Car TV Shows.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

FSJunkie

Re: Car TV Shows.

Post by FSJunkie »

Car TV shows rot your brain. I can't stand most of them. Especially Gas Monkey and Roadkill. The only ones I watch with any seriousness are Phantomworks and sometimes Graveyard Carz.

I miss the old Discovery Channel, but I miss the old History Channel even more. Duck Dynasty isn't history. Modern Marvels, WWII in Color, and Wild West Tech were history.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

FSJunkie wrote:Car TV shows rot your brain. I can't stand most of them. Especially Gas Monkey and Roadkill. The only ones I watch with any seriousness are Phantomworks and sometimes Graveyard Carz.

I miss the old Discovery Channel, but I miss the old History Channel even more. Duck Dynasty isn't history. Modern Marvels, WWII in Color, and Wild West Tech were history.
Not to nit pick, but Duck Dynasty was A&E ;)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

motcat

Post by motcat »

FSJunkie wrote:Car TV shows rot your brain.
LOL. I watch a lot of the various car shows. It's FN reality TV and I have a clicker to change channels or turn the TV off. I just happen to dig the process and the result. Maybe because I use to restore motorcycles for a living to show and concourse quality. I don't care who or what Richard Rawlings is or that he's marketing himself as a brand. Look at the millions of dollars the Kardashians make off marketing themselves. What the hell have they ever done of value?
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I can agree that Richard Rawlings "Has quickly established himself as the Antichrist Kim Kardashian of the hotrod world". :evil:
Kanye West remains the Kanye West of all worlds. :P

I would disagree that being a car-centric Kim Kardashian makes it ok, either way you're making a fake phoney rich and famous.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

motcat

Post by motcat »

REDONE wrote:I can agree that Richard Rawlings "Has quickly established himself as the Antichrist Kim Kardashian of the hotrod world". :evil:
LOL. I laughed out loud on that one! Wife looked at me in a funny way because it was very quiet in the house.
I would disagree that being a car-centric Kim Kardashian makes it ok, either way you're making a fake phoney rich and famous.
I didn't say it was OK. I said I didn't care. I wasn't offering the Kardashian clan as a supporting argument for RR. Just pointing out RR is not unique in his scam. I can't stand RR. I think I hate everything about him especially those noises he makes and running his hand through his hair. Turns my stomach. I watched the show specifically to see what Aaron Kauffman was going to build and to see if his beard got in the way. I'm hoping for a spin off.
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

motcat wrote:I didn't say it was OK. I said I didn't care. I wasn't offering the Kardashian clan as a supporting argument for RR. Just pointing out RR is not unique in his scam. I can't stand RR. I think I hate everything about him especially those noises he makes and running his hand through his hair. Turns my stomach. I watched the show specifically to see what Aaron Kauffman was going to build and to see if his beard got in the way. I'm hoping for a spin off.
Yeah, I only watched the show for Aaron, and he was the true car guy of the show. I mean, a few other guys do know their stuff, but he was the brains, and I am glad he is moving on to other things. But I don't think we will see a show about him, as he specifically does not want to do these super fast builds. he wants to go back to making a quality product.

Although this type of format would be perfect for YouTube.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Hell, I'd watch a build by Aaron that took more than two weeks a hundred times before I'd watch Richard again, at all. Been watching Bad Obsession build the same car for at least two years, I think. And pretty sure they have another year to go, at least but, I'll be watching when they do finish it!
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

falconte43

Post by falconte43 »

Why are there no J-Truck builds on any of these tv shows??? Maybe you guys know of one, I'd love to see it.
1977 Jeep J10, 360 V8

orlandocv

Post by orlandocv »

I just binged watched a bunch of episodes of Barn Find Hunter on Amazon Fire TV...very captivating!

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

falconte43 wrote:Why are there no J-Truck builds on any of these tv shows??? Maybe you guys know of one, I'd love to see it.
While not a J-Truck, "Pimp my Ride" did a Wagoneer. It was a young guy working as an inexperienced handy-man and his janky old wag didn't run so he was carrying second hand ladders and skilsaws on the bus. The build was ridiculous as well. Obnoxious yellow and lime green, and a bunch of walmart cordless tools in a mirror/flashing light carousel in the back. Everything about it was so, so sad. From the backstory to finished project, it all made me want to cry. Be thankful that none of these hacks have gone near a J-Truck.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Post by 243 »

Too much drama (made for TV reality BS)

I liked Xtreme 4x4, met Ian ? at SEMA in 2008 but the builds have gone too far away from my interests and all his cool tools make me jealous.

I don't care for Garage Squad, Wheeler Dealers, either of the Junkyard shows, the Chick show, Gas Monkey (was cool but with Kaufman checking out not so cool), saw Rawlings at SEMA 2016 and he acted and made the same goofy sounds just like he does on the show. Don't like the street racer show or the big truck show either. Boyd's show was okay with the exception of the EX.

Bitchin Rides, West Coast Customs (Ish is a baddass upholstery magician), Truck Tech, Gears, Detroit Muscle, Engine Power are decent.

Favorite by far was Overhaulin, at least there was a purpose, still watch re-runs.

I still remember the first show I watched, it was the El Camino build for the surfer kid who started crying like a baby, and when the camera panned across the A-team, they were crying too :D

One of my favorites was the ex-Hooter's girl turned teachers Chevy II build, sweet car and dang she was hot.

Oh, and the Navy Seal that was two steps (seconds?) from yanking Chris's head off his body was a good episode, actually most was good.

I am somewhat annoyed that Iron Resurrection has not started a second season, seems to be a down to earth bunch, having fun and building some cool rides, and Amanda Martin is a cutie.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

REDONE wrote:
falconte43 wrote:Why are there no J-Truck builds on any of these tv shows??? Maybe you guys know of one, I'd love to see it.
While not a J-Truck, "Pimp my Ride" did a Wagoneer. It was a young guy working as an inexperienced handy-man and his janky old wag didn't run so he was carrying second hand ladders and skilsaws on the bus. The build was ridiculous as well. Obnoxious yellow and lime green, and a bunch of walmart cordless tools in a mirror/flashing light carousel in the back. Everything about it was so, so sad. From the backstory to finished project, it all made me want to cry. Be thankful that none of these hacks have gone near a J-Truck.
For those who just need to evacuate their bowels...
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by 243 »

I remember that episode well, cool to see an FSJ rebuilt, even a ghetto build ;)
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

So where's he put the ladder he was carrying on the bus?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

Stuka wrote:
prospector wrote:They went head to head in their mopars, gas monkey in a 68-69 dodge dart, built to the hilt, and roadkill in freibergers '69 dodge charger with the full on computerized dodge hellcat engine setup, built by a specialty factory affilliated company, 707 hp. When the lights turned green all roadkill saw was the quickly fading tail lights of a dodge dart, it was GONE. Freiberger and finnigan went home embarassed.
Wow, so much wrong in this statement.

1: GMG only agreed to the challenge after Dodge stepped in and said "you either agree, or we pull our funding". because GMG wanted nothing to do with Roadkill. The whole idea of the challenge WAS Dodges.

2: BOTH teams were required to use a Hellcat Engine and Transmission. Dodge provided the setups to both teams.

3: Car bodies were supposed to be in stock form. GMG back halved their car and did a full tub, which allowed for FAR larger tires.

4: GMG did not use the 8sp ZF trans, they put in a power glide (FAR less parasitic losses, 2sp perfect for drag racing)

5: While another team did the engine swap on the RK Charger, GMG also hired out their Hemi stuff to DiabloSport.

6: The single biggest issue, and what I was alluding too above, is the BS that Discovery channel pulled. Not just the stuff that was done on purpose to spice up the show (GMG actually said they broke the rules on purpose), but the Roadkill crew was NOT ALLOWED TO RECORD THE RACE. So the big race, that was at Roadkill Nights, could not be recorded by Roadkill.

The car that GMG built was a good car, Aaron knows his stuff. And I actually like Aaron, I just cannot stand Richard. But the BS "reality" TV crap that was pulled is what pissed people off.

EDIT: BTW, Diversified Creations that did the hemi swap on the charger is not Chrysler affiliated shop. They did the swap simply because the RK guys didn't have the time to do it themselves. And they were very clear and open about that fact.
Despite GMG cheating when building a car to race Big Chief from Street Outlaws, Rawlings had his butt kicked and looked like a fool.

letank

Post by letank »

243 wrote:I remember that episode well, cool to see an FSJ rebuilt, even a ghetto build ;)
Ah, ah, ah, the air bag substituted to the shocks was a good idea... so was the microwave... who wants to eat cold pizza...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

As said before Roadkill is awesome, by extension Finnegans garage is also awesome.
In the market for a new FSJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Saw this on a commercial for some kind of breakfast bar thing...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wagoneer84

Post by wagoneer84 »

You can't forget Junkyard Wars, That was my favorite
1984 Grand Wagoneer

Shagoneer

Post by Shagoneer »

Funny after we just discussed roadkill, they bought a wagoner to fix up up. The new episode of Roadkill garage is just then wrenching at an old waggy
In the market for a new FSJ