Rockauto.com

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
prospector

Rockauto.com

Post by prospector »

Have you guys bought parts from Rockauto.com? They don't seem to have any way for us to contact an actual person there, leastways I sure can't find a way, not even when ya know the name of a represenative of the company. I can understand the utility of web-based shopping, but having no way to speak to a person is beyond stupid, we're humans, interacting with others is how we communicate, don't they understand that?

My rant is done, the soap-box is now available for others to use.

REDONE

Re: Rockauto.com

Post by REDONE »

No, you're absolutely right. I buy from Rockauto from time to time (and have a fridge covered in their magnets to prove it) but it's not my first choice just for that reason. I try to buy local first, but when there's a 150% price difference or some absurd lead-time,for the exact same part from the exact same brand, sometimes I buckle and feed the consumerist machine.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I've contacted an actual person there. Few years ago concerning a bosch fuel pump. Dunno, I was thinking they had a 1-800# then, but who knows. Found this on their site

RockAuto, LLC
6418 Normandy Lane
Suite 100
Madison, WI 53719
1-608-661-1376
service@rockauto.com
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Post by letank »

Bought a few parts either for the waggie or the civic. The pict are a very good way to have an idea of what you are getting.
I was looking at the diverter valve for the Air Pump... too cheap to buy the full unit when only the elbow is messed up... some Ferd have the same set up, so the picts helped to find the correct year when going to the JY.
Their trans cooling hose are pretty good too, much better than summit.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I've spoken with a live body there as well but it didn't do much good. I ordered a clutch kit for my J2000 and everything was perfect except the throw out bearing which was obviously wrong. They basically told me the part i received is what is listed in their computer for my application and that was it. So I used the clutch and pressure plate, reused my original throw out bearing and called it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

ordered many items from them, never had an issue. But, never for anything super old.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I typically only buy from them when the parts I want are going to ship together. Shipping can get expensive.

Also here is a coupon code:

5% Discount Code: BA48457F43B0AC
Expires: June 21, 2017

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

I use em a lot. These are just the magnets I've gotten from the waggy build.ImageImage

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I have bought a lot of stuff from them with no problems. Sometimes they have parts on distributor closeouts, and you can get it super cheap. Never had to talk to a person though.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I use them all the time, if i can't get a part locally for close price. I don't know how, but I have received everything from them much earlier than estimated delivery, usually within a day or so. It does require my own research into what exactly i need and from what vehicle. I have a lot of stuff from various vehicles on my rigs, so it can get confusing. Similar to walking into local parts house and first question the clerk asks is what vehicle i have.. I always laugh. Well, i need this part from a 19xx caprice, and this part from a 19xx Ford, oh, and it is going on a Jeep, so i need this for a 19xx Jeep..
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

motcat

Post by motcat »

I've spent thousands at RockAuto. I always combine shipping to get the best bang for you buck. I have ordered brake rotors and they were still less expensive including shipping than going to the local auto parts store. For almost everything, they offer Economy, Daily Driver, and Performance categories of parts. You get what you pay for.

RockAuto is perfect for ordering low weight parts like Air, cabin, oil filters, fuses, bulbs, windshield wipers, rad hoses, spark plugs etc. No one can touch their price on stuff like that.

I've also talked to a human on the phone 3 times and was always treated well. I returned parts that I either mis-ordered or they got wrong. My mistake I pay for return shipping and restocking fee, their mistake is no cost to me.

They are limited on Jeep parts but if you can cross reference to another vehicle, you might find it in stock (e.g. the Hayden 2792 fan clutch).
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

My first order from them: needed strut rod bushings for a C-body mopar, their MOOG listing shows the full set of four halves $13.96, cool! Bushings come, plastic bag torn open & only two bushing halves there, I start looking for anything that says "contact us" or a number, nothing, so I do online customer svc. report on it, they tell me MOOG changed them, only two halves per box now, I'm SOL and had to order another, but feel like I was taken for a ride by them, like they played me for a sucker. They are now my LAST resort for car parts. I didn't even get a friggin refridgerator magnet, bastards.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

prospector wrote:My first order from them: needed strut rod bushings for a C-body mopar, their MOOG listing shows the full set of four halves $13.96, cool! Bushings come, plastic bag torn open & only two bushing halves there, I start looking for anything that says "contact us" or a number, nothing, so I do online customer svc. report on it, they tell me MOOG changed them, only two halves per box now, I'm SOL and had to order another, but feel like I was taken for a ride by them, like they played me for a sucker. They are now my LAST resort for car parts. I didn't even get a friggin refridgerator magnet, bastards.
Well, its not entirely their fault. They have millions of items, and many are drop shipped. I have had plenty of odd items wrong from amazon. Sure it sucks, not saying it doesn't. Just that, things happen.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I have been ordering from them for years now. Usually my first stop shop now, unless I have to have the part now. I buy all my wiper blades from them, cheap! I purchased a oil pressure sender for my jeep for $2.95! It was so cheap I did not think it was event the right sender, but it was. Great close out prices and a great source of parts for my Opel. Love them.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I used to live in North Orange County, and literally had my choice of 20 or so different autoparts store within a 5 minute drive, plus a bunch of specialty parts stores. Now, I have a choice of 1 autoparts store, thats usually not open, even when the sign says they will be, doesn't usually have much in the way of parts, and is literally smaller than my master bedroom. So yeah, Ive been using RockAuto a lot more lately.

