Chinese company wants to Buy Jeep ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Chinese company wants to Buy Jeep ?

Post by candymancan »

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/c ... 585162001/

All over the news.. seriously. I hope it doesnt happen because if it does Jeep is going to be dead to me.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

MadMax78

Re: Chinese company wants to Buy Jeep ?

Post by MadMax78 »

I'm with you candyman. If FCA sells Jeep to any outside company I am done as well. I don't see them them doing this though. Jeep is their bread and butter. They are idiots if they sell it.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FCA won sell Jeep. Its their most profitable brand. Another chinese company was wanting to buy FCA as a whole, and FCA said no. I cannot think of any reason for them to want to sell Jeep.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Ltpro

Post by Ltpro »

This will not end well ...

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

They try and they try but can not beat the original...

Jeep Scrambler name to return on new pickup, report says
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/08/22/ ... -says.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I believe the Jeep brand died when they put out a vehicle that was fairly indistinguishable from the others. I only knew the new Cherokee was a Jeep by the emblems. I suppose I don't care if some Chinese outfit buys the brand.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

MadMax78 wrote:I'm with you candyman. If FCA sells Jeep to any outside company I am done as well. I don't see them them doing this though. Jeep is their bread and butter. They are idiots if they sell it.

read what the ceo said. he said they havebt talked to them.. but hes open yo splitting Jeep away into its own company if hes for that the im sure hed be open to selling it for a ton of money too.

Yea if it wasnt for the front of the Jeeps i couldnt tell if they are Jeeps or another suv.. but then all vehicles today look identical.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I believe the Jeep brand died when they put out a vehicle that was fairly indistinguishable from the others. I only knew the new Cherokee was a Jeep by the emblems. I suppose I don't care if some Chinese outfit buys the brand.
You mean like the Wagoneer? A four door station wagon that looked nothing like a Jeep and was marketed to women?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Or the XJ? With it's tiny engines, linked front suspension and complete lack of body-on-frame construction? :P
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

It's safe to say that the Xj rescued AMC/jeep/Chrysler as it's sales were excellent. Not many were buying CJs by the 80s and the YJ did poorly. I get that, it's a final decision to save a dying company. But is jeep/feep today dying?? It seems that they sell every JK they can make. GC sales aren't horrible either. I see lots of the non-jeep jeeps on the road (liberty/patriot/compass/ renegade/etc) so they must be selling some, no?
I'm not happy with the idea of a communist company owning jeep. It screams anti American to me. An Italian or German company is bad enough. I guess we shall see what happens.

Kaiserman

Post by Kaiserman »

Stuka wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:I believe the Jeep brand died when they put out a vehicle that was fairly indistinguishable from the others. I only knew the new Cherokee was a Jeep by the emblems. I suppose I don't care if some Chinese outfit buys the brand.
You mean like the Wagoneer? A four door station wagon that looked nothing like a Jeep and was marketed to women?
At least the Wagoneer still had legitimate off road ability and options such as PTO and electric winches, snow plows etc.

New Jeeps are junk econo boxes with no legitimate off road or work ability. The the sole exception being the Wrangler.
1971 J2500 Gladiator Custom-Cab Platform Stake on 126" wb. B350/T18A/D20 D60/D60-3 w/locker 4.10's Ramsey 8klb PTO winch, Day-brook dump. 225/95R16's
1969 J3800 Gladiator 3407Z Camper Truck. B350/T18A/D20 D44/D60-3 w/4.10's
1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400 Mostly Stock
1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0L/AW4 4" lift OEM swing out tire carrier and brushguard

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Kaiserman wrote:
New Jeeps are junk econo boxes with no legitimate off road or work ability. The the sole exception being the Wrangler.
Last weekend I lead this convoy with my 2014 Cherokee TH across 1100miles, 300 of which was double track, washboard or mining roads. We went to the White River National Forest, Fantasy Canyon, Dinosaur National Monument, Green Mountain (Wyoming, north of Rawlins), all the way into the hinterlands in the path of totality for the eclipse. Remember, pics never do the trail justice.

You don't have to like new Jeeps, but mine did everything a stock 1979 Cherokee Chief Widetrack could do, and it got 32mpg doing it. I felt bad for all those straight axles across the washboard too. I had to stop every so often to let them catch up, and I felt like I was going slow!

I had to edit because my numbers were WAY off! Here's a map!
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.7255 ... ce!1m0!3e0

Double edit, for the map, switch to satellite and zoom in, it was freekin AWESOME! :-bd
Last edited by REDONE on Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:
Kaiserman wrote:
Last weekend I lead this convoy with my 2014 Cherokee TH across 500 miles, 100 of which was WY double track and another 40 was WY washboard. We went to the White River National Forest, Fantasy Canyon, Dinosaur National Monument, Green Mountain (Wyoming, north of Rawlins), all the way into the hinterlands in the path of totality for the eclipse. Remember, pics never do the trail justice.

You don't have to like new Jeeps, but mine did everything a stock 1979 Cherokee Chief Widetrack could do, and it got 32mpg doing it. I felt bad for all those straight axles across the washboard too. I had to stop every so often to let them catch up, and I felt like I was going slow!
Not bashing your rig at all. I am very curious to see how these newer jeeps hold up loooong term. Will they still be functional and have value in 20-30 years? For me it's more the fact that much of them, while generally well engineered, are made of plastics and lighter/ fairly automobile duty parts. Plastic tends to break down over time and become brittle. Light duty components may last, may not. May simply require more maintenance as they do start to wear out... I honestly can't say. I'm curious to find out. I wonder if in 50 years there will be a website for those who are collecting and restoring their 1st gen renegade or compass...?

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

In 50 years, I don't think car enthusiasts will be a thing. I think they'll be regarded as the racists of the time for their willful destruction of the environment and covetous gluttony. That's assuming there's still a society to be a part of and we haven't nuked ourselves yet. :P
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:In 50 years, I don't think car enthusiasts will be a thing. I think they'll be regarded as the racists of the time for their willful destruction of the environment and covetous gluttony. That's assuming there's still a society to be a part of and we haven't nuked ourselves yet. :P
Now that's just depressing... Image probably not untrue but still a sad thought.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Now that's just depressing... Image probably not untrue but still a sad thought.

Are you kidding? I love to drive...when there's no traffic. In 50 years there will be over 12 billion people, at least. That's a LOT of stupid traffic if people are still driving cars.
Just think though, you won't go on a cruise to the Caribbean, you'll go on a cruise to F***ING JUPITER. Or we'll all be dead. One or the other. :lol:
Grizzly Locker Rear

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote: Now that's just depressing... Image probably not untrue but still a sad thought.

Are you kidding? I love to drive...when there's no traffic. In 50 years there will be over 12 billion people, at least. That's a LOT of stupid traffic if people are still driving cars.
Just think though, you won't go on a cruise to the Caribbean, you'll go on a cruise to F***ING JUPITER. Or we'll all be dead. One or the other. :lol:
Not if a nuke event happens, global pandemic, or zombie apocalypse....

ImageImageImage

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuka wrote:
Nah, I was referring to the new 2014-2017 jelly bean shaped wanna-be-Kia looking 'cars'.
I remember back when the XJ Renaults came out there was a mixed reaction. It did look like an SJ, wheeled well and had a good price.
When I look at the latest incarnation of the Cherokee I see Jeep has tried to make them look like Yet Another Porsche Cayenne Imitation that I would never buy no matter what.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Bah Humbug. Hopefully I can still be a country bumpkin in 50 years driving around the woods in my environment destroying death trap.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

A song about the future where automobiles are outlawed. :)