Nerds! I need help with a computer choice

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Re: Nerds! I need help with a computer choice

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Nikkormat wrote:Hey marn... PM me for a Windows 7 key.
It's okay, I already purchased 10.

I pirated for years and years and years. Games, music, other types of software. The day I graduated from college I told myself "well, i'm an adult now...i can start paying for stuff" LOL! I dont think i've pirated anything since.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:

I pirated for years and years and years. Games, music, other types of software. The day I graduated from college I told myself "well, i'm an adult now...i can start paying for stuff" LOL! I dont think i've pirated anything since.
I ain't no pirate! I got that code fair and square... Just happens to be a commercial code that I maybe shouldn't nessecarily have...

But good to hear you're​not on xp!
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Nikkormat wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:

I ain't no pirate! I got that code fair and square... Just happens to be a commercial code that I maybe shouldn't nessecarily have...

But good to hear you're​not on xp!
Lol i appreciate it though. And yes. How ridiculous is it that I'm still running XP? I think support for it ends this year. Support for 7 ends 2020? or 2022?
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Lol i appreciate it though. And yes. How ridiculous is it that I'm still running XP? I think support for it ends this year. Support for 7 ends 2020? or 2022?
That means in 2020 and 2022 they will send Malware down your Windows update port and destroy your files and HD.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

plasticboob

Post by plasticboob »

Let's see who the real nerds are...

Rob
1974 Cherokee S, fuel-injected 401,Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
Click here for video

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have gotten rid of most of my very old machines. Still have a few in the closet. Think they are a Macintosh IIcx, LC475, and a Performa 6200CD. Also finally got rid of some old peripherals. Like an old NEC SCSI CD drive that used CD caddies :)
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I still have my Mac Cube because I thought it might be worth something eventually. Its matching monitor had a backlight failure and I did not save it. I also have a 2000-ish iMac in my basement that a colleague of mine rescued and wants ... and of course it's in my basement because I have a basement. I should set it up in my guest room.

The Tandy is cool.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

wow. I am retarded. I ordered a case that doesnt have a location for a DVD drive, and I ordered an internal DVD drive.

Man, I'm an idiot.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

ph actually theres a perfect sized slot behind the front grate, All i need to do is make 2 little brackets and it'll fit nicely. crisis averted.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Parts have started to arrive. weeeeee! Everything should be here by Wednesday or Thursday.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Always fun to build a new machine!

One thing I did with my last one, is go through and use mesh wire loom for just about every wire to make them all look nice and neat. I got it off amazon for pretty cheap, plus lots of little zip ties. Also nice for air flow.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Always fun to build a new machine!

One thing I did with my last one, is go through and use mesh wire loom for just about every wire to make them all look nice and neat. I got it off amazon for pretty cheap, plus lots of little zip ties. Also nice for air flow.
Yeah, I've been there done that. There shouldnt me buch in the way of wires running around in this one, the SATA cables are already clean, the modular power supply cables should be nice, blah blah blah.

We'll see.

And I'm glad i found out how to mount that optical drive. should be nice and stealth behind the front cover.

az chip

Post by az chip »

What kind of lift you gonna put on it?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Just had a sad nerd moment. I pulled the hard drive containing all my pictures and music and everything out of my old PC to put into the new one as a secondary drive, and realized there is no reason to even keep the old one around anymore. It's been a good 9 years together...I built it solely for the release of Fallout 3 in 2008. We've been through so many games and school projects, roommates, apartments/houses, girlfriends, cities.... goodnight sweet dusty prince.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Certainly cannot complain about its reliability!
2017 JKU Rubicon

az chip

Post by az chip »

So the one thing that works in your house you are throwing out? Did we not cover this in the sad thread? Just kidding. Long lived pc. I have my compaq laptop for FI tuning still. Bought it in 1998.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

az chip wrote:So the one thing that works in your house you are throwing out? Did we not cover this in the sad thread? Just kidding. Long lived pc. I have my compaq laptop for FI tuning still. Bought it in 1998.
LOL!!!! Thats pretty funny right there.

My old build still works, sure, but it works about as well as my jeep LOL!!!! For web browsing, running CAD 2007, word processing, photoshop, etc, but it was slow and had a lot of problems. Probably nothing a good reformat and reinstallation of windows wouldnt have fixed, but its way outdated is all.