some dropped spindle gear reduction hubs, enlarge the wheel wells and get some 33s under it. :mrgreen:

Yea my mom wants the trailhawk for the off-roading features, the lifting it can do. and she likes how the entire underside is armored. She doesnt do off-roading but she still wants it lol.

As for bigger inside, I will agree. Its kinda small inside at least for the trunk area. Its not that wide either. compared my ZJ to it side by side and the ZJ seems like it has 6 inches more width.

As for disabling the shut off, according to the salesman the only way to shut it off is pushing a button which he showed us, but there is no way to perm keep it off like when you park go to store and come back itll be activated again and you have to push the dumb button again. Is there a way to perm to keep it off ?

Another thing i dont like is the electric push start, no gauges at all you have to cycle through them to find your oil pressure and so forth. Seems like a downgrade and takes time to flip through 20 options. Vs just glancing down to look at the gauges.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
REDONE wrote:
Kaiserman wrote:
New Jeeps are junk econo boxes with no legitimate off road or work ability. The the sole exception being the Wrangler.
Last weekend I lead this convoy with my 2014 Cherokee TH across 500 miles, 100 of which was WY double track and another 40 was WY washboard. We went to the White River National Forest, Fantasy Canyon, Dinosaur National Monument, Green Mountain (Wyoming, north of Rawlins), all the way into the hinterlands in the path of totality for the eclipse. Remember, pics never do the trail justice.

You don't have to like new Jeeps, but mine did everything a stock 1979 Cherokee Chief Widetrack could do, and it got 32mpg doing it. I felt bad for all those straight axles across the washboard too. I had to stop every so often to let them catch up, and I felt like I was going slow!
Not bashing your rig at all. I am very curious to see how these newer jeeps hold up loooong term. Will they still be functional and have value in 20-30 years? For me it's more the fact that much of them, while generally well engineered, are made of plastics and lighter/ fairly automobile duty parts. Plastic tends to break down over time and become brittle. Light duty components may last, may not. May simply require more maintenance as they do start to wear out... I honestly can't say. I'm curious to find out. I wonder if in 50 years there will be a website for those who are collecting and restoring their 1st gen renegade or compass...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish I'd known. I was on Green mtn days before you and will be back there for deer season. Would have been awesome to meet up with y'all.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Love that song. Huge RUSH fan. First real concert I ever saw. 1981 or 82? Does anyone here buy anything made in China? I know it is almost unavoidable, especially if you shop at Walmart, but I try my best not for political reasons so much as I don't have a lot of money and can't waste it on junk. I will gladly pay two or three times as much for a tool made in USA, Europe or even Mexico because it will last 5 to 10 times as long. Been bitten by the Harbor Freight junk too many times. Like the new Jeep's or not, I think they are worth buying if they fit your needs but they won't be if they go to China.
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I wonder how that engine stop feature will work for manual transmissions?

My JK(12) has some sort of hill assist feature that annoys the hell out of me. Stopped at a red-light on a hill and the jeep will apply extra braking pressure for about a minute. After that minute or so with your foot still on the brake in the same position the Jeep starts rolling back until you apply more brake pressure.

Part of it can be shut off but must be done every time you start the Jeep.

On the other hand it is an awesome feature to have for off-roading!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I wonder how that engine stop feature will work for manual transmissions?

My JK(12) has some sort of hill assist feature that annoys the hell out of me. Stopped at a red-light on a hill and the jeep will apply extra braking pressure for about a minute. After that minute or so with your foot still on the brake in the same position the Jeep starts rolling back until you apply more brake pressure.

Part of it can be shut off but must be done every time you start the Jeep.

On the other hand it is an awesome feature to have for off-roading!

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
My guess is the manual won't have it, as you end up with a very jerky stop. And since the manual will only be available behind the base 3.6L on the JL, it will be low production.
2017 JKU Rubicon

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Everyones forgetting Dodge/Chrysler history. SCirus bought the failing company as an investment to FLIP with $3 billion in assets and $7 billion in retirement/Union liability. Then Diamler bought it and fired the CEOs and raped the technolgies. Then it was rolled over to Fiat for whatever reasons [IDK-access to US market] and now Fiat is looking to unload it [because of the Liability of Pentions/retirements etc]. No company can keep Dodge/Chrysler because of the long term expenses. Now the Chinese want it to get access to the US market and to capture the technology. After a few years, they'll also look to unload it due to the long term liability. Dodge is dying a slow death :|
I was talking to a local Ford stuward and he was bragging that Ford only has 5 retirees for every one currently working and he said that that was an acceptable/Fluid ratio [What!] and that Doge has a ratio of 9:1---yikes

