Whiskey Guidelines

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
REDONE

Whiskey Guidelines

Post by REDONE »

I've had a significant number of faux pas recently with guests and acquaintances regarding whiskey etiquette and knowledge. I'll start by saying that there is NO wrong way to drink whiskey! The history of whiskey in the United States has always been about friends and fellowship, you don't get friends and fellowship by judging your friends and fellows in how they drink their whiskey. ;) That said there's a level of whiskey knowledge that should be more common and a few guidelines that can help make friends among fellow whiskey drinkers!
So, what is whiskey? It is plainly a spirit distilled mostly from fermented grain. That's the only rule, grain: wheat, rye, corn etc. Vodka distilled from 51% grain is also a whiskey, but vodka distilled from 51% anything else is not. The difference between a grain vodka and whiskey is in the goal. With whiskey you want some flavor to carry over in the distillation process, with vodka you want it as pure and clear as possible. This is why clear distilled corn alcohol can be called "Whiskey" in a Moonshine bottle and "Vodka" in a Deep Eddy bottle.

So what's Scotch? Scotch is whiskey made in Scotland! What makes Scotch special is that the grains are toasted with peat. Peat (just like peat moss you buy at the home and garden store) was the primary fuel in Scotland for a long time. It was free, abundant and renewable so it's what they used for heat. The peat is what imparts that special smoky sour flavor (or horse poo to some) that sets Scotch in a class by it's own.

What so special about Irish Whiskey? Irish pride! The Irish have long loved drinking and making whiskey. Their rules closely mirror Scotlands, but rarely use peat to toast the grains, so Irish tends to be more mellow in flavor.

How about Canadian Whiskey? With rules similar to Ireland, Canada makes a lot of good, smooth whiskeys. The exception being that Canadian Whiskey is allowed to include flavors and coloring agents to improve marketability (like crushed beetles or beaver pee), yet still retain the label of "Canadian Whiskey". Scotland and Ireland only allow the whiskey, water and caramel color (specifically E151) to go in the bottle if it bares the label "Scotch Whiskey" or "Irish Whiskey".

Tell us about American Whiskey! American whiskey has the most convoluted, yet least restrictive, regulations of all the major whiskey producing countries. :ugeek: To be American Whiskey, it has to be made from 51% grain in the United States. No rules on aging (at all)or what that other 49% can be (anything!)or EVEN WHERE IT'S BOTTLED. American Whiskey is legally allowed to be garbage. I'm not calling American Honey or Red Stag garbage, but I also have a tough time calling them "whiskey". BUT there is hope! If the label says anything MORE than "American Whiskey", the rules compound exponentially!

The most "American" Whiskey is "Straight Bourbon". Straight Bourbon must be made in the US of a mash that is at least 51% corn, age for 2 years in new charred oak barrels, contain NO added colors or flavors (not even caramel color like Scotland and Ireland) and can't be mixed with any other spirit. It comes out of the barrel, is mixed with additional water to bring the % AVB down to the target, and put in a bottle. Just "bourbon" without the "straight" is barely more stringent than "whiskey". Basically, if you take any American whiskey and pour it through a barrel it qualifies as "bourbon".

Kentucky Straight Bourbon has even more rules. The main appeal of Kentucky Straight Bourbon is the water. The whole state is sitting on top of limestone that naturally filters the iron out of the water which made the water perfect for distilling spirits. Since these distilleries have been making straight bourbon for so long, they're pretty good at making really good bourbon in large quantities, so the fact that it may be cheap doesn't mean it's not good, high quality whiskey!

Other fun rules for all bourbons. If it's aged less than 4 years it has to have an age statement on the label. "Bonded" whiskey is aged in a government bonded warehouse. Where the barrels are in the stack effects the strength and flavor, as the higher they are, the less stable the temperature. "Cask Strength" means it's bottled right out of the barrel and not diluted with water. The "Angels share" is what evaporates through the barrel, the "Devils cut" is the sludge left in an emptied barrel (Jim Beam is apparently squeezing this stuff out and selling it now). American "Rye Whiskey" has the same rules as "Straight Bourbon" with the exception that it must be made from 51% rye instead of 51%corn. "Tennessee Whiskey" has the same requirements as "Straight Bourbon", with the added stipulation that it be made in Tennessee, AND no new distilleries can use the title unless they use a state mandated filtering process.

