Jerry can color

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
prospector

Jerry can color

Post by prospector »

Is there some DOT law that says that a rear mounted Jerry can must be painted red? I have two Vietnam era cans that are olive drab, and am going to mount them to my wag, but really don't want them bright red, that'll attract attention and thieves, no one would want crappy old green ones. Is it State mandated, or DOT, if there's even a law at all?

REDONE

Re: Jerry can color

Post by REDONE »

I highly doubt it. They come in every color under the sun, red is just the most prolific because it means gas instead of diesel, kerosene, or water. Run your green ones.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Well Redone, I called the Illinois DOT, and they told me in no uncertain terms that in the State of IL it is illegal to even put gasoline into any container that is NOT red. They said that the colors are specific to various liquids, so diesel or kerosene must be kept in yellow containers, gas in red, and water in blue, no ifs ands or buts. They really don't have any sense of humor about this at all, cuz I asked about Dr. Pepper, crickets. Lol

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

LoL, Dr. Pepper...

That's crazy. I've been running olive drab containers for years. Maybe that's only to be used for Olive oil?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Haha! All those army trucks are straight breakin' the law, putting gas and water in the same color Jerry cans!

(Military fuel and water cans are differentiated by the number of handles)
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

Well, I guess they're in violation of Illinois law at least. I've never been to ohio but I had a buddy who got popped for having blue dot tail lights, something like $325 for that, and he had to appear in court, he was just driving through. Ohio must need the revenue really badly. Anyway the local DOT guy here said it's up to each individual State, but I want confirmation on that. Or maybe I'll just piss em off and haul olive oil in em, good idea lump. :D

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have two...going to keep them Olive Drab :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Man I hate those Illinois Nazis.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

To my knowledge, this isnt just in that state, all 50 states have these same regulations. Although I believe white is fine for water as well.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
prospector

Post by prospector »

I would think that it would be a federal thing, Every State having different DOT rules would be a recipe for chaos, but what the hell do I know?

az chip

Post by az chip »

Make gas cans great again. If you buy them from a Army Navy store as olive drab, is that my problem? No...
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

I'll cover mine in wood grain vinyl.

They won't even notice..
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Don S

Post by Don S »

I do believe the color code is law. Of course Lawmakers and the military are not covered by those laws.
The color code is to help firefighters quickly see danger spots. Gasoline doesn't burn... it's the vapor that
burns at an alarming rate. Many fuel cans are not vented and the gasoline vapor pressure generates quickly
and bursting seams can let it escape. So paint your fuel cans with pink pock-a-dots or what ever.... it will be very cute!!!
I had a red one on the tail gate of my "76 for 30 years.

Good Luck.. Don S..

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Don S wrote:..

I had a red one on the tail gate of my "76 for 30 years.

Good Luck.. Don S..
You had that sucker plumbed in too! I remember when I saw it in real life!

Back on topic, I just can't swallow this. All the metal Jerry can manufacturers claim they are DOT approved in 50 states and they all sell lots of colors. I think the person you talked to was blowing smoke.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

DOT can colors (also inline with EU)
Red: Flammable liquids
Yellow: Diesel
Blue: Kerosene
Green: Oil (was diesel but was changed to match EU and UN HAZMAT id alignment 3 years ago)
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.

will e

Post by will e »

I supposed they don't care if you put water in a red or green can. They will treat it like fuel if they are approaching it.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I'd say beat them at their own game. Buy a batch of 4" Hazmat labels with the correct "UN1203/flammable" logo and affix one label to each vertical side of the can.

I've been using old military cans for years in both OD and tan with no issues...yet. I guess it all depends on the 'right' cop.

Come to think of it I once ran out of gas in the middle of the night within sight of a gas station and walked over with my Jerry can. The attendant shut the pump off because it was an "unapproved container." She had a fit because it wasn't red. The station three miles down the road didn't seem to care :roll:
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Milk jugs aren't red.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:I'd say beat them at their own game. Buy a batch of 4" Hazmat labels with the correct "UN1203/flammable" logo and affix one label to each vertical side of the can.

I've been using old military cans for years in both OD and tan with no issues...yet. I guess it all depends on the 'right' cop.
This! Yes!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

It definitely depends on the state and officer. CA even got it wrong in there official law enforcement suspicious person terrorism training video. They dont even enforce the approved noxxle law after it is bought. In OR they will wait till you have an accident then spend hours nitpicking the scene for every violation they can write you up for, the the ODOT officer will see if there was anything missed.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.