Whiskey Guidelines

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

shimniok

Re: Whiskey Guidelines

Post by shimniok »

Cheers, good posts!

I am more of a Scotch whiskey drinker, favoring offerings from Islay. My wife, however, says it all smells like vomit and burned rubber. :)

My cabinet usually has 0-3 bottles of something. Right now I think I'm down to none. My latest favorite was actually an Irish Whiskey: Knappogue Castle 12 year. Yum.

I too am a Tincup fan. Tickles my fancy without doing worse to my wallet. :)

Now, let's see, where'd I put my bronzed baby shoe... hmm...
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

:funnypost:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, served over crushed ice, drink when the frost forms on the outside of the glass.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

I'm late to this thread.

I enjoy many whiskies from all over the world. My Wife is a Bourbon lover, I lean more towards Scotch myself, but we both drink across the board. I'm starting to play with more Japanese whiskies as well.

Her default cocktail of choice? The Old Fashioned. Mine? The Manhattan.

She doesnt regularly drink her liquors neat. I commonly do.

We have a few bottles of different sorts in our bar. In this pic the bottom right shelf is the whiskey shelf.
bar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

My wife is an Advanced Cicerone, a Level II Sommelier, is certified in Sake and a number of other things as well. she is employed as a professional educator for one of the largest liquor distributors in the country. She teaches their staff, and any staff of their accounts who wish to learn more. It's safe to say we are beer wine and liquor snobs....to an extent.

That being said, I agree with the others here in that my tastes and preferences do not always coincide with others, and I do not spread my snobbery to others! An oft repeated saying in our house when among company is "drink what you love, love what you drink"

Yes, we have the bottles of high end wine, rare hard to find beers, and top shelf liquor. Note however, that is only a small part of our collection. We drink alot of what many folks would consider "low end" libations as well. Thats because there's a time and a place for just about everything (except coors light, haha).

i travel to breweries all the time and have been to $300 beer dinners, but on the flip side I have drank more Coors Banquet, Miller High Life, and PBR than anything else, and I still drink them regularly. There is value to beer as such.

95% of the wine we drink is less than $15 per bottle. Because I want to have a wine I'm going to enjoy and not worry about drinking when I sit down with the dinner we just made.

Of all the whiskey I consume, I hands down drink more Evan Williams than anything else. I love it. Love it love it love it. Do I sit there and sip it over ice? No, but its ideal for a number of cocktails and its dangerously cheap. Moscow Mules, Old Fashioneds (I find it too sweet for a manhattan, as I prefer perfect manhattans or dry), it excels in those roles. It constantly accompanies me on camping trips. Perfect woods whiskey. And Evan Williams, price wise, is pretty much at the lowest end of the spectrum. But, it's been around forever and does a great job at a number of things when I dont want to tap into a $50 bottle. at this price point, Evan is an incredible value at $15 for a half gallon...and its even classy enough to come in a glass bottle ;-)

Also, on that note, if you havent tried Evan Williams single Barrel, its worth a try. $35ish for a 750ml. I like it neat.

On scotch, I suck down a ton of this store brand stuff from Total Wine. I love me some Balvenie 21 Portwood, but its not always the right time to pour a dram from a $220 bottle. I've found my ideal "everyday" scotch. Shieldaig Highland is super peaty which obviously is not super typical of a highland, but its decent, and its like $16 for a 750ml. I drink that stuff like its going out of style.

So, in conclusion, theres something for everybody, we all have our favorites, whether it be taste or tradition or the memories associated with it. i understand this, I consider myself a bit of an aficionado, but i still drink what alot of people would consider swill. I'm never one to judge somebody on their libation of choice nor how they drink it...unless its coors light.
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Don S

Post by Don S »

I rarely drink the hard stuff…
but when I do it's Bacardi 151

I drink cheap box wine… Sunset Blush. One time I had a couple of Bull Shots.
It was beef broth and wiskey

It was pretty good.. Don S..

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Very interesting, informative and entertaining reading in here.
I'll have to check out this Evan Williams stuff and how it compares to my Seagrams 7 in taste.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Very interesting, informative and entertaining reading in here.
I'll have to check out this Evan Williams stuff and how it compares to my Seagrams 7 in taste.
I highly doubt you'll be disappointed! Evan Williams (black label, which is their standard and I'm pretty sure the one the good Dr. is talking about) is a real Straight Bourbon. I've never met anyone in real life that can tell Evan Williams black label from Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey in a taste test.

Since your benchmark is Seagram's 7, you should know that Seagram's 7 only meets the bare minimum standards for American Whiskey, and being made by Coca-Cola, probably has a whole bunch of flavor and color additives. If you like it, that's all that matters. Just know that a lot of those additives are scary, beyond being crushed up beetles or literally beaver piss which it seems tastes like vanilla, counts as "natural flavor" and goes by the name "castoreum".

Evan Williams on the other hand is nothing but real grain alcohol, aged at least two years in new charred oak barrels, and mixed with nothing but water. I also like Evan Williams in cocktails like Dr. M, but it does alright on it's own legs without training wheels in a good garage after-wrench-session rag chew. :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that being a Whiskey N00b.

I don't mind beetle and cricket corpses but the 7 has a bit of an edge that I don't like. I'll hunt down some Evan tomorrow and try a bottle.
Can't any worse than that Clan McGregor I tried. Gawd, the next morning I swear I had charcoal, deer pee and buffalo crap in my mouth...
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Not much of a drinker myself but this reminds me of a scene in the movie Ensign Pulver. Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon mix up some hooch. Rubbing alcohol and shoe polish for color. A few other ingredients I don't remember for taste.

Speaking of don't remember. I think that was in Mr. Roberts. Or maybe...
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

REDONE wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:Very interesting, informative and entertaining reading in here.
I highly doubt you'll be disappointed! Evan Williams (black label, which is their standard and I'm pretty sure the one the good Dr. is talking about) is a real Straight Bourbon. I've never met anyone in real life that can tell Evan Williams black label from Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey in a taste test.

Since your benchmark is Seagram's 7, you should know that Seagram's 7 only meets the bare minimum standards for American Whiskey, and being made by Coca-Cola, probably has a whole bunch of flavor and color additives. If you like it, that's all that matters. Just know that a lot of those additives are scary, beyond being crushed up beetles or literally beaver piss which it seems tastes like vanilla, counts as "natural flavor" and goes by the name "castoreum".

Evan Williams on the other hand is nothing but real grain alcohol, aged at least two years in new charred oak barrels, and mixed with nothing but water. I also like Evan Williams in cocktails like Dr. M, but it does alright on it's own legs without training wheels in a good garage after-wrench-session rag chew. :-bd
What he said!

I started drinking Evan way back because one day we ran out of jack at a friends birthday party but had a bottle of Evan. I was like wtf?! Jack is like $17 or $20 for a 750, Evan is $8.99 for a 750, and as mentioned above, it might as well be the same with your eyes closed.

And if you like the Evan black label stuff (just the typical bottle that looks similar to JD) you'll like their single barrel!

Also, Evan Williams is one of the top selling bourbons in the world.

Its far and above Seagrams. Whole different level as pointed out above.

People often poo-poo things like lower end liquors or beers that come from big operations, and consider them being lower quality or whatever. I actually give them MORE credit. Do you have any idea the level of precision and cleanliness and equipment and training and operational consistency it takes to make a Budweiser that you drank 6 years ago in California taste the same as one you got last week at an airport in France? Same goes for these liquor companies. To be able to produce such mass quantities and maintain the same level of quality and consistency is absolutely amazing.

My other fav's:

Bulleit Bourbon - I consume a lot of Bulleit Bourbon as well. My dog's name is Bulleit, if that's any indicator. It's my go to for a Manhattan. The regular stuff I buy large format bottles, but the Bulleit 10 year is an amazing sipper all on its own.

Amador Double Barrel Bourbon - This is my wife's current favorite.

JR Ewing - Tasty, and a little bit lighter than most that I like.

Macallan 12 - Probably my go to "normal" price Highland scotch.

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Tatsadasayago wrote:Thanks, I wasn't aware of that being a Whiskey N00b.

