Coming Back to FSJs

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Jagged

Coming Back to FSJs

Post by Jagged »

Long time no type.

So after almost four years of not having an FSJ I'm about six months out from starting my search again.

My family and I have moved from Washington to Wisconsin, back again, bought a house, a couple of new vehicles I shouldn't have, and got into massive debt. So now that the crap is coming to bite us in the ass, I've decided to kind of get back to basics. We've decided (read: forced, but even if not I hope we've learned our lesson. I'm getting too old for this BEEP) to give up using credit that doesn't involve property. We have two kids, a third on the way, and I told my wife that the only vehicle that makes sense to me is to get back into another Wagoneer. :fsj: Preferably one the dog doesn't crap all over the seat in this time, though... :banghead:

So, uh, hi again everyone. :) 8-)
1982 Jeep CJ-7, 4" lift, 35"s, Rust, AMC 401, T-18, D300 Twin-stick
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 6" Lift, 33"s, 4.0 I6, AW4, NP231
1979 Jeep Cherokee, 4-speed, 360

will e

Re: Coming Back to FSJs

Post by will e »

Welcome back! We learned the same lesson right after getting married. We had a new car payment, a new mortage, credit card debt etc.
We did keep it to just one new car (which eventually burned up), I drove an old mustang. We bought another new car 16 years ago and still have it. A few years back I picked up 2007 used Ford as a daily driver (paid cash). So now we are back down to just the mortage payment. You'll be happy when you get back out of debt.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Thanks for the welcome back. :D

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Welcome back, indeed, though, i dont know if you should be back.....

Sucks to learn that lesson the hard way, I got lucky and was introduced to a book that changed my financial life before I got into any real trouble, and have been going strong with that for several years now.

But, honestly, you really feel that the best vehicle and the only one that makes sense to get into is a minimum 26 year old, carbureted, maintenance intensive, mega inefficient, failure prone jeep, that doesn't have airbags and may not have shoulder belts or head rests depending on year, for a family with a few young kinds and a baby on the way? If you honestly feel that way then I guess you're gonna do what you're gonna do, but these things don't really strike me as ideal family safe daily drivers lol.

Anyway, if you truly do come back to the madness, welcome.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Dr. Marneaus wrote:Welcome back, indeed, though, i dont know if you should be back.....

Sucks to learn that lesson the hard way, I got lucky and was introduced to a book that changed my financial life before I got into any real trouble, and have been going strong with that for several years now.

But, honestly, you really feel that the best vehicle and the only one that makes sense to get into is a minimum 26 year old, carbureted, maintenance intensive, mega inefficient, failure prone jeep, that doesn't have airbags and may not have shoulder belts or head rests depending on year, for a family with a few young kinds and a baby on the way? If you honestly feel that way then I guess you're gonna do what you're gonna do, but these things don't really strike me as ideal family safe daily drivers lol.

Doc, I wish you stop white washing and sugar coating the trials and tribulations of owning one of these stellar examples of American manufacturing. :fsj:
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

az chip wrote:
Dr. Marneaus wrote:Welcome back, indeed, though, i dont know if you should be back.....

Lol!!!!

Should o tell you all how i REALLY feel? Haha

Doc, I wish you stop white washing and sugar coating the trials and tribulations of owning one of these stellar examples of American manufacturing. :fsj:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Topic author
Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Wow. Six months turned into... ~2 years. Supposed to be heading to Idaho this upcoming weekend to look at a couple of potential candidates. They have to be driving projects that I intend to modernize over the next several years.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I didnt get credit until i was 25 I told myself... no credit. no credit dont get into debt like my mom did when i was a kid.... My mom added me on her 10k$ card just to build my credit at least and it worked my credit score was like 770.. I then took myself off and i got my forst credit card after asking my then at the time gf if i should.

Little did i know she was a gold digger and that 7000$ card got racked up fairly quickly... I was stupid though i managed to get another 5k$ in credit cards... and spent alot of it on myself after i broke up with her... Vasically after i broke with her i told myself that in going to focus on things for myself... which i did..

I bought my wagoneer with cash, got alot of nice things... and before i knew it im 12k into debt.. And i have been able to keep the payments on time... But this month i cant... I cant even afford food right now. let alone the min payments..

I really dont want to miss the payment on 4 credit cards on the 6th and 12th next month... but i might have too... It sucks and feels like the end of the world... You call the banks and ask for a month or two of deffered payments due to being under employed and they wont work with you one bit...

Lesson learned... Im never getting credit cards ever again.. This year i plan to advertize like crazy and take any job i can get for my landscaping business and work on paying off the smaller high interest cards first... Never again..

At least i never bought a new car and got 30-40k$ into debt from car payments. I could have done it too glad i didnt...

I just dunno how im going to get 300$ in the next 7-12 days with no work... I have alot of fsj parts to sell but no one will buy em lol..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Post by letank »

candymancan wrote: Little did i know she was a gold digger and that 7000$ card got racked up fairly quickly... I was stupid though i managed to get another 5k$ in credit cards... and spent alot of it on myself after i broke up with her... Vasically after i broke with her i told myself that in going to focus on things for myself... which i did..
Getting rid or paying less interest on Credit Card debt, check consumer credit counseling services or CCCS, a way to refinance your credit card debt
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

We got ourselves into a lot of CC debt after getting married. We even would use the 'checks' in the offers to pay or transfer from one card to the next. Finally dug ourselves out of it and now pay the one card off every month. Keep on it and you will get yourself out of CC debt. Good luck!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jagged

Post by Jagged »

We got ourselves into debt by a couple of ways. Car payments + shelling out and using CCs to fund a business venture in tropical fish that somewhat fizzled and then I lost my day job so by the time I righted the ship it was a little bit too late.

Topic author
Jagged

Post by Jagged »

Being a raging narcissist, I didn't see this until now. :D

Yeah, my wife still has her Subaru so we're not "relying" on the FSJ idea. I want to turn it into an overland rig. I love the idea of modernizing the drive train and some other components and then using it to get out in the back country.