Photobucket.com Problems

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
DustinLangston

Photobucket.com Problems

Post by DustinLangston »

Is anyone else having issues with photobucket.com? It's disabled all of my photos on here and is holding them "hostage" for $400 to allow them on third party hosting sites. This is BS. Anyone have a workaround?
1982 Wagoneer Limited 5.3L Vortec 4L60E swap - finished/restored - sold - bought back - sold again
1979 Wagoneer 360 TH400 1339 QT - built into perfect daily driver - sold
1981 J10 Sportside Honcho - finished/restored - sold
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - 5.3L Vortec 6L80E swap - finished/restored - sold
1967 Super Wagoneer - sold, too much work
1978 J10 Golden Eagle - finished/restored - sold
1962 Rambler Classic Cross Country Wagon - current project, wife's daily driver - she'll never let me sell it

Tatsadasayago

Re: Photobucket.com Problems

Post by Tatsadasayago »

1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

So far my 25$ish plan is still working but I'm not paying $400 at renewal. I guess I and every other subscriber should be letting them know that.

What's needed is some utility that will go through the thread and change all the links to the new host's address. Is there such a thing?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

will e

Post by will e »

SJTD wrote:So far my 25$ish plan is still working but I'm not paying $400 at renewal. I guess I and every other subscriber should be letting them know that.

What's needed is some utility that will go through the thread and change all the links to the new host's address. Is there such a thing?
That's a tall order. First, you would have to make a file mapping. For example here is a photobucket link

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... 1b6b54.jpg

It's in a specific album and has a randomly assigned name by Photobucket. So you would have to copy it over with the exact same name and then put them all in the same place (no subfolders to organize) for it to have a chance to work. This assume the new site allows you to specify the underlying name. Which it probably doesn't.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

FWIW, I'm being held hostage by Photobucket as well. Over on Tacomaworld there is a discussion about this and the consensus is that most people are switching over to Flikr or Imgur. I don't know what I want to do. I have 5 builds and over 2000 photos on Photobucket and I don't have the energy or time to switch everything over and relink my old stuff. It's a shame because the forums all over are going to loose a lot of good information because of this...
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

derf

Post by derf »

DustinLangston wrote:Is anyone else having issues with photobucket.com? It's disabled all of my photos on here and is holding them "hostage" for $400 to allow them on third party hosting sites. This is BS. Anyone have a workaround?
Their move does seem strange in the modern world of basically free image hosting in so many places.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I guess the message is not getting through. Tapatalk app and take pics with your phone and post them directly. No image hosting.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

I don't have a smartphone. Started using postimage.org about a week ago. Seems ok so far but, I use adblocker so not sure how bad they are for pop-ups and such.

I, too, find it very distressing that so much information is going to be lost because of this. Not too worried about my threads but all the other ones I may need, in the future.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

PB has really gone downhill these last few years. So many damn ads my phone or PC will lock up. Some of my albums have a thousand photos so PB made it so all photos are in the same page, takes forever to load. So annoying!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

will e

Post by will e »

The photos are still there and if you right click on them you can see them by clicking on "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab" or my personal favorite "Show photo" but it's not always an option.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:The photos are still there and if you right click on them you can see them by clicking on "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab" or my personal favorite "Show photo" but it's not always an option.
Not to rub salt in a wound, but it's funny that your avatar is the "Photobucket sucks and doesn't work" image, because all your other pics are the same thing. :lol:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Honestly, the cheapest way to have control over your own shared images is to just get some webspace, and a free image sharing site to run on it. And then just host all your own stuff on your own server. It will cost you about 75 bucks a year, but you never need to worry about some other company wanting to blackmail you after you have thousands of images hosted up there.

The big issue you will have is moving away from photobucket or the like is all your shared images have direct links to photobucket.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Just found this on postimage:

http://postimages.org/plugins

Seems pretty cool, and would make posting pics a simple, one-step, process.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

i have over 2600 images on photobucket, been using it for, eek, 11 years, and all my build threads across the internet will fail if this pull this crap.

somehow, imy images still show everywhere though.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Yeah I am one of the countless victims of this BS too. They are local to me. Maybe I should go tell em in person lol. Probably they are about to go under. They would have to be desperate (or really stupid,or both) to make this play, right?

It isn't overly worth it to me to hunt down myriad old forum posts but I have lots of blog posts that this probably goofed up :(

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

shimniok wrote:... Probably they are about to go under. ...
My thought too. There are broken PhotoBucket pictures all over the Jeep forums.

You might put something in your sig about how to tell you about broken picture links, rather than try and restore all your old posts.

Let me also take this opportunity to suggest that when you see something on the net that is useful, save it yourself. Anything on the 'net is in danger of disappearing at any time. You can get some things back using the Wayback, but those archives don't replace hot links in the original posts with whatever the link is pointing to.

I use both Microsoft OneNote (cut and paste) and a scrapbook application (save the entire link to a specified depth) to save web pages that are of interest.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.