Looking for advice on a cheap Tourqe cam for a 360.

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Looking for advice on a cheap Tourqe cam for a 360.

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey guys I'm helping Wyatt rebuild his 360 now too after we discovered it's burning alarming amounts of oil, the exhaust valves are coated despite a pretty long run before pulling the motor.

His 91 has 2.73 gears and he has no desire to change that or run larger tires. I've given him my 1970 360 4 barrel non EGR intake to run with an Edelbrock 600 CFM until he can save up for a better carb. Ideally a street demon, for the itty bitty primary bores. We'll touch up the heads to smooth the transitions a little but otherwise, the motor will be stock with no emmisions requirements.

What would your choice be for a tourqe focused low revving cam for his motor be? He has a budget of around $200 for cam and lifters.

My first choice would be a summit k8600, but I think that's more overlap than he needs. He puts it in drive and let's the transmission shift at the governor. I've never seen him go higher.

I'm thinking this Howard's with less overlap may be better: https://m.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-cl312481-11

What would you guys choose?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

AwesomeJ10

Re: Looking for advice on a cheap Tourqe cam for a 360.

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

I have the 8600 in the honcho and as you know, it grunts right along.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Blake wrote:I have the 8600 in the honcho and as you know, it grunts right along.
Yeah, but you redline it too! :-bd The honcho 360 is what led me to order an 8600 for mine.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I just replaced my Edelbrock with a Street Demon carb and Minimite Holley fuel pump. The Edelbrock was 10+ years old and had several rebuilds on it and the Accel' pump failed on it again. So, I bit the bullet and bought the SD. With the fuel pump and new carb I get immendiate starts and good performance. Im not sure about any milage gains and really dont care 8-)

Elkman06

Post by Elkman06 »

Melling MTA-1. Found on eBay
Elkman06

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Well I figured I post a followup on my Street Demon. I was noticing a bad bog or stumbling at WOT. So, I went through all the setup procedures etc and couldnt elliminate it. It seemed to be only related to the Secondaries but I played with different metering rod springs anyways. Well, long story made short--it was the top plate gasket and one of the floats. Both sides of the gasket were pushed in and not sealing. So, I used a little bit of super glue to hold the gasket in place for re-assembly [IDK, maybe they were sucked in by vacuum or contraction during cooling]. The floats are to be set at 1.01" but one was at .7". I could see having one issue with a new carb but not two. I would hope that Holley has better QC than that-- but?? Now it runns great with no hesitation and I can bark the 35x12.5 tires at any traffic light.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I believe a bot found its way in.....
Edit: you can delete this post now ;)
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD