Bulldozer talk how well (or not) do they perform on icy steep roads?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Bulldozer talk how well (or not) do they perform on icy steep roads?

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I live at 8500 feet near the top of Storm Mountain where we get a lot of snow. I am also in the process of building a log cabin and need to be able to move full length pine trees.

I am thinking of buying this dozer mostly for the purpose of plowing my fairly steep driveway and doing some excavation on my property. Kind of a cool toy.

So my main question is: how well (or not) does a dozer fair on steep icy roads? I know there are all kinds of traction aiding devices that you weld or bolt onto the tracks.

Here is the dozer that I am looking to buy:

Here is the tractor/forklift/homemade thing that I already have:

and here is the upper part of my driveway. The rest of my property is on a slope and I have three roads that go across it:

Lumpskie

Re: Bulldozer talk how well (or not) do they perform on icy steep roads?

Post by Lumpskie »

I don't have anything useful to say. But, you have the coolest problems.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

Lumpskie wrote:I don't have anything useful to say. But, you have the coolest problems.
LOL

ya good times :fsj:

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I can't answer you specifically as my experience with tracks is from an MBT (Main Battle Tank- M1A1 Abrams) but I can tell you a lot depends on the surface under the ice as well as weight of the vehicle. Tracks can offer excellent traction on many surfaces but they are not "unstoppable". The one your looking at seems to have "smooth" track, as in not very aggressive to keep from tearing up the ground too much. On a very hard surface with a crust of ice on top it may be nearly useless. I've had tanks hit ice on pavement and it's not a fun experience. 68 tons of runaway tank that can't stop or steer is a butt clencher.
I'd see if there are any forums which have info directly related to that type/model dozer and see what those folks say. If there are "bolt on" traction adders then it may be great. But only if they work.
I can also say that tracked vehicles are maintenance intensive. Keeping track tension is viral. Inspecting the track for missing or loose nuts/bolts is a constant effort not to be ignored. And any bolt on traction adders will be susceptible to coming off. They aren't free so you have to pay attention to making sure they stay tight.
That doesn't look to be a big dozer so if you have any plans to do any excavation you'll want to do it while the ground isn't frozen. It also appears to have a finish bucket on it. Those are ok for soft and shallow digging but you'll want a toothed blade for real holes or frozen ground.

Just for fun:

https://youtu.be/au-RkJdwXsA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

thanks for the information!

you should be able to see my driveway in that pic. this particular driveway is about 3 times longer than this pic indicates and has a curve in it. it's all rock/dirt underneath and we get a pretty good amount of sun on it. we use it quite a bit with the trucks, so it definitely gets some ice, but it's typically not solid ice. only patches of ice...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I would prefer a 4wd tractor with diamond pattern chains over a cat with tracks when it comes to ice. A heavy cat with aggressive tracks can dig in and pull well (The tractor you listed does not have aggressive treads), but they will tear the road up. And, they have NO lateral grip (by design since the skid steer).

When I lived above the snow line and had a semi long drive way (short compared to yours) I used a Kubota L3400 with chains front and rear, front bucket, and a plow mounted on the back. So yes I would plow in reverse, but I wanted the bucket to lift snow up into piles.

Although for your job, you made need something that is larger than an L3400. A large tree is going to require something bigger like a Case 590 or something.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

It also depends on cost. If that thing has been well maintained and is cheap enough it may be ok. Otherwise, maintenance could be pricy and money would be better put into a 4x4 diesel tractor with a blade or snowblower.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I ran a similar track hoe in Montana in the winter when I was logging. They do well unless the surface is hard-frozen more an an inch or so, then they begin to get a bit squirrelly. More than an inch and they start sliding sideways on off camber areas and after 3-4 inches lose forward traction. As long as the cleats can punch through the ice/frozen soil you're good.
If you plan things out and get the majority of your work done during warmer weather I think this little guy would work out well for you.
Should you find yourself in a hard-frozen road situation and your road slants slightly toward the mountain, you can still get around well by allowing the rig to slide into your ditch and high bank where the soil won't be frozen. Non-compacted soil doesn't freeze very deep unless the temps have been well below zero for weeks or months.

Are those Aspens I see?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Storm Mountain...
Reminds me of a 70s song by Jay Fergesun: "Thunder Island".
You should change the lyrics to fit your new place :)

68glad

Post by 68glad »

I think i'd opt for a skidder with a winch and chains on all four.
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

68glad wrote:I think i'd opt for a skidder with a winch and chains on all four.
I would too if skidders lent themselves to blades or buckets.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Now a Case 640K with a back blade and chains would be very useful.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:
68glad wrote:I think i'd opt for a skidder with a winch and chains on all four.
I would too if skidders lent themselves to blades or buckets.
Most of the skidders around here have blades up front. But buckets they do not have. So piling snow would be tough. But with good chains those things handle snow well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

bigun

Post by bigun »

I'm only here for the pictures LOL

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well I dont know much of anything about heavy equipment.. but when watching gold rush.. Ive seen parker and others slide with those big ass 50 ton excavators on solid ice almost down cliffs.. So i dont think a dozer is good on ice, at least with stock tracks.. Like you said you could probly easily wed spikes or something to the tracks and itd probably work just fine then. I say go for it !

But i dont know jack lol
Last edited by candymancan on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Tracks will work, until it gets really cold, then they slide. My suggestion: Kubota with rear mounted blower and front blade. http://www.kubota.com/product/LSeries/L60.aspx
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

tedlovesjeeps71

When my buddy lived on Conifer mountain one of his neighbor's had a big John deer. Enclosed cab, massive snow blower attachment. I don't think he ever had issues with it but I bet it cost as much as a moderate house!

68glad

Post by 68glad »

bigun wrote:I'm only here for the pictures LOL

https://goo.gl/images/Ce3Hq7
68 Gladiator- RIP
78 Wagoneer- 401, D60/70, 203/205, 38's, Dual PS pump, Hydroboost, OBA, OBW, bla bla bla.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

cone

Post by cone »

I live in northern Pennsylvania with a very steep driveway about 1/2 mile long. I have have a small dozer and a 4WD New Holland tractor. The dozer is good in the deep wind driven snow on the level areas but horrible on the steep driveway. No real traction when it's icy and if you get it sideways on the driveway you had best hang on because there is no stopping it from sliding. The best option is a 4WD wheeled tractor with reinforced tire chains.

Topic author
AwesomeJ10

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

nice information guys.

Tats - yes those are Apsens. About half my property (especially the half where we are building a cabin) has a lot of Aspens. The other half, where the shop is, is nearly 100% pine.

Back to the dozer. I've been texting the owner who lives at the bottom of the mountain. He said it works pretty good in snow/ice, but works it on it farm where its mostly flat.

I know there is no such thing as a 'perfect machine' and I think I will end up with a 4x4 tractor (with chains) as well. This dozer is definitely priced right at 6k. I'm planning to look at it this afternoon...