Towing and Recoveries in the Bakken OilPatch

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Towing and Recoveries in the Bakken OilPatch

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Some photos of me playing tow truck operator up here in the Bakken Oilpatch.

This guy was blasting down the highway at 70Mph on frozen rain when it got away from him.
He said he spun at least eight times before coming to rest on the concrete culvert. Could have been really bad if the pickup was sideways when it hit the bottom...

I drove my flatbed down the embankment and banzai'd around the muddy field until I found a spot to winch from. The pickup came out fairly easily and I drove it back up the the highway. A bumper, brackets, headlamp assy and some clean underwear and the driver will be good to go!

A father and daughter house mover team got a bit stuck in a field.
Apparently another team had driven into this field the day before and dropped their trailers without incident. Of course, the ground was frozen, but the next day when these two arrived it had thawed. OOPS!
The axles of the trailers were in the mud and the resistance was so great, I had to double up my 50k winch line with a block to pull them out.

Yet another travel trailer move. I do at least one of these a day. People are willing to pay 285.00 an hour for me to do a job a 1-ton can do easily, but hey, it's income.

This one was a crude hauler who got buried in the mud at the entrance to the collection facility.
Took an hour to get there, 10 minutes to hook and winch and and hour drive back. I hated to charge the guy 530.00 but that's the way it is.
Ahhh and lastly the Propane tanker with a blown turbo.
He forgot to mention he was fully loaded...a minor detail.
His GVW was 104,000 pounds. My wrecker tips the scales at just under 50,000.
I had to tow the TnT to the 'Nearest Safe Haven' which is usually a scale, repair facility or any safe place to park.
Being out in the empty prairie on a twisty, hilly two-lane county road--I had to take the whole train to Stanley 35 miles away.
Of course it was dark, freezing rain, freezing fog and 40Mph + winds when I got rolling.
This one gave true meaning to the term 'Pucker Factor 10'!
Last edited by Tatsadasayago on Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Re: Towing and Recoveries in the Bakken OilPatch

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Friday afternoon I got a call to lift a trailer.
When I arrived I learned the trailer was a 14,000 Lb rated with about 18,000 on it and missing both right side wheels.

Note the missing wheel studs?
The rear wheel came off 5-6 miles before the driver noticed a wobble. He just got to the edge of the road when the other wheel came off. I was surprise the trailer didn't roll over with that generator set and two full fuel tanks loaded on it.

Towing this load with a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup...crazy!

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Wow!
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

That last one is crazy. I remember (buying a camper), the dealer had no problem trying to upsell me a trailer. I knew I little 1500 would not do it safely but I see guys with 3/4 tons way out of their leagues. Thanks for being out there doing what you do man.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Gumby you should get his number in case your ever out that way! :P
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

letank

Post by letank »

Missing wheel studs! sheered off? or jettisoned...
Thank you for posting...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Late model 2500's will tow 19000 lbs. So it could still be within the limit of that truck depending on year. The F350 and Ram 3500 will tow nearly 30k pounds.

Cool photos, and amazing tow rig!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

letank wrote:Missing wheel studs! sheered off? or jettisoned...
Thank you for posting...
From what the very shaken driver said, and from the burned off paint and rounded out stud holes on the wheels, I would say the lug nuts began loosening. Once the wheels began to wobble, snap snap snap in rapid succession.

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Stuka wrote:Late model 2500's will tow 19000 lbs. So it could still be within the limit of that truck depending on year. The F350 and Ram 3500 will tow nearly 30k pounds.

Thanks! I call it 'Sgt. Hulka' in reference to the scene in the movie Stripes, where Bill Murray refers to Hulka as "Our Big Toe". :P

While many modern pickups can tow amazingly heavy loads, they are limited to certain tongue or hitch weight. Most pickups are limited to 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer and load. The exception being load leveling hitches and fifth wheel/Goosenecks.
Often 1400 Lbs is enough to create safety, driveability and control issues.
If you look at the second photo, you can see how the Chevy was squatting badly with the load. All I did was rig the trailer evenly and picked the right side while just maintaining tension on the other.
I told the driver I could easily understand how he might not have noticed the first wheel coming off and it was likely just one more raucous bump/bang among thousands created when traveling that terrible highway. I almost went into the opposite ditch in the heavy getting there...the ruts will throw my 50,000 Lb wrecker completely into the oncoming lane if I allow the tires to get up on the crests.
He was a very brave/dumb driver to tackle that stretch of road with that load and dang fortunate that this didn't cost him more than a pair of brake drums and wheels n tires.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tatsadasayago wrote:
Stuka wrote:Late model 2500's will tow 19000 lbs. So it could still be within the limit of that truck depending on year. The F350 and Ram 3500 will tow nearly 30k pounds.