I don't mind beetle and cricket corpses but the 7 has a bit of an edge that I don't like. I'll hunt down some Evan tomorrow and try a bottle.
Can't any worse than that Clan McGregor I tried. Gawd, the next morning I swear I had charcoal, deer pee and buffalo crap in my mouth...
:-bd

Thats how my mouth tastes on any given morning..... :P

My basic litmus test for any alcohol is whether it comes in glass or plastic....and this test has to be passed for both a 750 and a 1.75. If EITHER ONE comes in plastic, its gonna be a hard sell.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

I'd also like to apologize for being a whiskey snob tats. It's gross to think of what all those additives could be, especially since they're not required to disclose any of it, but I don't subscribe to the philosophy that it's any more harmful than anything else we eat or drink. If I was your guest and you offered seven crowns I'd happily accept. :-bd

I'm betting that if you shop your taste buds around a bit though, you'll find a straight Bourbon, Tennessee whiskey, or American rye whiskey that tastes better and costs less. Those three categories are the most controlled: no additives and aged at least 2 years in new charred oak barrels. Although "American-rye-whiskey" has to be in that order. Rye American whisky or whiskey rye can be rubbing alcohol with liquid smoke and RC cola syrup aged 30 seconds in old galoshes.
Grizzly Locker Rear

Don S

Post by Don S »

SJTD wrote:Not much of a drinker myself but this reminds me of a scene in the movie Ensign Pulver. Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon mix up some hooch. Rubbing alcohol and shoe polish for color. A few other ingredients I don't remember for taste.

My Dad was in the submarine service from 1934 till well after the end of WW-II. He was an alcoholic. Got that way by
drinking torpedo juice filtered through a loaf of bread.
It makes one wonder if that's why our torpedo's didn't all run true during the early part of the war!

Bottoms up.. Don S..

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Don S wrote:
SJTD wrote:Not much of a drinker myself but this reminds me of a scene in the movie Ensign Pulver. Henry Fonda and Jack Lemmon mix up some hooch. Rubbing alcohol and shoe polish for color. A few other ingredients I don't remember for taste.

My Dad was in the submarine service from 1934 till well after the end of WW-II. He was an alcoholic. Got that way by
drinking torpedo juice filtered through a loaf of bread.
It makes one wonder if that's why our torpedo's didn't all run true during the early part of the war!

Bottoms up.. Don S..
Woah! thats a history lesson right there!! I just did a little reading and WOWIE!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice

90supra

Post by 90supra »

Late to this party but I like this thread already. Probably going to learn some new things to try from it.

On the Jack vs Evan thing, I lean to Evan everytime. Jack has a sweetness to it that I'm not a fan of. Evan was a good buddy throughout college...
The Fleet:
1967 J3000 (258/T18/D20, MC 2100)
1972 240Z (heading under the knife :evil:)
1978 Corvette (wife's HS project)
1987 Grand Wagoneer (Howell TBI 360 HEI, Thorley headers, Edelbrock intake, 727 NP208, Rustys 4")
2013 Subaru WRX

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

90supra wrote:
Jack has a sweetness to it that I'm not a fan of.
That's because it's filtered through maple wood charcoal prior to aging. That's the filtering process that's required of all new distilleries to use the title "Tennessee Whiskey" (only one distillery is grand-fathered in from before the law was passed). :-bd
Grizzly Locker Rear

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Wild Turkey is my go to for cheap bourbon.

You get an extra 20% savings because it's 101 proof.

To me the best bourbons start at 90 proof and up. And if it's smooth, well that just icing on the cake....
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Well, not all wild turkey is 101, they have three standards, 86, 101 and 151. 151 is the maximum allowed by law, and 101 is my sneaky-drinky favorite. That's why I took it to that wedding I talked about on the first page. By sneaky-drinky I don't mean "anywhere", only where there are libations, just not libations I want (like light beer or this awful stuff called Tuaca)

EDIT>> I am mistaken. While 151 is the legal limit, the strongest Wild Turkey sold is 112 proof. I'm currently on the google hunt for the 151proof bourbon I heard of...
Grizzly Locker Rear

Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

REDONE wrote:Well, not all wild turkey is 101, they have three standards, 86, 101 and 151. 151 is the maximum allowed by law, and 101 is my sneaky-drinky favorite. That's why I took it to that wedding I talked about on the first page. By sneaky-drinky I don't mean "anywhere", only where there are libations, just not libations I want (like light beer or this awful stuff called Tuaca)

EDIT>> I am mistaken. While 151 is the legal limit, the strongest Wild Turkey sold is 112 proof. I'm currently on the google hunt for the 151proof bourbon I heard of...

I think the last bottle of Bookers I had was about 130?