Predator carbs

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
prospector

Predator carbs

Post by prospector »

Saw a guy selling a Predator carb for $150 on CL, and it got me curious about them: are they still in business? Anyone here know anything about them? Experiences? Etc.? I'm not buying, just curious.

Tatsadasayago

Re: Predator carbs

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I believe Predator went out of business in the 90s.
I ran one on my big block Dodge 440 and found it to be a superb carb for street and especially good wheeling. One cool feature is the carb cannot send more fuel than the engine can handle due to the throttle plates being connected to the fuel flow valve. It's a purely On-Demand fuel delivery system.
Mine had the idle circuit but most didn't and I appreciated being able to adjust the idle mixture.
Another benefit is the design of the float bowl which allows the engine to run while the vehicle is pure vertical or on it's side without flooding or starving.
I'd be all over that carb for the price if it wasn't worn out or broken.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

I just went back to CL and it's gone, interesting though, all I remember hearing about them was that they were gas hogs. Why'd you get rid of yours Tatsadasayago?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I sold my Truck when my daughter was born. Diapers trump toys...
Imagine a 6" lifted, 44 Swamper 440/Auto short bed 4x4 W100 flatbed with a Wieand single carb tunnel ram and a Predator. Not the family friendly minivan...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I sold my Truck when my daughter was born. Diapers trump toys...
Imagine a 6" lifted, 44 Swamper 440/Auto short bed 4x4 W100 flatbed with a Wieand single carb tunnel ram and a Predator. Not the family friendly minivan...
I had to sell a favorite car once, never got it back. "65 Coronet, I knew if I sold it she was gone forever, that was thirty years ago, I never saw her again.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I rode around in a friends '66 Coronet 440 in high school in the mid '80's. That was a neat car. Big and fast.....
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

ghcoe wrote:I rode around in a friends '66 Coronet 440 in high school in the mid '80's. That was a neat car. Big and fast.....
Mine was a two door post car, factory 4 speed big block, only the wealthy can afford them now.