Thanks! I call it 'Sgt. Hulka' in reference to the scene in the movie Stripes, where Bill Murray refers to Hulka as "Our Big Toe". :P

While many modern pickups can tow amazingly heavy loads, they are limited to certain tongue or hitch weight. Most pickups are limited to 10-15% of the total weight of the trailer and load. The exception being load leveling hitches and fifth wheel/Goosenecks.
Often 1400 Lbs is enough to create safety, driveability and control issues.
If you look at the second photo, you can see how the Chevy was squatting badly with the load. All I did was rig the trailer evenly and picked the right side while just maintaining tension on the other.
I told the driver I could easily understand how he might not have noticed the first wheel coming off and it was likely just one more raucous bump/bang among thousands created when traveling that terrible highway. I almost went into the opposite ditch in the heavy getting there...the ruts will throw my 50,000 Lb wrecker completely into the oncoming lane if I allow the tires to get up on the crests.
He was a very brave/dumb driver to tackle that stretch of road with that load and dang fortunate that this didn't cost him more than a pair of brake drums and wheels n tires.
Very true, that tongue weight has to be added to the vehicles GVWR. And most 19-20k lbs trailers are going to have 1000-1500lbs tongue weight.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

flingwing1969

Post by flingwing1969 »

Brings back memories - I spent WAY too much time in Williston back in the late '70s early '80s and then on and off for the next 20 years doing investigations of (mostly) workover rig accidents from my offices in Minot and Bismarck. I don't miss it. The truck in the culvert catch basin looks like what almost happened to me in '81, while looking for a drilling rig on a prairie road, at night, in a Citation X-11. Bam! there was a hole that deep in the middle of the road and I came to a stop inches before putting her all the way in.
Tom
Tall Cedars of Shasta County California Near Lassen Park
1965 J-2600 Buick 350 V8, Camper Special (6,000 lb GVW) (Engine Blown 10/2014 :-? )
1973 J-4800 Service Body, AMC 360 4bbl, T18A
1975 CJ-5, AMC 304 V8, T-15
1974 CJ-5, AMC IL 258, T-18A
1974 Dodge W300 Dump Truck (10,000 lb GVW) (Sold 11/2014)

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

flingwing1969 wrote:in a Citation X-11.

HAH! I had one of those!
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Hah! an X-11!!
I bet you felt like a Boss Stud driving that one :D

Yeah, this place is not what I would refer to as a 'Nice' place to live. Schizophrenic weather, (-15F one day, +70f the next), windy, muddy and remote.
The soil here is evil and lures unsuspecting truckers into it's clutches and laughs at them.

Two water tankers had just arrived at the location and had to wait for others to vacate so they decided to park nearby to wait. They followed the numerous tracks of other trucks and the first one made it around okay...but the second guy was not so lucky. There was a 20' by 30' area where the soil was still damp under the dry crust...and it swallowed the truck to the FRAME!

I had to twin line this one as he was loaded at 102,000Lbs.
Sgt Hulka didn't break a sweat and the truck was out in less than 10 minutes...if that.
Too bad I had to charge him 2 hours drive time to get there.

The arrows point to where the tractor's drivers were. At least 20" deep!

Jim

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

What's with the wavy red line in that first pic? Recovery plan?

Cool stuff, btw!
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

KJ Ryu wrote:What's with the wavy red line in that first pic? Recovery plan?

Cool stuff, btw!
That shows the path the pickup took as it spun off the road. The driver was lucky indeed...hence the 'Higher Power' decal on the side hehe.
I drove down into the field behind the truck and winched it away from the culvert and creek.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Some photos of me playing tow truck operator up here in the Bakken Oilpatch.

This guy was blasting down the highway at 70Mph on frozen rain when it got away from him.
He said he spun at least eight times before coming to rest on the concrete culvert. Could have been really bad if the pickup was sideways when it hit the bottom...

I dunno. I think he was out having fun an he tole his buddy " I becha I can get through that culvert"
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

flingwing1969

Post by flingwing1969 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Hah! an X-11!!
I bet you felt like a Boss Stud driving that one :D

Yeah, this place is not what I would refer to as a 'Nice' place to live. Schizophrenic weather, (-15F one day, +70f the next), windy, muddy and remote.
The soil here is evil and lures unsuspecting truckers into it's clutches and laughs at them.
Jim
I did like that X11 - midnight blue with silver. Very comfortable and a nice driver. Interesting that I owned my PI firm at the time and one of my clients was GM and the matter was the X-car brake issues. GM eventually won the case brought by the government, and others, showing no defect in the bulk of the X-cars out there. There was, however, one car that GM found did have brake problems, the Citation X-11 with manual 4-speed - guess what I owned.

I was on my way down Hwy 85 near the SD border, heading towards an interview in Bison, SD one snowy Jan day, doing about 50 and thinking it was a bit fast for the 5" of snow on the roadway. I touched the brake to release the cruise control and the rear brakes locked (that was the issue) and there I was, going backwards down the highway at 50 mph heading for the ditch. Into the ditch I went at about 30. Thankfully, the FWD and snow tires got me out pretty cleanly but it was truly exciting. GM recalled that car and replace the entire brake system, front to back.Image
Tom
1965 J-2600 Buick 350 V8, Camper Special (6,000 lb GVW) (Engine Blown 10/2014 :-? )

Topic author
Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

That must have been an eye-opener!

flingwing1969

Post by flingwing1969 »

Tatsadasayago wrote:That must have been an eye-opener!
Surprise! Thank God for light traffic in southwest ND. :shock:
Tom