Steering Wheel Wrap

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
SJTD

Steering Wheel Wrap

Post by SJTD »

Anyone know a source for genuine leather tape for wrapping steering wheels?

Found some stuff on Amazon but it only comes in 3' lengths and is square edged. I seem to remember stuff that was perforated and had tapered edges so it went on pretty flat. Like a tennis racquet grip.

I bought a leather cover for my CJ that worked well but it was a foam wheel so it gave a little when I laced it up and the cover fits tight. I'm not so optimistic about about that type of cover on a hard wheel.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Re: Steering Wheel Wrap

Post by REDONE »

I just bought a wheel wrap off Amazon. I'll get you the details when I get home. The issue I had was that my steering wheel is the super thin old school style, so I had to bulk it up by taping vacuum tube to it for the wrap to lace up tight.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Wuhduhyuh got?

From your description I'm thinking it's not tape.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

SJTD wrote:Wuhduhyuh got?

From your description I'm thinking it's not tape.
Crap forgot! Hold on a second!

EDIT>> It's this one! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L8 ... UTF8&psc=1

My wheel is 15.25" outside diameter, and the the grip circumference was only about 2.125". The one I ordered is L- (large minus). It fits perfect around the diameter, but even being a "minus" was too big around the grip, so I taped this vacuum tube around the wheel. After much consideration, I decided it has the right amount of squish for my thumbs without being too soft.

I couldn't get a good pic in the lighting, but I'm really happy with how the stitch is tightening up. I want it tight so the wrap doesn't twist around the wheel over time (looks gawd awful when they do that, considering the work it takes to stitch it). Also, I have a toddler, so getting the hour or so it will take to finish it never seems to happen. As soon as I climb in and start needling, the screaming starts. :P

Double EDIT>>> Obviously this isn't tape, sorry for the missunderstanding on my part! I would like to add that I had taped it before when I first started driving the truck, but it scootched away from where my hands go over time and bunched up around the spokes. I cut it off and replaced it with the parts store wheel cover you see on the floor in one of my pics. I'm pretty sure that tape came from the "Speed Shop" section in Pepboys and I definitely don't recommend it. It was real leather and the suede side had an adhesive in it. It also came with a tiny roll of electrical tape to tape over the end. The adhesive didn't keep it from moving around and before I started this wheel cover, I spent way longer than I liked using WD40 and a rag to clean all the leftover adhesive off (then simple green to clean all the WD40 off).
Grizzly Locker Rear

prospector

Post by prospector »

Tandy Leather company.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I went to Tandy before I bought this wheel cover and they were nice, but not much help. They didn't have any resources for wrapping steering wheels or professional advice. All the straps they had in stock where thick (and too short), meant for belts and purse straps. I thought briefly about wrapping my steering wheel in rabbit fur, but I snapped out of it. :P
Grizzly Locker Rear

prospector

Post by prospector »

Just gotta buy a bulk of leather in the appropriate thickness, usually 38" x 12" and 1/16th" thick, cut to size, and lace it up with their heavy waxed thread, helps to have an awl. Time consuming but very satisfying when done.

Topic author
SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah but I was looking for something like tennis racquet grip tape.

That lace on cover is like what I used on my CJ but the edges were hemmed. Had to order it specifying wheel diameter and thickness. Wasn't thirteen bucks though!

After thinking about it, tape prolly won't work anyway. It's for my '16 Jetta wheel that has two big "spokes".
Sic friatur crustulum

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

There is a guy named Kim (I think) on the Scrambler forum that does some first class leather work. He wraps the grab bar (oh she-ite handle) and is looking at doing door pulls. Maybe if enough of us were interested he could see about wheel wrapping??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prospector

Post by prospector »

Check out what some of the foreign car guys are using, I found a leather steering wheel cover at a foreign car hop-up shop, it fit my 16" wheel like it was made for it, really high quality. Ya gotta look under the rocks sometimes.