The HAM thread for non-HAMs!

Area for General NON-Jeep related chat. Topics are typically not moderated, but must fall within the Use Guidelines.

will e

Re: The HAM thread for non-HAMs!

Post by will e »

Yeah, they seem to indicate the differentiator is that is can listen to two frequencies on the same band (VHF/UHF) as if other radio's are limitied to listening to one on each. I will have to go check out my HT and what it does.

More curious than anything. I might pick up the Kenwood and save myself the cost of buying three upgrades before I get there. haha
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

The Kenwood 710G is a nice piece of work. It can recieve APRS packets on one vfo and you can use voice on the other vfo to say a repeater at the same time on the same hardware. No need for 2 radios for APRS and regular communications. Thats what I like about my Yaesu.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

will e

Post by will e »

Okay if I am doing APRS then I am basially 'single voice band'? That's okay, just trying to understand.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

az chip

Post by az chip »

There are two radios in the Kenwood. VxV and UxU means you can listen to two 2 meter freqs or two 70cm freqs at the same time. Example, you can listen to the input to a repeater while also using another frequency in the same band. A feature I love is cross band repeat. I actually use that quite a bit. Great radio.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

will e wrote:Okay if I am doing APRS then I am basially 'single voice band'? That's okay, just trying to understand.
For example...If you look at this pic of my Yaesu you can see two different frequencies. The top frequency is our local 2M repeater for the Guadalupe County Radio Club. The bottom frequency is the national APRS frequency. I can chit chat on the repeater on VFO A at the same time that VFO B is receiving APRS packets. This is a true dual receive radio just like the Kenwood you are looking at. The chinese radios are dual monitor which means it will monitor 2 different frequencies but the first one that receives takes over.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

will e

Post by will e »

Thanks ClovisMan that's a helpful explaination. In your example, if you didn't have 'true dual band' and were carrying on a converstation via the repeater it is possible you would some of the APRS transmissions. With a 'true dual band' you won't.

What about sending? With a 'true dual band' will APRS send out your telemetry data or do you have to not be transmissting on the voice channel?

Ok AZ chip, what is 'cross band repeat'?

Also, I noticed reading up on APRS that you can sent/receive text messages. It isn't clear to me who you can communicate via text with. Only other people on APRS? Does everyone get to see your texts? I could see where this could be handy if you are stuck and are running late if you can text out.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

will e wrote:Thanks ClovisMan that's a helpful explaination. In your example, if you didn't have 'true dual band' and were carrying on a converstation via the repeater it is possible you would some of the APRS transmissions. With a 'true dual band' you won't.

What about sending? With a 'true dual band' will APRS send out your telemetry data or do you have to not be transmissting on the voice channel?It will still send. There are settings in my radio to tell it when to transmit beacon data. It does it in intervals like every 5 seconds, 30 second, 1 minute, 5 minute, etc. Even if you does miss a couple while you are transmitting it will not be enough to impede your data track.

Ok AZ chip, what is 'cross band repeat'?A radio with built-in crossband repeat allows you to listen on frequency in say the VHF band and then transmit on a frequency in the UHF band. So, you can leave your base radio ay camp with someone listening and use an HT, or multiple HT's out in the field and communicate back and forth

Also, I noticed reading up on APRS that you can sent/receive text messages. It isn't clear to me who you can communicate via text with. Only other people on APRS? Does everyone get to see your texts? I could see where this could be handy if you are stuck and are running late if you can text out.
You can send text messages to another APRS node or a group of APRS nodes called "Group Messaging". Its not real easy to do with the radio screen itself, but if you have it connected to droid phone, tablet, or laptop like mine, it is real easy to type out a message

will e

Post by will e »

ClovisMan wrote:
will e wrote: Ok AZ chip, what is 'cross band repeat'?A radio with built-in crossband repeat allows you to listen on frequency in say the VHF band and then transmit on a frequency in the UHF band. So, you can leave your base radio ay camp with someone listening and use an HT, or multiple HT's out in the field and communicate back and forth
For this to work the HT's would have to be dual band as well? They would RX on UHF band and TX on the VHF band? That's pretty smart.

You can send text messages to another APRS node or a group of APRS nodes called "Group Messaging". Its not real easy to do with the radio screen itself, but if you have it connected to droid phone, tablet, or laptop like mine, it is real easy to type out a message
So I assume the person texting is considered the control operator and must be licensed.