"Sour Mash", is the same as sourdough. A part of the mash from the last batch is used to start the next batch. This provides some consistency in flavor.

"Single barrel" means the whiskey in the bottle came out of a single barrel, it has nothing to do with the aging. You know what I said about the barrels position in the stack? If you want consistent flavor it makes sense to mix all the barrels in the stack together before bottling. Single barrel is less consistent, but has more character.

"Rye Whiskey" has a completely different flavor, usually described as "spicy". But don't think "peppers" spicy, more like caraway seed spicy (those tiny watermelon looking seeds in the sausage on your pizza). A lot of friends who developed a taste for rye have lost their taste for everything else, so watch your step!

"Blended" isn't a bad thing. If you have a whole batch of whiskey that tastes like charcoal, and another distillery has a whole batch that's clear as water, there's nothing wrong with mixing them to make two batches of perfectly drinkable whiskey. Many blended whiskeys are done so on purpose (like Johnnie Walker), where they constantly change the blend in order to keep the flavor as consistent as possible throughout the years (how would you like to have that job? Taste 50 year old scotch and then 3 year old scotch, blend and repeat! I'm pretty sure sipping whiskey professionally could only be done by a Scotsman!).
Three last notes on what whiskey is: How long it's aged doesn't matter so long as it tastes good, and the taste of even the most consistent brand changes over time. While the recipe may stay the same, you can't control the weather so you can't control the nutrients in the grain or the temperature of the barrels while they age. Last, price doesn't directly correlate to taste.

Now for etiquette. You can drink whiskey any way you like, just like you can take a shotgun to the grocery store or you can ride you bike center-lane during rush hour. It's not illegal and may not even be wrong, but regardless of your reasons people probably think you're a jerk.

Putting water in your whiskey only offends the ignorant. Whiskey is mixed with water before it goes in the cask, and it's mixed again before it goes in the bottle. A little bit more when it goes in the glass is purely a personal preference, you're still drinking the same amount of the same whiskey.

Don't slam shots! If you do, you're probably drinking for the wrong reasons and should take a moment to evaluate your situation. Even the smallest pour of whiskey is meant to be at least two sips. One sip adjusts your tastebuds and the second is to experience the whiskey. ;)

Mix whiskey on a case by case basis. Use YOUR whiskey in any mixer you like! If you put Pappy Van Winkle in your cocacola, good for you! You have exquisite taste and the highest standards! How you drink OTHER people's whiskey does involve some etiquette. If someone OFFERS you whiskey by name (regardless of the name), you take it how they pour it or respectfully decline before they pour it. Same thing if offered from a decanter.

Example: "Would you like some Jim Beam Rye?", "Yes! Yes I would." They hand you Jim Beam Rye warmed to 150*F in a bronzed baby shoe and you drink it like a gentleman (at least two sips!).

Example: "Would you like a whiskey n' coke?", "sure" if you want a whiskey n' coke but "Yes! But with two rocks and no coke, please!" is also acceptable. They've already offered mixed, so neat is less work for them. If the offerer then pours Old Crow from a plastic gallon jug into a proper whiskey glass with two rocks OR they pour Booker's into an oversized red Solo cup with a popsicle in it, you drink it like a gentleman (after discretely tossing the popsicle)!
(Old Crow is actually a really decent straight bourbon, a series of unfortunate events led to a decline in the price and reputation, but not the quality of the whiskey).

Example: You're at a reception after a VERY long and VERY boring full-blown Catholic wedding with all the sit-stand-kneel that entails. Coors Light, box wine, and the full gambit of Big K soda's are all the libations available. Except the super cool, good looking, FSJ driving guy in Tony Lama's seated at the same table as you offers to share some of his Wild Turkey 101. DON'T MIX IT WITH MOUNTAIN K SODA.

In closing this post I want to share a small bit of obscure American Whiskey history, the decanter.

