Mallory HyFire 6EZ, anyone ever run one?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Mallory HyFire 6EZ, anyone ever run one?

Post by Nikkormat »

I just picked up a new in box Mallory HyFire 6EZ, the kind that you plug your stock coil in to, for a song. I bought it just for the coil (USA made tfi coil!) But the more I look at It there isn't anything preventing me from running the ignition box too.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/maa-6855m

I was going to run a points distributor with an Ignitor three just for multiple spark and adaptive dwell. But this should do the same thing in conjunction with my stock ignition right?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

will e

Re: Mallory HyFire 6EZ, anyone ever run one?

Post by will e »

I would not go with points. They are difficult to keep in tune.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

will e wrote:I would not go with points. They are difficult to keep in tune.
It's a magnetic trigger inside a points distributor. No points to set.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I fart on Mallory ignitions and leave them in the litter box for the cats.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If this is anything like the MSD module, it accepts a points trigger (Kettering trigger). If I already had the distributor and module, I'd go ahead and trigger from the points and skip the Pertronix. What the module sees is the same. Once this is set up, the points only supply a low-voltage trigger to the module. The coil switching, with its big inductive load, is handled by the module. The points should last a looong time, likely until the fiber block wears out. As the block wears out, that affects the dwell and the advance to a smaller degree, but the module does not care so much about the dwell. Put a little grease on the cam lobe, and check the timing after say 10K miles to see if it's changed.

And, if your new module fails, you can rewire in the field to fall back to conventional points ignition. A built-in backup! Now, the Pertronix module should do this too, but I don't think you gain much by installing it, other than some added complexity.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

This ignition is strange, in that it uses your stock coil as a trigger. You run the coil primary wire directly to the unit and then it forest it's own TFI style coil. So if you were running it with points you'd still have to set dwell. I'm thinking that the added delay would also affect rotor phasing too right?

I've decided I'm going to run it with the fuel injection for multiple spark. Worst case scenario it dies and I have to swap a coil wire around.

Land Rover guys like them, and report no failures, but then again they are driving Land Rovers. :roll: