What would you guys do if you got burned by a seller on ebay ?

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

What would you guys do if you got burned by a seller on ebay ?

Post by candymancan »

So i purchased some chrome 5x2 fog lights on ebay. My 90 one of the previous owners cut the fog lights out vs just unplugging them lol, and when i first got the Jeep 10-11 months ago i purchased cheap $15 fog lights from autozone they worked and are bright for standard 55w bulbs but the mounting on em is terrible and wiggles because its plastic mounting tab and anytime i have em on i can see the lights wiggling on the road.

So i got new ones, same shaped glass halogen lights but in chrome housings with metal mounts similar to the factory mounts. Paid $42 for em too if you add shipping. Got em two days ago and the seller mailed em in a bubble envalope with no box.. so two metalic/glass lights in a envalope. The chrome in the back of one was dented pretty good, and missing a screw for the swivel mount. On top of that the other one the glass is cracked on the side bout 1/4 of an inch. Its been two days now and no reply from the seller.. He has 24k reviews 98% positive but the negative reviews sound similar to me. No response from seller and damaged items. I was going to ignore the bolt and dent in the back because you dont see the back of the light due to the grills proximity.. So i went to the store and got a bolt and as i was getting ready to mount them.. Thats when i noticed the crack and on top of that the bulb/reflector are mounted upside down. So the slit in the glass ======== like this. The bulb should be in the center of the two lines, instead its on the top line. Am i making sense ? Bascially the lights are junky,

Im a very impatient person. And i contacted ebay and they pretty much wont do anything its up to the seller to respond so i can exchange them. I also refuse to pay for shipping the item back because of how careless he was in shipping in the first place.. Plus the missing bolt isnt in the bag and i guaruntee he knew about it, he has to mail me a shipping label and or new lights first before i mail anything back to him, assuming he even responds to me. Thats just how i see it.

How much longer should I wait before i do something ? And by something im talking about calling my credit card company and doing a charge back. Or what would you guys do ? I could take my identical fogs out of the plastic housings on my other lights i got and put them in the chrome housing. But thats besides the point of him mailing me damaged products and improperly built lenses with missing peices
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

az chip

Re: What would you guys do if you got burned by a seller on ebay ?

Post by az chip »

Start the ebay claims process. DO NOT close the claim until you are satisfied. I learned the hard way on that one. Ebay gives the seller 10 days to respond. Did you pay via paypal? That helps. Keep all packaging and take pictures now. Do not change out parts. Good luck.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yes i already took pics and saved the packaging. I paid via paypal using my linked debit card. Claims i read on ebay can take 30-40 days.. I have a feeling this guy is going to drag it out and or not even respond. In which case he has my money and i have his junk. Thats why im considering a charge back and keeping the lights if he doesnt respond.

Maybe im jumping the gun ? but im not waiting a month for $40

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Ebay didn't use to give a rat's patootie about claims (back around 99-00 when they added Ebay Motors). Caveat Emptor was their mantra. Then enough people were using their service, they revamped the Claims Process and it really works. I buy and sell a goodly amount on Ebay and AZ CHIP is 100% right... do NOT close it until you are absolutely satisfied. The longest claim I had went back and forth just over 2 weeks. And that was for 500 bucks worth of stuff. It's not the holiday season, so I am sure it wont take a month.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yep. Follow the procedure. If it takes a month it takes a month.

You are agreeing to that when you buy through ebay.

Only ebay problem I've had was a 4.0 head modified for use on a 4.2. Several cracks "fixed" with a screw at the ends, welded crack running across a valve seat and touched up with a stone. None of the valve mating surfaces were a consistent width. Valves looked like they had been tumbled in a cement mixer. Add said new valves, obviously not, so I filed a "not as advertised" claim. They paid return shipping.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Well day 3 no response from him yet. I tracked him down and got his number for his in home business he has in california. Im going to call him and ask him if he is going to return these or give me trouble like he did other negative reviews. I agreed to ebays policies when i made an account sure, but i am within my right to charge back if he refuses to return or exchange the items arent I ?

I filed a claim with ebay lets see what happens

letank

Post by letank »

deckroid wrote: do NOT close it until you are absolutely satisfied. The longest claim I had went back and forth just over 2 weeks. And that was for 500 bucks worth of stuff. It's not the holiday season, so I am sure it wont take a month.
My longest claim was over a year, from a seller in Canada. I filed for mail fraud with the US postmaster and the Canada post service... that was in the early 2000... or 01, for the principle, the part was only $10... I got the money back... and had to buy the new part... it is tiring to push an 1100cc motorbike to start it anytime, any day... for over 6 months... the kicker was when the clutch cable snapped...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

az chip

Post by az chip »

candymancan wrote:Well day 3 no response from him yet. I tracked him down and got his number for his in home business he has in california. Im going to call him and ask him if he is going to return these or give me trouble like he did other negative reviews. I agreed to ebays policies when i made an account sure, but i am within my right to charge back if he refuses to return or exchange the items arent I ?

I filed a claim with ebay lets see what happens

Dude, Relax just a bit. Let the process work. No need to escalate with stalking behavior. Just let the process work. And with paypal you are protected.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Don't contact him directly. Let the eBay claim process do its thing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuka wrote:Don't contact him directly. Let the eBay claim process do its thing.
I totally agree with Stuka here.
If you contact him a few times, even if he doesn't answer and you do it again he can claim harassment and things can quickly turn sideways on you. Ebay will often side with the buyer...often even when they are in wrong, so be patient and things will work out.

I got burned bigtime by a buyer I sold a pair of CJ-7 half doors to. Nowhere in my advert did I say door locks and hinges included and the extensive photos clearly showed them not on the doors. Ebay ruled in favor of the buyer and I had to either refund and pay shipping or send him these parts...which I didn't have.
Getting burned for 10-15 dollars is not the end of the world so just hang in there and justice will be served.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I just hate dishonest people man thats one thing i have never been in life is a liar. I may be an asshole sometimes but ill never lie, its only 40$ (not 10-15) so its still chump change but thats not the point. Irks me when people do that, one reason i have never bought anything on ebay ever is that fear.. but those lights did look nice and i was tired of the cheapo plastic ones that were wiggling on the road that i installed. Notice in his pic the reflector is in the proper position. on mine the reflector is upside down so the bulb is too high, to to mention the other problems.

I decided after talking with my bank to go through them which overrides ebay and paypal, I did a charge back. I already got my $42 back submitted the ad, the two emails ive sent him as proof of me trying to reach out and they opened a claim directly with paypal. I already won this if he doesnt reply and if he does he has to accept my terms on the exchange or return otherwise i get to keep the $42 and the lights and he gets fined $20 from paypal as well. Lets how he likes that. :-bd. 5 days now no response

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

I had bought about $2,000 in engine parts for a CAT 3406 from an EBay seller. Half were either wrong parts or too destroyed to use. EBay/PayPal made me ship the defective items back on my dime but they did side with me. So in the end we got refunded for the entire transaction instead of just one one-two bad parts and several wrong parts.
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I worked for eBay and PayPal, and I would have charged back if he didn't play ball. Egay hates it when you do that, but too bad. I would have given him some time to play ball, but never wait until your charge back period is over. I would not rely on eBay or Paypal to keep you from getting screwed. Plus, he is running a business-- you are well within your right to call his business and ask for a refund.

FYI, take the satisfaction numbers reported on eBay with a serious grain of salt. They can be clickfarmed and manipulated.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea well its been like what 9 days now. No response. So im glad i did the charge back. Navy fed is still (investigating) but im sure itll come back fine.

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I've been using eBay as my main parts buying hub for years, even over Amazon, and have never had an issue with claims. Both times I have had to use claims it was resolved within a week and I was refunded a couple days after that.
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Its been 2 weeks now no response still. But i got a letter from navy federal their investigation is over and the 42$ they gsve me back is now permenant. So i get to keep ny 42$ and those damaged lights. Now i can swap that cracked front glass out and install them on the Jeep