The Foundation of this country is the honest belief that all are created equal. The first breath of our nation was to cry out that we would not be ruled by another's "right of birth". From the Emancipation Proclamation to Women's Suffrage we've sauntered on smashing social boundaries and continue to do so to this day. That's the reason for the Whiskey Decanter, a purely American device that came to rise during prohibition. Whiskey doesn't need to decant and it doesn't need to breath before being put in a glass. All a whiskey decanter does, is remove the label from the whiskey so that a rich man and a poor man could drink whiskey together.

Those of us (myself included) who believe they have a developed whiskey pallet, and have whiskey they like and whiskey they don't, have to admit that even bad whiskey tastes good in the right company. If you ever want to let someone know that you respect them, get them a whiskey decanter. If anyone ever gives you one, you know what they think of you, too. :-bd

EDIT to emphasize "Straight" bourbon over just bourbon, to include a note on rye whiskey, and to explain that etiquette applies to drinking other peoples whiskey.
Last edited by REDONE on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

ShagWagon

Re: Whiskey Guidelines

Post by ShagWagon »

Love my good bourbon!

Wild Turkey and up in quality. Straight up with a water or beer chaser. Like to mix in mouth. I use a small snifter type glass I got from buying Woodford Reserve when they offer the glasses.

Gotta come from bourbon county.

Crown royal gots one called black that's not too bad for a Canadian bourbon.

Devils cut has been out for a while and at first it was really decent, but the last year or so they've changed it up and it tastes like cheap.
Last edited by ShagWagon on Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

REDONE wrote: Putting water in your whiskey only offends the ignorant.
Yay, a useful post today... truly right... Ice cube, friends let friends drink the way they like it, and call a cab if needed for the trip back home...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

BotterbrodtGE

Post by BotterbrodtGE »

My brother talks trash on Makers Mark but, I enjoy it sparingly since Whiskey and Bourbon can make me queasy. I am honestly a Tequila guy. The Canadian Whisky was my Great Grandfather's that I recently got from my grandmother, it was already opened, I likely won't drink from it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
1990 Jeep Wagoneer, Stock Height, Badly Needing some Love

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Glenlivet, neat, PLEASE! Shared a 12yo bottle with a friend a few years back. Didn't really care for ANY whiskey, until that day. I'll pass on most whiskeys but, offer me a good one....

This one sounds like it came from the same batch, and the age adds up: https://www.theglenlivet.com/en-us/the- ... -year-old/
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

letank

Post by letank »

REDONE wrote: the Whiskey Decanter,

All a whiskey decanter does, is remove the label from the whiskey so that a rich man and a poor man could drink whiskey together.
Dang, too bad my Dad is gone, he would appreciate this level of equality... he used to pour cheap whiskey into a Chivas bottle... and offer it to the CEO of the company he worked for... and it never missed, the CEO would say.... ah.... the Chivas is so good. The CEO is gone too... so nobody is offended, may be there are having Chivas somewhere...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

A funny little story about those bourbons that cost hundreds (or even 1000s) of dollars, most are literally forgotten garbage!

Back in the 70s and 80s, interest in bourbon whiskey fell straight through the floor! Dozens of distilleries went bankrupt and all that whiskey they had aging in barrels just sat there, seized by the courts and held in escrow! You see, the warehouses were "bonded" by the gubmint, so the whiskey couldn't be moved! Distributors couldn't BUY the whiskey because they can only buy from licensed distillers. The only entity that could legally BUY all that bonded whiskey were licensed whiskey distillers and they were all broke, so there it sat for decades.

The moral of the story; if you see bourbon from the 80s (Aged 25 years, blah blah blah), know that the TRUTH is it was so bad the company that made it folded, so it sat in an unpowered, unattended warehouse until another distiller could buy it for pennies on the dollar. It's age may make it special, but it was supposed to be bad cheap whiskey from the get go. Not the story of love and care the fancy new label tells you. ;)
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

ShagWagon wrote:Love my good bourbon!

Wild Turkey and up in quality. Straight up with a water or beer chaser. Like to mix in mouth. I use a small snifter type glass I got from buying Woodford Reserve when they offer the glasses.

Gotta come from bourbon county.
A man's gotta have standards! :-bd

Since you're shipping your engine to WA, see if you can talk them into sending it back with a bottle of Woodinville Whiskey Bourbon. Compared to Wild Turkey, it's lighter on the front end, but just as mean on the finish. :D (obviously not from Bourbon County, though).

A bit on the glass, whiskey purists will take offense to a snifter. A snifter is designed so that your hand warms your drink and the aroma is concentrated as the top of the glass tapers in. Snifters are used to drink brandy because the sweet smell is necessary for flavor, since brandy itself tastes like rotten mango chutney in a greasy dumpster fire. That said, I believe a read somewhere that George S. Patton took his scotch in a snifter, so keep on doing it. :-bd
BotterbrodtGE wrote:My brother talks trash on Makers Mark but, I enjoy it sparingly...
Those with just enough whiskey knowledge to be dangerous think that since MM is made by the same distillery that makes Jim Beam, it's just an over priced version of the same stuff. They're wrong. I actually went to a class on this for my dad's birthday. :D Jim Beam and Old Crow are the same whiskey casked at the same strength, but OC is aged 3yrs vs 4yrs for Beam proper. Makers Mark is a completely different mash with different proportions of rye, wheat and corn, casked at a different proof and aged for almost 6 years. MM is one of those I have to be careful because it's way to easy to have more than I intend.

Tequila is one of those flavors for me that is as dependent on atmosphere as anything else, I can only drink it neat if I'm surrounded by sombreros or sugar skulls. :mrgreen:

letank wrote:. so nobody is offended, may be there are having Chivas somewhere...
Or the good cheap stuff in a Chivas bottle. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Gotcha! That's a glencairn! It's funny they put that glass with the whiskey because it was designed for master distillers to test their whiskey, not for drinkers to drink their whiskey. :-bd

They use a glass tube called a "thief" and stick it into a barrel of whiskey, then they put their finger over the top of the tube so the whiskey stays in the tube. The tube holds about 1.6oz (standard "shot" size) that they put in that glass. They hold it by that knob on the bottom so they can see the color and clarity of the whiskey in the tulip, and it tapers to the top for the same reason as a snifter, to concentrate the aroma. the 1.6oz it the right amount for two sips, one to set your mouth and one to taste the whiskey. That's a very classy way to enjoy it! :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

A few things to add.

In this day and age of "Cask Strength" offerings it is becoming more common and less of a Faux Pas to add some water to your neat whiskey. When conducting tastings and not just drinking for casual enjoyment and relaxation it is often a really good idea to add a few drops of water. When we are tasting or evaluating whiskeys we keep a eye dropper vial of water at the table. If you do this don't use tap water, use spring water or at least filtered water. The water the whiskey was made and blended/bottled with is best but you probably can't get that if you are hundreds of miles from the source.

Expensive whiskeys are not necessarily better whiskeys. There is a ton of over hyped mediocre whiskey and bourbon out there. There are also a ton of reasonably mid priced offerings out in the market that will surprise even the most discriminating drinker.

Especially in today's Bourbon world there is a ton more creative marketing and "story" then actual history or heritage. To this end you should learn where the product on the shelf really comes from. Many small to medium sized craft distilleries and even some big names that have launched other brands are not actually distilling or in some cases aging their own products. When you see that a product is distilled in Indiana it is most likely a product of the large industrial distilling plant owned by MPG in Lawrencburg, IN. This MPG "juice" is sold to these craft distilleries or brands who bottle, brand, and market it as their own. To be clear this is not always a bad thing. MPG cranks out massive amounts of all manner of distilled product. They know what the heck they are doing and can make a quality product. It is simply something to be aware of when selecting something off the shelf in your local store. Don't buy straight into the craft or micro distillery hype until you know where they are getting their distilled spirit.

