New car

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Shagoneer

New car

Post by Shagoneer »

So I sadly just had to make the decision to give up my beloved Mustang, and it became more and more apparent everyday that I needed a more family friendly car (getting the car seat out of the back of a sports car sucks). So I sold the mustang and I am currently looking for a new vehicle.

I'm hoping to find an SUV or truck that is decent off-road, and can comfortably fit my family of 3 that will grow to a family of 4 in a few years. I'm looking at used SUVs right now and have found a few I like but wanna see if anyone has any suggestions.

So the parameters are made after 2000, 4x4, seats at least 5 (though I wouldn't complain about a 7 seater), and is $20k or less.

I'm currently looking at an 05 Rover LR3 for 8 grand, and an 05 Range Rover for 11.

Anyone have any advise or suggestions?
In the market for a new FSJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: New car

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I'd stay away from rovers. They have a reputation for issues with their air suspension. Unreliable and very expensive to fix.
My best friend finally gave up on his lifted F250 as it was neither cost effective nor especially family friendly.
He went with a used 2016 f150 with the coyote motor and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I like land rovers, but you'd have to pay me to own one. First, they depreciate so horribly for a reason. Second, cost of ownership remains as high as initial cost when new, despite the aforementioned depreciation. Driving a Land Rover isn't a status symbol because they're expensive to buy, but because they are expensive to own.

I'd keep it Jeep. Even the"bad" ones have enough following to demand aftermarket support, and for any given model year they tend to out last any competing model from another manufacturer.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tedlovesjeeps71

Have Commanders come down in price at all?

tedlovesjeeps71

Then there's this? Image

The Bollinger Motors B-1 is an old-school truck with a high-tech twist
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/07/28/ ... twist.html

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I saw that today! I'm glad someone is moving that direction, but I'm sceptical that it will 1) get certified, and 2) generate enough interest. But at least there one out there, showing that it can be done!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

You can get a JK for that much... But I'd be looking at toyota's.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

After seeing the dozens of abandoned Land Rovers at my loacl pick-and-pull during cash-for-clunkers, I too would be wary of the marque.

Other than the Toyotas (which typically go for premium prices), the Nissan XTerra is another family-sized SUV that's quite trail capable.

Around here, you could have your choice of dozens of Grand Cherokees that had never been off the pavement. People here buy SUVs to commute year-round, thinking a 4x4 will be safer/more secure during heavy weather. If you don't need a "real" 4x4 (sp. low range), there are plenty of SUV/crossover cars like the Honda Pilot or the Subarus that would work.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I may also say screw buying another car and join the navy so I don't need a car, and don't have to pay rent, and get free healthcare, don't have a car payment, get food allowance, and I'd have more job security than I do right now cooking pizzas.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Subaru

Reliable
Safety
Economical
4x4/AWD
4door
Cannot get stuck in snow
Low but spendy maintenance

Can deliver pizza for a change and extra $ tips for diapers
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ShagWagon wrote:Subaru

Reliable
Safety
Economical
4x4/AWD
4door
Cannot get stuck in snow
Low but spendy maintenance

Can deliver pizza for a change and extra $ tips for diapers
Subaru and reliable in the same sentence? hah. Everybody I know with one (and we have TONS of them here) has had major engine issues with it. Typically blown head gaskets which they are infamous for.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Don't forget timing chain too.

It's considered regular maintenance on a 4cyl pre 04 to replace both at 135k then is good for at least another.

Buy one with low miles and save/prepare for it ($2500.00)or buy one at 150k or so that's already had it done by a reputable shop with reputable parts.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tedlovesjeeps71

REDONE wrote:I saw that today! I'm glad someone is moving that direction, but I'm sceptical that it will 1) get certified, and 2) generate enough interest. But at least there one out there, showing that it can be done!
I figured you'd be diggin' on that. Image
While I love the Spartan nature of it, reminds me of simpler times, I just don't see any way the thing could get certified. There are mountains of regulations for safety standards that that thing doesn't appear (thankfully) to possess. Airbags? Crumple zones? Side impact? Rollover??
I do hope they make it though. Even if the price point makes me quezy. Image

tedlovesjeeps71

Shagoneer wrote:I may also say screw buying another car and join the navy so I don't need a car, and don't have to pay rent, and get free healthcare, don't have a car payment, get food allowance, and I'd have more job security than I do right now cooking pizzas.
How old are you?
Just asking because it so easy for me to imagine many of us with old jeeps are old people (like me).
If you're interested in serving than I say go for it. Just don't kid yourself thinking it's a fix all for life. Lots of pros to joining the military but you have to be able to put up with a lot of BS too. It really isn't for everyone. On the bright side, if you look at your time the right way, you'll do a lot that the average person never even thinks of.

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I'm 24.
I know it's not an answer for everything, but if I do sign up I'm going to volunteer for EOD so I only have to worry about my life plans for a few months JK JK.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Shag... I say go for it. You only live once and this would be one adventure you will cherish for life. EOD is cool go buds :-bd
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

I've been considering it for awhile now, and I found out today that my Great Uncle was Navy EOD and it makes me want to do it even more.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I agree with everyone else on rovers. Stay away from them. My wife has an 08 and I've easily spent more on it the last two years than I am willing to admit. I will never own another one. You can always make the car payment but the monthly maintenance will kill you. I say find a Jeep or other SUV that fits your needs. Good luck finding what your family needs.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

tedlovesjeeps71

Shagoneer wrote:I'm 24.
I know it's not an answer for everything, but if I do sign up I'm going to volunteer for EOD so I only have to worry about my life plans for a few months JK JK.
Well, if youre gonna do it, do it soon. I can't speak for the Navy but the military is not a bad gig. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything including a functional body and peaceful dreams.
Not sure what to tell you about EOD... Most of those guys I've met were a few stairs short of a whole flight.Image