I Have No Idea What I'm Doing - 1973 Honda XL175

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

I Have No Idea What I'm Doing - 1973 Honda XL175

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I figure some of you all might like following along with this.

I need another old thing with an engine like I need a hole in my head. I'm sure you all have seen my sentiments in the "im tired thread......maybe switching gears to this for a minute will be helpful.

I seriously have no idea what I'm doing. I have never ridden a motorcycle or dirtbike. I do, however, know that I like taking old junk, making it into not junk, and then either keeping and using or selling said not junk. Currently I have about 1.75 Honda XL175's. One is a 1973, the other is a 1974.

There's some story behind how I got these. A fellow on a Local forum had the complete one for sale. He never answered my question of whether or not the engine was seized. I ended up driving an hour to his place, discovering it was seized, and then having him refuse to budge on the price. I left empty handed. A few weeks later my buddy (a member here) pulled into my driveway with a present for me. While picking up an FSJ, he noticed an old incomplte orange dirtbike in the guys yard. Turns out the guy just wanted it gone, and gave it, along with a title, to my pal. He brought it over and dropped it off. A week or two after that, I reached out to the original seller to see if he still had the complete bike. He had just sold it the week before. Well, crap. I reached out to the guy that bought it to offer him the mess of parts/title that I have, and he told me he could be talked out of the complete bike, because the seller did not tell him it was seized, and dropped it off and left before he could even check it. I gave him $150, and took it home. So, at this point, I have somewhere around 1 2/3rds Honda XL175's.

Here's the "good" one. Its pretty much all there except turn signals and mirrors. a little bit of funky wiring. Odometer reads 1900 miles. Only major issue I've seen is the typical rusted out muffler to header joint, and the engine is seized, obviously. The kick starter shaft is NOT broken.

Here is is with the junky one that has a title. Missing the seat, the controls, mirrors, exhaust,chain, side panels, a bunch of other stuff, tank is dented, blah blah blah. I haven't tested the engine because the kick starter shaft IS broken on this one,, but supposedly it had low compression when parked, and had already been honed and had oversized rings. Has over 9000 miles on the odometer.

My plan here is to try and get the good one up and running in mostly complete form, for as little cost as possible. LEt me reiterate. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING HERE!

So, what better way to figure it all out than to just dive in? I was bored on sunday. I rolled it under my little covered work area, and got to turnin' some wrenches. This all seems pretty easy . I say that because I went outside and an hour later I had the engine sitting on my bench and I'm pretty positive I didnt break anything.

I must say, aisde from all the grease and leaked fuel and whatnot, this thing is clean. The tank has typical rust inside, but no corrosion anywhere on the chrome or frame or anything. The bolts all came right off using hand tools, no rust or anything.

So, here's where we are at currently.

I'll keep this updated as we go along and will post more as I make progress. Any help or suggestions are appreciated, as I really don't know what im doing lol.
Last edited by Dr. Marneaus on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

letank

Re: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing - 1973 Honda XL175

Post by letank »

my.... diversifying your spending spree!
I have a bunch of old bikes... seized is tricky, it can be a busted valve as well...

a bit busy today, but check these forums -check activity postings, some of these are less active as the bikes have faded from use

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/47-vintage/

ttps://4strokes.com/viewforum.php?f=127&sid=a8e176a265e98e6c1bd7409722a2ef80

and parts for honda, so you can check parts avail. Honda is pretty good, and when parts are non avail, they sometime cross over to other models, my 1983 XR350 (only 3 years of production) can use parts from the 650 and front calipers are now from 2002 CRX

you need to figure out how many years did the bike was manufactured, is too few, parts will be expensive or unobtainum

http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm

as for riding bikes, you need to have eyes on all four corners, too many people texting.

the 175 is a bit low on power, but a good beginner, because of low weight;

Make sure that gas tank is not leaky, as well as drain carburetor and open bowl to see if gunk is not inside, the jap bikes use weird phillips screwdriver , it is called JIS, so people blame overtightening, but it is the geometry of the phillips screws

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ewdrivers/

and they work really well, another type of tool needed
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Cool choice of alternative therapy Doc!!
I would think you'd get the most out of restoring it. Maybe if it goes easy and you find it's cheaper (hahaha, probably not!) than Jeep's, you can build another from what's left. Turn the leftovers into something cool like this:

Or try your hand at creativity and build something that would fit on set with the walking dead:
ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

letank wrote:my.... diversifying your spending spree!
I have a bunch of old bikes... seized is tricky, it can be a busted valve as well...

a bit busy today, but check these forums -check activity postings, some of these are less active as the bikes have faded from use

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/47-vintage/

ttps://4strokes.com/viewforum.php?f=127&sid=a8e176a265e98e6c1bd7409722a2ef80

and parts for honda, so you can check parts avail. Honda is pretty good, and when parts are non avail, they sometime cross over to other models, my 1983 XR350 (only 3 years of production) can use parts from the 650 and front calipers are now from 2002 CRX

you need to figure out how many years did the bike was manufactured, is too few, parts will be expensive or unobtainum

http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm

as for riding bikes, you need to have eyes on all four corners, too many people texting.

the 175 is a bit low on power, but a good beginner, because of low weight;

Make sure that gas tank is not leaky, as well as drain carburetor and open bowl to see if gunk is not inside, the jap bikes use weird phillips screwdriver , it is called JIS, so people blame overtightening, but it is the geometry of the phillips screws

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... ewdrivers/

and they work really well, another type of tool needed
From my basic research parts are out there, many used some new, plenty of crossover, the XL175's were made for several years. 175 is indeed little, but i dont know how to ride so whatever. You've seen where I live, i can exit from my driveway and be on federal land in 15 seconds. That was my main interest in this.

I'm missing the title for the good one, so we will see how that goes, but no biggie, i know some folks who can maybe help secure a new one. Or i can swap frames.
Last edited by Dr. Marneaus on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Cool choice of alternative therapy Doc!!

right? You can never have too many irons in the fire...

letank

Post by letank »

see you on the trail, top of the world in Moab

Michel

tedlovesjeeps71

Dr. Marneaus wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Cool choice of alternative therapy Doc!!

right? You can never have too many irons in the fire...
Whoever made up that adage never owned jeeps. Haha!
I've got enough projects and stuff needing doin' (not even counting the "honey do" list) that I'd need to live 300 more years to make a dent! Image

Curly

Post by Curly »

I used to own an 73 Honda CL175, same thing as your XL, except mine was supposed to be street/offroad. Fun little bike. My engine eventually seized, turned out the camshaft journal in the cylinder head had failed and allowed the cam to go crooked. Once I pulled the head, the engine turned fine. I found the problem when I noticed a gray sludge coming from behind the points plate. Pulled the plate off and found the problem. Something to check.

Curly
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well, i ended up getting the engine partially freed....then I promptly snapped off the crank bolt. Then i tried to drill it out, it was going well, but then i snapped a drill bit. The original engine is now dead as a door nail. It'll be stripped for parts after I cut the timing chain off. womp womp.

So, I snagged that engine in vegas for $125 when I was down there most recently. Looks like its got a decent number of miles but appears maintained, and it kicks easily. I'm weary of the kick shaft because I cannot get the kick lever off, but hey, its on there and it kicks so its good enough for now.

I got the engine back into the bike, and tested compression. It kicks to 145 and I'm told thats fine. No idea what it should go to, but supposedly that'll do.

Now, i have the original carb all broken down soaking in MMO because it was nasty. The 2nd engine came with a carb, but it appears to be an after market mikuni with a cable choke. I'm going to attempt to clean up the original one first. Once I have the carb cleaned and assembled, I will wire everything up, get a battery (these wont run without a charged batt) and see if I can get it started. From that point, I'll finish out by cleaning the gas tank (vinegar and a galvanized chain), and start about the full reassembly and touch up some of the wiring.

so....progress. It has a presumably workable engine now at least, and is going back together rather than coming apart.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I had a 73 XL 175 just like that and mine too seized the camshaft. Fun little scooters for dinking around on logging roads n trails up in the Sierra.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

letank

Post by letank »

