Cal, US forest rd closure and damage report

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
letank

Cal, US forest rd closure and damage report

Post by letank »

Wheeling and wishing to avoid surprises after the unusual winter, you can check rd conditions here

https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/StormDamage2017/

of course, never forget to call your local forest station about road conditions

Recent trip on the crest line has shown some amazing snow levels
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Cal, US forest rd closure and damage report

Post by Stuka »

I was up camping over the weekend. SOOO many things closed. Quite a few camp sites still closed. Either because of damage or trees that needs to be cut down (There is an epidemic of dead fir trees at higher altitudes). Some places wont be open until next year, which sucks.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

Stuka wrote:I was up camping over the weekend. SOOO many things closed. Quite a few camp sites still closed. Either because of damage or trees that needs to be cut down (There is an epidemic of dead fir trees at higher altitudes). Some places wont be open until next year, which sucks.
It is bad, between the busted culverts, the down trees and the snow or the snowdrifts, you are right a lot of spots will not be accessible until later.

I have been trying to access some of the reservoirs, and it is a challenge, at least it is warm
Michel

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Don't worry. They will spend all their borrowed budget on fixing the dam. Trails etc will have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Well, they could have dropped all the cash 4 clunkers cars in the dam breach.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

ShagWagon wrote:Well, they could have dropped all the cash 4 clunkers cars in the dam breach.
HAHA!!!! Love it.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

You can also check the specific forest Web site for additional closures. Stanislaus NF has issued closures for trails , lakes and roads in hat are in effect until Dec. 18, 2018 with means June 2019 after seasonal closure starts Dec. 18, 2018. This is a total closure stating you can not be on the food, resivor or trail. That includes walking for hunting, photos etc.

When you call to check on a road or trail have the road number and any roads that lead to your road in question. Few of the staff know names of road. Also call for the specific ranger district your area of question is in. There can be a big difference in conditions between districts in the same forest.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Don't worry. They will spend all their borrowed budget on fixing the dam. Trails etc will have to wait.

How are these even related? The department of forestry has nothing to do with ANY dams.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Don't worry. They will spend all their borrowed budget on fixing the dam. Trails etc will have to wait.

How are these even related? The department of forestry has nothing to do with ANY dams.
No, but California operates in the red, for years. If it weren't for federal monies they would have more than issues with a dam and some trail access. Unfortunately they often choose to spend that money on other programs and agendas.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Stuka wrote:

No, but California operates in the red, for years. If it weren't for federal monies they would have more than issues with a dam and some trail access. Unfortunately they often choose to spend that money on other programs and agendas.

None of these trails are funded by state money. Its ALL federal, as they are in national forest land.
2017 JKU Rubicon

tedlovesjeeps71

Stuka wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
Stuka wrote:

None of these trails are funded by state money. Its ALL federal, as they are in national forest land.
Ok

Topic author
letank

Post by letank »

back to topic, some of the roads deemed open, where in fact cut off by a 10 foot open trench due to culver obliteration. The water flow was so fast that even a walk thru was not possible, too many mangled trees

Or too much snow

or bridge gone south

Michel

tedlovesjeeps71

General Lee doesn't need a bridge... ImageImage

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I am under the impression all money from the feds or state is borrowed, both have been in the red for many moons, just keep paying your tax's they feel it's their money not yours