Go out and buy one or two offerings of mid range products. Get a wheat whiskey, a nice rye whiskey, and a corn based whiskey. They all have a unique character so you can determine if you are a fan of rye whiskeys or if you will join the ranks of the "Wheaters". I enjoy Bernheim Wheat and it is a reasonably priced wheat whiskey. If you can find it Pikesville Rye is a high quality 110 proof 6 year rye that is very enjoyable. Angel's Envy rye is pretty well distributed in the market and is priced in the mid range of good whiskeys. It is certainly not my go-to rye but it is often easy to find for a novice buyer.

If you want to begin trying some Scotch whiskeys try to find a Speyside region product, an Islay region product, and a Highlands product. There are other regions but these three are predominate in the market. I am a fan of Speyside region offerings but tend to steer away from Islay products with their more heavily peated offerings. Aberlour A'bunadh is one of my favorite Speyside region products. Highland Park Dark Origins and Highland Park 18 are pretty phenomenal but do have a bit of a steep price for a first time buyer.

If you are a public radio and podcast sort of person go look up "Sips, Suds, and Smokes" on a pod catcher or PRX. If you listen to enough episodes you will probably hear [sarcasm]my smooth mellow voice[/sarcasm] coming through your speakers. I am an occasional guest host on the show. There are some very knowledgeable folks putting episodes out with the group and they give tasting notes and information on a huge variety of products.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

By the way I am not far from Jack Daniel's Distillery, George Dickel, Short Mountain Distillery, and Pritchards Distillery. I have been to several of them.
When I travel back from the corporate offices in Cincinnati I frequently make a side stop in Kentucky at a distillery. I stopped in Louisville the weekend before last and visited Angel's Envy and the Jim Beam Experience location downtown on whiskey row. Angel's Envy was a bit of a bust but I got to try some Jim Beam 23 year old in a tasting flight there which was pretty darn nice.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Great info Jason!

I really wanted to expand on "cost doesn't equal quality", but felt I was too wordy already. I'm pretty sure TIncup whiskey comes from MPG and is diluted and bottled here in CO, but it's the "good, cheap" whiskey I keep on hand for surprise occasions.

That Peach Street Straight Bourbon in my 3rd photo above was distilled, cask aged, and bottled on site in Palisade, CO. It's $80 bottle, even when you get it straight from the distillery. I enjoyed every sip of it but mainly because I drove all the way to Palisade to get it. It's good, but it's not $80 remarkable (just checked and the price dropped to $65). Actually seeing this hand full of dudes in a desert oasis town hustling through the distillery wearing goofy beard-nets to make spirits from scratch is what made it remarkable.

The truth is that all through Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana, there's dudes doing the exact same thing, only there's more of them and they're making more spirits and they have more experience. They're using the same equipment only bigger, the same barrels only more of them. Even cheap "Straight Bourbon" is still made from the same ingredients, aged at least 2 years, and bottled with nothing but whiskey and water at at least 80 proof. The quality isn't in the price tag, it's in how much you like drinking it.

I tasted 10yr old Bookers at that class I took with my dad. It's $800 a bottle, and here's the story. Grandpa Booker died in 2004 and Beam bought the distillery and name and such. There were a bunch of barrels that were filled and set to age in 2003 that were left in an outbuilding that weren't discovered until 2014. They sat there in a dusty moldy shed twice as long as they were supposed to sit in a proper warehouse and THAT is what makes it worth $800 a bottle (to people with an extra $800 laying around for whiskey). It literally tastes like the air smells in a dusty, moldy, overgrown Kentucky shed.

The story isn't a story of quality and craftsmanship, it's a story of circumstance and happenstance. Without the story, it's just really weird tasting bourbon.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

By the way, that taste of $800 a bottle whiskey was included in the class! I did not pay for a shot of dirt-shed whiskey. Anyone in the Denver area interested in that sort of thing, it was at "Schoolhouse Kitchen and Libations" in Arvada. They do one or two classes of different sorts each month (Because it really was a school before it was a whiskey bar), where they bring in experts to teach. The guy that came for the Bourbon class was from Beam-Suntory, but spoke very highly of all the offerings from the competing distilleries.

