Sexism rant...

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

Topic author
candymancan

Sexism rant...

Post by candymancan »

Now im pretty sure this is a sexism thing going on here against me but im not sure. I plan to get to the bottom of it though.

One of my big hobbies that takes up more time and miney then my Jeeps is aquariums. I have a 135 gallon 6 foot long tank in my bedroom with discus fish that could buy my wagoneer if i sold em lol.. Also have a 27g hexagon salt water reef tank in my bedroom abd a 90g and other various tanks downstairs.

Now i recently got into saltwater as ive been doing fresh for nearly 15 years now. I pulled out my childhood 27g hex resealed it did my research and bought what i needed online mostly.. When it came to coral and fish i got most of it locally.

Petco sells salt water fish and the store near me also sells corals.. Good ones i might add that are half the price of dedicated reef stores. The ppl working there are all hobbyists and so they setup a dedicated 50g short tank with a sump and t5 ligjting for corals.

Now to get to the point ive spent about 800$ on just this small hexagon.. Most of which was coral and fish.. So i spend alot in petco.. Ive been trying a few times to get thrm to price match their own damn website though.. Some items are 4-5$ discounted on their own website and for black friday fish were 20% off.. But they wont price match their own website but they do price match competitor websites lol.

The other day when helping this lady with her marine tank ( i may be new to salt but 15 years in fresh water the same basic principals stand) she mentioned to me that they allowed her to return and exchange her dead salt water fish.. and price matched the fish and some items from their own website. They wouldnt let me do that or exchange the fish because they have no marine fish garuntee only fresh water.

So why are they allowing this one amature to get these discounts when i cant especially when i spend a big chunk of money there. Im in there every other day sometimes lol.

The manager and 95% of the empoyees are women.. Only one guy works there and hes parttime. Im starting to wonder if this is a sexism thing going on here. They only give leeways to women but not men..

What do you guys think ? Becauss when she told me they allowed her to do that i just about went off to speak to cookie who is the manager..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Sexism rant...

Post by rocklaurence »

Funny study on Sexism in the work place. I've been fortunate to work for Large Companies and Equal Opportunity, Inclussion are always a big deal. A study came out to Sterilize Resumes in regard to gender [names, gender etc]. This would obviously ensure that employers weren't Hiring Gender Bias. However, after 2 years they found that women applicants were being hired less often because they didn't have competative resumes compared to men. So, it was decided that they needed to include gender as a consideration to balance the hiring process and that the souly Object system was unfair....

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I would go with at least 50 gallons for a salt water tank. Anything smaller can be a challenge to keep occupants alive. Some salt water fish are hermaphrodites and don't care about sexism.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

letank

Post by letank »

hummmm, time for a study, if wearing a wig and bra would help you to get more benefits... don't forget to shave.... may be eyeliner and 2" heel if needed...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

az chip

Post by az chip »

Find a petco with more male employees. Or, do as letank says.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

letank wrote:hummmm, time for a study, if wearing a wig and bra would help you to get more benefits... don't forget to shave.... may be eyeliner and 2" heel if needed...
No, that is a Whole Different catogory! LGBT-- with 50 gender discriptions and the web sites that list the definitions make a Disclaimer at the begining of the list that states "This list is not all inclussive, is fluid and that the person/persons can define themselves anyway that they want to and that their Perceptions of themselves is the only thing that matters". Talk about confussed!! If I refered to myJ10 as the Space Shuttle, everyone on this site would say I was CRAZY because we have a fairly accurate and a long-standing difinition of what a J10 is. Even if Congress passed laws stating that my J10 was indeed a Space Shuttle--it wouldn't make it so.. :shock:

Fast79Chief

Post by Fast79Chief »

Simply find the phone number for Petco corporate and make the call. Explain your experience and the customer who was able to return the dead fish ... and ask Corporate "what is your national policy?" See what they say.
1979 Cherokee Chief S, V8, MSD Pro Billet Distributor with New Factory Ignition Box (are these 2 even supposed to work together?), HEI Wires, Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock Performer manifold, 3.54 gears, Tru-Trac Locker in the rear, Turbo 400, New Quadratrac, Dual gas tanks, new 32 x 11.50's, Big 9000 winch, Homemade 2.5" full length exhaust, Custom Headlight Harness, Custom front bumper working, Custom Rear Swing-out Bumper, Class V receiver hitch ... and a lot of work to do yet. :)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

the national policy is no returns on salt marine fidh so why they did it for this woman but not me a man is a little weird.. Shes been in there many times now returning dead marine fish its ticking me off..

as for a bigger tank.. I only have 1 of each species for fish so nothing gender changing will happen... The tank has 0 nitrates 0 phosphates and all my corals are doing fine.

I did buy a 60 gallon hexagon tonight though.. the 27g was just to start off with as i had the tank in storage... Anything unnder 30 gallons is considered a nano tank when it comes to reefs... people do em in 10 gallon tanks too . It can be done if you know what youre doing.

Anyway... I know you all think this is funny and something to pop jokes at... but it is a little questioning if they break policy for a woman killing her marine fish because she wont wait for her tabk to cycle... And they are giving her discounts on items same items they wouldnt for me.

Yet ive spent 10x morr then this woman... I dunno im not trying to be the well if he g3ts it why cant I... but still all women working there... they dont give the men discounts or break policy.. but they do women.

It happened again the other day.. They had a guinie pig for adoption.. I was going to take it... But they said he will be ready tomorrow... I come in tomorrow early morning when it opens and hes gone and they gave it to an employee.. a woman..

Just kinds iritating

haynesm

Post by haynesm »

Don't you have bigger fish to fry?

mx71

Post by mx71 »

Sounds like more of a problem of bad corporate policy and the employees unbendingly adhering to that policy rather than sexism. Have you tried shopping at a local store rather than a corporate chain? I'm positive that you'd get better service.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

haynesm wrote:Don't you have bigger fish to fry?

Nope.

If they are adhering to the policy why are they picking and chosing women to BEND policy ?

mx71

Post by mx71 »

candymancan wrote:because they have no marine fish garuntee only fresh water.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

and they are allowing women to exchange marine fish.. did you not get what i wrote..