Dr. Marneaus wrote: get a battery (these wont run without a charged batt) and see if I can get it started.
I believe it is 6v, so you can run one of those power pack for remote control cars ... , or put a bunch of 1.5volt battery in series. My XR350 is wired like that initially with a bunch of 1.5v battery jerry rig to achieve 6+ volt, then I got the larger power pack -it is 7volt plus- Or best a capacitor, called a battery eliminator... forgot the specs at the moment, my DR350 is running a battery eliminator.
Michel

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

So askf right. Now I have 3 engines. One hasthe snapped crank bolt that can probably be removed if I disassemble the engine but that engine has everything else with low low miles and it has a good kick start shaft which is worth $200 alone.

The current engine is definitely more used (lots of worn finish from boots rubbing on it) but seems good. I cannot remove the kick lever and the splines on the shaft are mashed looking so something is fishy but hey it's stuck on there and it kicks so I can't complain.

The third engine is complete and kicks but the kick shaftis snapped where they commonly snap and supposedly it has low compression but I haven't checked because who cares. Lol.

I have two frames and one title. The titled frame is kinda ugly and would need a full refinish. Not sure how I intend to approach that.

I have two gauge clusters and headlights.

Mostly 2 wiring harnesses.

Two sets of fenders.

One set of front turn signals.

Two brake lights two sets of wheels two forks two gas tanks one is dented the other is good.

Blah blah blah. We'll see how things go

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Those kick starter shafts tended to twist over time and can be a real PITA to remove. What I've done in the past is use a 3-jaw puller and wrestle the kick lever off the shaft so I could get into that side of the engine.
Often, this tends to straighten the splines somewhat, but upon re-install, drilling through the kick and the shaft and inserting a hardened roll-pin is the key to it lasting.
Frames are really a no-brainer; Scrub with a good detergent and hit it with several coats of gloss black enamel and call it good. Be sure to kill/convert any rust...even in Nevada.
The 73/74s had points ignition so be prepared to replace those and possibly the lighting coil since it's so old.
Another issue are the forks and rear shocks. After all this time their seals, as well as those on the engine, are likely leakers...do what ya gotta do unless you like a sore butt and back while refilling the crankcase. :P

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

As an aside:
Back in the day I was totally in love with Maico dirtbikes. They were fecking awesome but parts were rare.
When my kick-starter shaft seal began leaking I was at a loss for a replacement. I ended up using a YZ400 seal and turned down the sealing surface on the shaft with a lathe. Ingenuity is key.

Good luck with your old scooter adventure.

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Wanna come help?

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That Sounds like a cool idea. I could use a day away from Smogtown®. How's about Saturday or Sunday?

letank

Post by letank »

Tatsadasayago wrote:That Sounds like a cool idea. I could use a day away from Smogtown®. How's about Saturday or Sunday?
Smogtown, it looks bad

https://www.arb.ca.gov/aqmis2/ozone_ytd.php

Any updates on the project?
Michel

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Yeah we demand updates!

Your two wheeled foray has inspired me to purchase my first death machine. I wanted to buy something cheap off Craigslist but lately everything off-road friendly with a clean title has been overpriced. I also decided that for my own sanity I should get something new, so instead of sitting around feeling overwhelmed by my broken piles of junk I can actually ride the thing. That meant all I could really afford was a Coleman minibike. So, thanks to you people, I am now the proud owner of 196cc's of Chinese fury called a ct200u. I've already crashed twice.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

tedlovesjeeps71

^^ hahaha^^ did you at least by the big, sparkly bubble helmet with the yellow tinted visor from the 70s?

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:^^ hahaha^^ did you at least by the big, sparkly bubble helmet with the yellow tinted visor from the 70s?

Not yet, I'm thinking gold flake with a mirrored visor. Found one with a few bad reviews which state it is unnecessarily bulky and make your head look huge. That should only add to the hilarity.

For now I have borrowed my sister's pink bicycle helmet. :mrgreen:
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.