axle tube seals and HD ball joints for D44's

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

axle tube seals and HD ball joints for D44's

Post by jpswapmohn »

If anyone has knowledge of front axle tube seal/dust cover and HD ball joints for waggy D44, please share.

Called TEN Factory to check on theirs. These will NOT work on our older axles. I guess there is a difference in the YJ and newer axles that allows them to fit.

https://www.tenfactory.com/axle-product ... d-mg21102/

Since I have to pull my front axle apart after damage at ECI, I thought these might be a nice addition to keep crud out of the tubes. Would also hold the inner shaft up a little when you granade your u-joint and need to get off the trail. My inner axle chewed up my lower ball joints as well as beat up the ears on the outers while trying to get off the trail.

Senergy HD balljoints (metal instead of plastic cup) also will not fit our D44 axles..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: axle tube seals and HD ball joints for D44's

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

jpswapmohn wrote:If anyone has knowledge of front axle tube seal/dust cover and HD ball joints for waggy D44, please share.

Called TEN Factory to check on theirs. These will NOT work on our older axles. I guess there is a difference in the YJ and newer axles that allows them to fit.

https://www.tenfactory.com/axle-product ... d-mg21102/

Since I have to pull my front axle apart after damage at ECI, I thought these might be a nice addition to keep crud out of the tubes. Would also hold the inner shaft up a little when you granade your u-joint and need to get off the trail. My inner axle chewed up my lower ball joints as well as beat up the ears on the outers while trying to get off the trail.

Senergy HD balljoints (metal instead of plastic cup) also will not fit our D44 axles..
Maybe pull some measurements on your axles and contact one of these guys to see if they make some that fit?
ImageImage (red are alloy USA brand)

And I hear dynatrac is making ball joints. Pricy but supposed to be quality.

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Thanks

Terra is specific to the JK and Alloy are the same as TEN Factory. They work for the 84 and newer D30's and Rubicon TJ and up D44. Maybe spacing between the C's and hubs are different?
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Ah, sorry. Just trying to help. Image
Maybe splurging on RCV shafts would work??

http://www.rcvperformance.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Moog makes balljoints that will fit our axles. But I am not sure if they offer greasable ones.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

As for the beating your inners took, lock-outs are cheap, especially if you grab them from an 87< Chevy in the junk yard.

As for sealing the end of the axle tubes, think of it this way, it would encourage corrosion as much as anything else. It might keep dust and mud out, but any moisture that got in (or was there in the beginning) would just bivouac in there, turning the shafts and tubes into gnarly rusty turds WAY worse than the stable surface rust under the mud and dust if the tubes are left open.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

derf

Post by derf »

Stuka wrote:Moog makes balljoints that will fit our axles. But I am not sure if they offer greasable ones.
Moog ball joints are greasable. I just installed a set a couple of months ago and they had the grease zerks.

Post by 243 »

I just installed Moog on my D44 recently and they do have zerks, but beware, the swaging on the locknuts is far too deep in my opinion and they are a bitch to tighten and if you need to back them off, the threads of the balljoint will probably be ruined.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

REDONE wrote:As for the beating your inners took, lock-outs are cheap, especially if you grab them from an 87< Chevy in the junk yard.

As for sealing the end of the axle tubes, think of it this way, it would encourage corrosion as much as anything else. It might keep dust and mud out, but any moisture that got in (or was there in the beginning) would just bivouac in there, turning the shafts and tubes into gnarly rusty turds WAY worse than the stable surface rust under the mud and dust if the tubes are left open.
By lockouts, are you referring to locking hubs? Got those.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)