I have no idea what to do

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
bigun

I have no idea what to do

Post by bigun »

Okay as some know I am an electrical contractor, but I haven't used my license in 10 years. In 2006 the price of material started sky rocketing, my price quotes were only good for the day given. This to say the least makes it very hard to bid on a job 6 weeks to 6 months out, so at the urging of a friend I went to work in the Union had a great 4 years, since then I have been at home with my aging mother, we live 75 miles from Alb. so going to work on a daily bases would be expensive and time consuming, I know I have done it. Optimal would be to get a place in town then come home on the weekends, I have done this also when she was younger and other members of the family lived closer, but now everybody has moved away and are living their own lives. She turns 90 in October and gets around well, she still has her driver's license, so she could get into town, and back, but somebody would have to drive her to Alb. for Doctor appointments, and she would be out here on by herself all the time, not that I am an optimal companion, I at least am here. Sometimes I think my health is worse than hers, both knees do the snap crackle pop when I stand up if I had to climb a ladder or stand for any length of time it would be painful to say the least, I'm being treated for high blood pressure, excessive red blood cells, and possible diabetes.

So here is the deal there is someone looking for a qualifying party for their electrical company but to do this would mean I would have to loose my current company and if for some reason this venture fails I would have to go through the process all over again. My real problem is I have no idea how to go about in negotiations to keep myself and reputation from getting hurt, or how much to charge for such use, anybody have any profound intelligence to share, any non profound, good jokes, bad jokes? :-?

So why am I asking a bunch of imaginary people on line you ask, because of the diversity of knowledge, and it was either here or Pirate and I don't have tit picture to share to get and answer , so don't ask! :x

REDONE

Re: I have no idea what to do

Post by REDONE »

I don't remember if we met in real life in Ouray, but I assure you I'm not an imaginary person ;)

From the snap shot of your current circumstances you provided it looks like relocation is the most viable option. Point blank you have to be where your skills have value in order to earn what you are worth. I know there's logistics beyond the scope of your post, and there's always attachments that are hard to quantify but if the well is dry you have to find water.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

To me, sounds like you and your mom need to move to Albeqhoweverthehellyouspellit. 75 miles one way for doctors appointments and work is a major PITA.

As for you, you probably get lectured every time you see a doctor about your blood pressure. Same here, though I am not pre-diabetic, yet. As for your knees, I too have the same issue (osteoarthritis in both knees and bone spurs in my right). The best thing for them is using a bicycle, either real one of a stationary, followed by a soak in a hot tub. Out here in BF eastern Colorado, I don't have access to a hot tub, but I bike about 30 miles a week and it does wonders for my knees.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

It's spelled Albuquerque to graduate out of high school you have to be able to spell it LOL :D

Okay going to put a nail in the move back to Albuquerque. she won't do it and the land and house are paid for and all you have to do is watch the news to realize that ALb. has become a real cesspool.
Most of her Doctoring is handled locally the one thing she has to go to Alb for is her eye doctor for her macular degeneration and that is only in one eye. Up until a month ago we did have to go in for groceries, but now the store has reopened so we will probably only be going in once every couple of months to load up on canned goods and such that we can buy in bulk. If it was just me I would be out Road Whoring still, but she won't leave and someone has to be here.
She has a reclining bike but by the time I get it adjusted I'm already tired not to mention picking myself up off the floor is exercise in itself!
I keep trying to explain to the medical folks I am not a teenager, you can't expect me to have teenage blood pressure. Besides unless you check it everyday how do you know what it truly is I know because when I was a body builder I used to check everyday and it would fluctuate, check it several times a day and you find a great deal of variation just hourly.

Redone the last time I was in Ouray 2008 I think, it's all so blurry LOL so not sure if we met or not.

Again My real question is has anybody used their license for another company, what kind of compensation should you get, should you have to do field work along with the use of your license, if so how much, Liablities, any contract lawyers willing to give advise probono?

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

I am not an electrician, but am a licensed architect. Putting your seal on anything puts all the responsibility, personal and professional, on the licensee. It can go sideways quick. I wouldn't do it without either a written agreement or a long-standing relationship built on trust already in place. The agreement should include liability protection and compensation.

In architecture, I'm not supposed to seal anything i did not have direct supervision over. What does the statute say regarding your license? Likely you dont need to do field work, but you might need to have some familiarity with what is going on.
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Dang Charlie. I personally think you still live too close to Albuquerque but do hope you figure something out and don't have to be far from Mom in the process. Say hi to her for me please. I plan to retire the first week in January for what that is worth. Have had just about enough of this gig.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

fulsizjeep wrote:Dang Charlie. I personally think you still live too close to Albuquerque but do hope you figure something out and don't have to be far from Mom in the process. Say hi to her for me please. I plan to retire the first week in January for what that is worth. Have had just about enough of this gig.
I can dig it, it is increasingly hard to find work as you get older, there have been two jobs I am almost sure that I was laid off from early because of age. The one down in Tucson was an easy one to see, because all the guys laid off were either in their 50s or young kids just starting out.

So has Krista laid you out a bunch of work after you retire?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I started noticing it in programming circles at 45 man. Came out West...

Krista? I just have to go out the back door. :D

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

fulsizjeep wrote:Krista? I just have to go out the back door. :D

There is a joke there but it would get me banned and piss off the Jeepstress and I don't want to do that again because Crom hasn't been together ever since! :shock:

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Where are you in NM? I'm in Socorro for now until I finish my degree. I always use the abbreviation ABQ.

You can normally get a pretty good job at Stallion as a contractor.
In the market for a new FSJ

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

Shagoneer wrote:Where are you in NM? I'm in Socorro for now until I finish my degree. I always use the abbreviation ABQ.

You can normally get a pretty good job at Stallion as a contractor.
Raised in Alb. living in Mountainair. Stallion?

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

It's a small offshoot of white sands a bit outside of Socorro. The base in Albuquerque also has some good jobs pretty often.
In the market for a new FSJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

bigun wrote:

There is a joke there but it would get me banned and piss off the Jeepstress and I don't want to do that again because Crom hasn't been together ever since! :shock:
Never under estimate the power of the Jeepstress. :lol:
Flint Boardman

Topic author
bigun

Post by bigun »

fulsizjeep wrote:
bigun wrote:

Never under estimate the power of the Jeepstress. :lol:
Her Voodoo powers are unlimited! :banghead:

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Whatever you do, if it concerns the Jeepstress make sure you use a doily!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!