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

You are the control operator of the station. If you have a non-licensed passenger, they can send the text message on your behalf as long as you are present. Same principles as a GOTA station on field day.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Welp, I got a start on a cheap APRS system. Details in a separate thread. Let's just say the Hamfest on Sunday was a treasure trove. :) Came away with a 2m radio and magmount antenna for $40, got it hooked up to the pc w/ direwolf and APRSIS32 ... just need to make it all more permanent... although I also splurged on an Alinco into which I can add an internal TNC...
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

will e

Post by will e »

shimniok wrote:Welp, I got a start on a cheap APRS system. Details in a separate thread. Let's just say the Hamfest on Sunday was a treasure trove. :) Came away with a 2m radio and magmount antenna for $40, got it hooked up to the pc w/ direwolf and APRSIS32 ... just need to make it all more permanent... although I also splurged on an Alinco into which I can add an internal TNC...
Nice! I did a run and we used the FM bands, so much better than CB.

will e

Post by will e »

okay, I pulled the trigger (or pushed the mouse button) and ordered a Kenwood TM-D1710G. It has all the bells and whistles and some bells that whistle. I like how the APRS and other packet features along with GPS are just built in. So now I have two hobbies, cars and radios but I get to combine them so the line is a bit blurry. ;)

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

My Technician test is this Saturday morning. Been taking sample tests and reviewing test pool questions on breaks and lunches as much as I can. Passing most every module without much issue so should be good to go by then.
1964 J-200 360/TH400/BW1339 - "Hodge" - as in Hodge Podge :roll:
GM FF 14 Bolt 4.56:1 Yukon Posi rear / GM D44 4.56:1 front
Looking for 8 lug H1's and 37"s

will e

Post by will e »

MidTNJasonF wrote:My Technician test is this Saturday morning. Been taking sample tests and reviewing test pool questions on breaks and lunches as much as I can. Passing most every module without much issue so should be good to go by then.
Good for you! I obsessed over it, probably more than I needed. If you've been studying and taking sample tests you should have no worries about passing.

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

will e wrote:
MidTNJasonF wrote:My Technician test is this Saturday morning. Been taking sample tests and reviewing test pool questions on breaks and lunches as much as I can. Passing most every module without much issue so should be good to go by then.
Good for you! I obsessed over it, probably more than I needed. If you've been studying and taking sample tests you should have no worries about passing.
I actually took a 4 week class (just a few hours on Saturday mornings during February) put on for free by a local county ARES affiliated club. It gave me a good bit of background and information. Now I have just been burning through those test pool questions as a refresher to the class. The local county Emergency Management Service really supports the local radio clubs and allows them to use county office meeting/training space for the classes. The county also funds some of the equipment the club uses to support emergency communication for them when called upon.

will e

Post by will e »

So a permanent mount antenna on the roof is the way to go. But I need it to be able to get slapped by low handing branches and I will need to remove the antenna when I part in the garage (or fold it down).

2M 70CM dual band, what are your thoughts?

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

will e wrote:So a permanent mount antenna on the roof is the way to go. But I need it to be able to get slapped by low handing branches and I will need to remove the antenna when I part in the garage (or fold it down).

2M 70CM dual band, what are your thoughts?
So what's-his-face that's been doing ham off roading since I was just a glimmer in my dads eye said mag mount on the roof is the way to go. Advantage being that branches knock it over instead of breaking it off. Granted, in my truck I can climb in the bed and reach the middle of my roof pretty easily, while in your beautiful wagon it might not be so easy. Also, the cable can go right through my sliding window up to the roof, while on your cherk it may be a little less simple. :geek:
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

On the wagons and cherokees the best location I've found for a mag mount is directly above the dome light. With the door open you can stand up on the door sill, reach over, tip it over and slide it under the roof rack (Assuming you have one).

A permanent NMO style antenna with a coil spring is, in my opinion, the next best choice since it requires a hole to be cut in the roof.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

MidTNJasonF

Post by MidTNJasonF »

That just came up in my study question review. The center of the roof of a vehicle is the best choice because it provides the best possible radiation pattern for the antenna in a mobile setup. Nice large ground plane for the antenna really helps.

I have seen some other setups that are not center roof (or trunk) but most of those are for HF rigs (10m mostly)

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

I have a Comet Search and Rescue on a lip mount. I can hit the Fusion System Repeater in San Antonio thats probably 40 miles away with no problems. Better than any mag mount I've ever used.

https://www.gigaparts.com/comet-antenna ... oC7LTw_wcB

https://www.gigaparts.com/comet-antennas-cp-5m.html