He explained that brand loyalty isn't a driver in Bourbon marketing so they all get along really well. Nearly half of whiskey drinkers value variety as the spice of life, nearly another half doesn't care so long as they get drunk. Only a narrow band of "cowboys and bikers" in the middle pick one and stick with it until they die. :P

Check out this whiskey list!
http://www.schoolhousearvada.com/libations.php

Oh CRAP! I just went looking on their site to see when the next class they're having is, and turns out the place caught fire! :(
Grizzly Locker Rear

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

Right now my cabinet includes:

The Bernheim Wheat Whiskey I previously mentioned (usually keep a bottle in rotation)
Weller Special Reserve
Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond
Angel's Envy Port Barrel Finished Kentucky Straight Whiskey
Eagle Rare 10 Year Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
Four Roses Single Barrel
Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select (kept on hand for a Jack loving friend of mine)
Filibuster Dual Cask Straight Bourbon Whiskey (an MPG "juice" product)
Maker’s Mark (a bottle from the 1970's I got from a deceased relatives collection)
Pikesville Rye Whiskey
Bulleit rye

Aberlour A'bunadh (a favorite of mine)
Aberlour 12 year Scotch Sherry Cask Finish
Glenlivet 12 Scotch Whisky (another bottle from the 1970's that I got from that same collection)
Chivas Regal 18 (a gift from my father)

Many of the above are at or under $50 a bottle, almost all are at least under $100 a bottle.
I am also a sucker for Anejo' Tequilas and aged dark rum but I won't get into those bottles.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

That is one slick selection Jason! All I have is some Redbreast 12yr (for the holiday) and my "special blend" in the decanter.

Some of the faux pas I've had lately that lead to starting this thread:

I invited a new neighbor over to get to know each other and offered him JB Rye and he accepted. I didn't serve it hot in a bronze baby shoe, just one finger neat in a short glass and offered ice. Instead of ice, this dork asks if I have raisins. I didn't but I had craisins and put some in a bowl for him. This dork put craisins in the whiskey and didn't even finish it. I don't know what planet he's from, but on planet America, that's not OK.

I was the cool guy in the wedding example above too. Two non-drinkers have a catholic wedding, so I thought ahead and brought the little flask of WT101. The guy I'm sitting next to is my cousin-in-law's boyfriend and he's from Kentucky, so OF COURSE I share with him! He's a good guy, takes it neat, and we chat it up and hit it off. This other random dude at the table that I think is one of the grooms coworkers or something leans over with a cup full of fake mountain dew and says "Hey man, can I get some of that in here?". Some people.
Grizzly Locker Rear

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

It pales in comparison to some of my friends cabinets but it all drinks just fine.

Some of it I drink neat with the occasional drop or three of water but I also use those big sphere ice cube contraptions that makes the slow melting spheres of ice that barely fit in my glasses.

I just turned in my notice last week. For that last several years my whiskey consumption went way up as I had one of the worst bosses and most stressful positions I have ever had. Hopefully the new position I start next week will leave me less wound up and stressed at the end of the day. I will still enjoy a dram after work but now it will be just that, enjoyment.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

Good thing I can't stand the taste of any hard liquor. (It all tastes like crap)

I have none of these problems.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

MidTNJasonF wrote:It pales in comparison to some of my friends cabinets but it all drinks just fine.

Some of it I drink neat with the occasional drop or three of water but I also use those big sphere ice cube contraptions that makes the slow melting spheres of ice that barely fit in my glasses.

I just turned in my notice last week. For that last several years my whiskey consumption went way up as I had one of the worst bosses and most stressful positions I have ever had. Hopefully the new position I start next week will leave me less wound up and stressed at the end of the day. I will still enjoy a dram after work but now it will be just that, enjoyment.
Congrats man! Here's to better days ahead, Cheers!

I can have some Redbreast now instead of waiting until 5, because it's Ireland somewhere! :-bd
Also that's a normal shot glass, my hands are just really really tiny.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

csuengr wrote:Good thing I can't stand the taste of any hard liquor. (It all tastes like crap)

I have none of these problems.
I just read your new thread, I'll take my problems over yours. :mrgreen:
Grizzly Locker Rear