Any experience with this Phili Shop?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
REDONE

Any experience with this Phili Shop?

Post by REDONE »

http://girlsautoclinic.com/about/

It's a repair shop staffed by women and marketed towards women! They call themselves "SheCANics".

I'm not being facetious when I say I LOVE this premise! I know there are more than a couple Engineers and Technicians on the board, and I am a BIG supporter of women in STEM (there's no A in STEM :x ).

I know that nearly all successful marketing includes an aspect of sexualization, but I like that the images aren't a wash of models in their underwear licking pistons and wrenches. Even though there are sexual aspects (short skirt sitting on a hood, lipstick in a side mirror), it's seems very much aimed at women's self perception, not for mens fantasies.

They also hold workshops for women to learn about cars. I like this because i believe the absolute worst expert to teach women about cars is their husbands, followed closely by brothers and dads. A dad can teach his daughter about cars until she's about 15, then forget it (with exceptions of course, Bob. ;) )

The article I saw says they hope to become a nation-wide chain and I hope they do! I'd definitely like my wife to have an option where I don't have to be there incase they tell her she needs a $500 headlight fluid change or $1000 worth of muffler bearings. ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

SJTD

Re: Any experience with this Phili Shop?

Post by SJTD »

Just because it's a woman working on the car doesn't mean she's honest.

A woman is just as capable of diagnosing a blown muffler bearing as a man.

In fact I see more potential for dishonesty because a woman might assume the female mechanic is being straight and not question her.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Any experience with this Phili Shop?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

There was a shop in Atlanta called "My favorite mechanic is a woman". Not sure if they are still around but they had good reviews for many years. To me it's all marketing but I don't have an issue with it. If they know how to turn a quality wrench and have ethics in doing business, good for them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk