engine - transmission - transfer case removal

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Granite GW

engine - transmission - transfer case removal

Post by Granite GW »

1991 GW, automatic, V-8 moving forward with a major restoration.
vehicle is on jack stands, concrete floor.
Can I please get some recommendations on how best to remove the transmission and transfer case.
Is it best to remove these together as one unit or is it best to remove transfer case and then remove transmission.
Thank you for your insight and experience!

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: engine - transmission - transfer case removal

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Some folks like to pull them all together. Some separate the trans from the motor.If you remove the entire front clip & hood it helps either way. You have to have a stout engine hoist to pull the entire thing and it's a bear to move around unless you build a strong rolling cradle with quality caster wheels.
I usually separate them and pull the motor first.
Don't forget to remove the torque converter bolts from the flex plate before you pull stuff out. Getting to them on the ground sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

az chip

Re: engine - transmission - transfer case removal

Post by az chip »

If on jack stands only and concrete I suggest pulling transfer case out first then transmission. Check for clearance under frame for trans and tc.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.