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

rocklaurence wrote:Everyones forgetting Dodge/Chrysler history. SCirus bought the failing company as an investment to FLIP with $3 billion in assets and $7 billion in retirement/Union liability. Then Diamler bought it and fired the CEOs and raped the technolgies. Then it was rolled over to Fiat for whatever reasons [IDK-access to US market] and now Fiat is looking to unload it [because of the Liability of Pentions/retirements etc]. No company can keep Dodge/Chrysler because of the long term expenses. Now the Chinese want it to get access to the US market and to capture the technology. After a few years, they'll also look to unload it due to the long term liability. Dodge is dying a slow death :|
I was talking to a local Ford stuward and he was bragging that Ford only has 5 retirees for every one currently working and he said that that was an acceptable/Fluid ratio [What!] and that Doge has a ratio of 9:1---yikes
So the common denominator is long term pensions (likely insisted upon by the unions) and retirees living too long?
You'd think some of the bean counters would simply create a lump sum payout to all retirees or push them to non-parent company investments. As long as those hang over the heads of any business it will continue to be an albatross to profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Yes, these crazy benefits made by Collective Bargaining is killing large businesses and City/State bureaucracies. Look at the cities/states that are bankrupt that wont be able to pay for the benefits promised.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, we have had several cities here in California go bankrupt because of the giant pensions that were offered back in the 60's-90's.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Fiat bought Chrysler because obama gave them an ultimatum. This was when the car companies were bailed out and he brought out cash for clunkers..

Fiat was allowed to buy them because of pressure from thr obama administration..

As for oensions.. even large salaries are whats killing american companies.. Unions are a scourge.. No one working on an assembly line should be making the crazy amounts they make.. Like carrier employees.. a lot of them make 17-25$ an hour.. For putting together one or two compoments using power tools on an assemply line...

Like workers on detriot for chrysler they make about 20$ an hour.. Thats insaine if you ask me... NO wonder these companies want to outsource to mexico for 6$ an hour

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I highly encourage anyone interested to look up the Ludlow Massacre regarding collective bargaining, but that's wholly off topic. Just remember there's two sides to every coin and the top 1% has seen orders of magnitude increases in pay while the other 99% has been stagnant.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote:Fiat bought Chrysler because obama gave them an ultimatum. This was when the car companies were bailed out and he brought out cash for clunkers..

Fiat was allowed to buy them because of pressure from thr obama administration..
Pretty good, from ultimatum, to pressure, the following article mentioned "favored". As usual a little nudge goes a long way... toward your friend the bankers... in the end it is always about billions.
Audi is ready to sell the motorcycle brand Ducati... but there are too many interested parties, the Unions, VW who owns Audi,... so the sale will be delayed... VW has to pay some money$ due to the dieselgate, back to our scheduled program:

in this article

https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtoury ... f7e73367d7

With the announcement of Chrysler’s bankruptcy, President Barack Obama favored a reorganization plan which would allow unsecured creditors to essentially leapfrog the claims of Chrysler’s first-lien lenders. In what appeared an obvious breach of the Constitution, the U.S. government’s plan transferred a majority of Chrysler’s reorganized stock over to Fiat and unsecured creditors for no consideration other than a promise to build more fuel-efficient vehicles in the U.S. over time. Chrysler’s Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (“VEBA”) Trust, a trust fund formed to provide benefits to Chrysler’s retirees, received the initial majority of Chrysler’s reorganized stock under the plan. However, over time Fiat was able to earn/purchase a majority stake in Chrysler by exercising lucrative options it received under the U.S. government’s plan.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

letank wrote:
With the announcement of Chrysler’s bankruptcy, President Barack Obama favored a reorganization plan which would allow unsecured creditors to essentially leapfrog the claims of Chrysler’s first-lien lenders. In what appeared an obvious breach of the Constitution, the U.S. government’s plan transferred a majority of Chrysler’s reorganized stock over to Fiat and unsecured creditors for no consideration other than a promise to build more fuel-efficient vehicles in the U.S. over time. Chrysler’s Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association (“VEBA”) Trust, a trust fund formed to provide benefits to Chrysler’s retirees, received the initial majority of Chrysler’s reorganized stock under the plan. However, over time Fiat was able to earn/purchase a majority stake in Chrysler by exercising lucrative options it received under the U.S. government’s plan.

For a "Constitutional scholar".... He sure allowed, if not personally pushed, for a goodly number of UNconstitutional acts... Image

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: For a "Constitutional scholar".... He sure allowed, if not personally pushed, for a goodly number of UNconstitutional acts... Image
They say Satan knows the bible better than anyone...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

letank wrote:
candymancan wrote:Fiat bought Chrysler because obama gave them an ultimatum. This was when the car companies were bailed out and he brought out cash for clunkers..

Pretty good, from ultimatum, to pressure, the following article mentioned "favored". As usual a little nudge goes a long way... toward your friend the bankers... in the end it is always about billions.
whats your point. oressure and ultimatum.. he did both. He did a lot of slimey BEEP but i wont get into that.. lol

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Stop with the political talk. Only warning.
2017 JKU Rubicon