Most of the chain stores dont know any more than whats in their computers any more anyways, so chances are they will hand you the wrong part just as often as RockAuto. And unless youve already pulled the part from your rig to compare, your pretty much in the same spot.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I use RockAuto a lot. Generally I'm satisfied with them. And yes, they do have an automated system for returns. If you present the system with something it can't handle, you hear from a live person. But the automated system always follows the return policy - so be sure and read it if you worry about being able to send stuff back.

One problem with the RockAuto listings - they have a lot of errors. Typically these errors are in the wrong year range or model applicability for the parts listings. For example, you may find parts specific to the J10 listed in the J20 category. Or the engines and transmissions listed for that year is wrong. I think most of these errors come from the parts suppliers, who likely pick the range of applicability for a particular part from the Hollander Interchange Guide that junkyards use to sell parts across applications. Errors in these books propagate without correction.

If you are going to buy parts online, and you want to get the correct part, I suggest you consult the factory parts book. Find the Jeep PN for the part you need and cross it on RockAuto. Or enter it in Google as "Jeep <the PN>" and see what hits you get. Usually the aftermarket Jeep sellers will include the Jeep PN in their ads, so a search will turn up those listings.

I've also bought more parts lately from Amazon.com - usually their prices are not as low as RockAuto, but if you belong to Prime you can usually skip the shipping costs and it turns out to be comparable if not cheaper. Amazon's great appeal is their return policy. If you make a mistake and buy the wrong part, they won't pay for return shipping, but pretty much any other reason for return is accepted.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

derf

Post by derf »

I've had good luck with Rock Auto. As stated above, some of the parts are listed incorrectly so you have to be careful in what you order. I buy from them any time it's not an "I need it right now" situation. Even then, a lot of FSJ specific parts have to come from the warehouse so it takes a day or two to get the parts I need. Waiting for shipping from Rock Auto makes sense in that case. When you look at how much money you save, even when you factor in shipping, there's little reason not to buy from them.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Stuka wrote:
prospector wrote:My first order from them: needed strut rod bushings for a C-body mopar, their MOOG listing shows the full set of four halves $13.96, cool! Bushings come, plastic bag torn open & only two bushing halves there, I start looking for anything that says "contact us" or a number, nothing, so I do online customer svc. report on it, they tell me MOOG changed them, only two halves per box now, I'm SOL and had to order another, but feel like I was taken for a ride by them, like they played me for a sucker. They are now my LAST resort for car parts. I didn't even get a friggin refridgerator magnet, bastards.
Well, its not entirely their fault. They have millions of items, and many are drop shipped. I have had plenty of odd items wrong from amazon. Sure it sucks, not saying it doesn't. Just that, things happen.

I know what you're saying Stuka, poo-poo happens. But to not be able to speak to a customer svc. rep. is BS, I mean bull poo-poo.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

prospector wrote:My first order from them: needed strut rod bushings for a C-body mopar, their MOOG listing shows the full set of FOUR halves $13.96, cool! Bushings come, plastic bag torn open & only TWO bushing halves there, I do online customer svc. report on it, they tell me MOOG changed them, only two halves per box now, I'm SOL and had to order another. I didn't even get a friggin refrigerator magnet, bastards.
Update: I just now get the other two bushing halves in the mail, same exact MOOG part #, same MOOG box, I open it and there are FOUR bushing halves in the box, not two like they said, I now have two spare halves. BUT they sent me TWO refrigerator magnets, both the same, a blue Oldsmobile! What am I gonna do with a blue Oldsmobile refrigerator magnet? Bastards. ;)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

prospector wrote:
prospector wrote:My first order from them: needed strut rod bushings for a C-body mopar, their MOOG listing shows the full set of FOUR halves $13.96, cool! Bushings come, plastic bag torn open & only TWO bushing halves there, I do online customer svc. report on it, they tell me MOOG changed them, only two halves per box now, I'm SOL and had to order another. I didn't even get a friggin refrigerator magnet, bastards.
Update: I just now get the other two bushing halves in the mail, same exact MOOG part #, same MOOG box, I open it and there are FOUR bushing halves in the box, not two like they said, I now have two spare halves. BUT they sent me TWO refrigerator magnets, both the same, a blue Oldsmobile! What am I gonna do with a blue Oldsmobile refrigerator magnet? Bastards. ;)

Haha... I have some very odd ones. My wife's favorite is a magnet with a Volvo station wagon. Image