Floor jacks, whaddya got?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

I have a cheapo jack that I never should have bought in the first place and I'm looking to replace it.

I know I don't want to replace it with cheap junk but I don't know where to find a good one. Looking for a good range of motion to handle a lifted Jeep and truck (both on 35's). I'm more than willing to pay for quality but I don't want to overpay just for a name. What do y'all recommend? Am I better off shopping online or finding something locally?

Thanks.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

carnuck

Re: Floor jacks, whaddya got?

Post by carnuck »

Local depends on local stores. I rarely have trouble with anything but the cheapest stuff. I have a 2 ton portable cheapie that I don't have to worry about if it's taken. I had a better one that I lost when we were moving from our old place to here. I almost lost my Jackall to the same person. The only time I ever want to see him again is when they haul his vehicles away and hopefully not even then.

Jackall for the trail is the way to go because you never know what you'll be sitting in/on.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I have an "SUV Jack" that I got from sears about 10 years ago. Still works great, and the reason it is called an SUV Jack is because of how high it can lift. It also has the variable valving so its 1-2 pumps to raise it up with no load, then when there is load it jacks like normal. But its starting point is also really low, I can jack up cars no problem.

Looking at sears now though they no longer carry this one. The one they have on there now is junk.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
derf

Post by derf »

Yeah, Sears has basically tanked in the last 5-10 years. The one I want to replace is a Craftsman I got about 3 years ago. The handle has a hard time engaging to open or close the valve and the valve is really stiff and it's hard to crack it open without it popping fully open and dropping the Jeep fast. I just don't really feel safe using it. Also, it doesn't have the quick lift valving either. I miss that.

I suppose I'll shop around the local stores and see what I can find.
W0JPR

Check out my gear ratio calculator

If you can't fix it with a hammer or duct tape you have an electrical problem.

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I'm in the same boat as you derf. I have a 2.5 ton from Harbor Freight and it sucks. It takes for ever to jack up and its not tall enough. It does the job but I need a much better/taller one as well.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

WT91

Post by WT91 »

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low- ... 61282.html

I have that one. Works great on my SOA Wagoneer, my buddies 6" lifted 37" tire CUCV, and my other buddies 8" lifted 37" ZJ.

It gets around.
  • 1990 Grand Wagoneer
    440 swap, 727 MVB, NP208, D44 F/R 4.10 gears ZIP locker up front Detroit out back. So much other stuff. Check out the build.
  • 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually
    7.3 PS, ZF5, 6.0 Intercooler, KC Turbo

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

I have the same HF 3-ton. Other than it being HEAVY, it works great. I wouldn't take it on a trail run or camping trip, but great around the garage/driveway. And it is low profile enough to use on other vehicles (and roll up under the side of my rolling toolbox to be out of the way when not in use).
I don't really have a good one for trail. The highlight is there to help if stuck and such, but would love to have one that you can toss under an axle of the frame.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I have been considering using a modded engine hoist ram (there are some that can be pumped up with air or straight hydraulic) with ground plates similar to base plates for Jack alls and have a 4 corner mounting system like camper jacks. It can be used to lift and/or stabilize when you are on 3 wheels offroad, push you in the direction you want to go..
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

motcat

Post by motcat »

I just picked up the HF 3 ton Rapid Pump for just under $69. Worked fine today playing around with it. Not sure how long it will last, but if I get 3 years I'm happy based on the cost.

I keep a small light 2 ton in the Jeep when travelling, and a Jackall when wheeling.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-Stee ... 68048.html

:JR
- John (aka JR)
78 Chief Dad bought new in Kenosha WI, 401, RV cam, Part time kit, Edelbrock+Holly 600, DUI, 3" Rancho, Skyjackers, Crossflow rad, Rust, rust, rust
78 J10 Bob's (Becca's) old J-Truck, Tired 360, Tired TH400, Tired QT, Just really tired, but keeps on runnin

NoLaFSJ

Post by NoLaFSJ »

Did some research on this a while back and ended up purchasing this one for my dad:

http://www.norcoindustries.com/products ... 1202A.html

I don't remember much about my research but I do remember reading lots of reviews and researching the different designs of jacks. This one is able to be rebuilt with parts from the same company if it ever breaks, which was a big selling point If it malfunctions due to faulty manufacturing, it has a lifetime warranty. I got this one for my dad after his sears jack pooped out after 30+ years of service. We just couldn't find the parts or persons able to fix it... We have been very happy with this one the past couple of years. HEAVY and very well built.

Don't remember the price but I had to call the sales department just to figure out how to get one. They shipped it to a local company for me. Don't think it was much over ~$300 ??? Worth it IMHO. I expect it to last a long time. The new Craftsman one we bought didn't last 2 years.

You can always modify the saddle with an extension if its not tall enough for your Wag.
Brian

1990 Grand Wagoneer

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

I have the 2 ton gray jack from NAPA and really like it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by wewillsurvive on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

rherndon

Post by rherndon »

I know everyone is down on Sears but I picked up the Craftsman 4-ton low-profile high-lift floor jack and it has been great. Have had it for over a year and use it regularly. Super sturdy and dialed in. It works. You can look for specials at Sears and get this jack for well under $200. Very pleased.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-ton-lo ... ockType=G3
'76 Wagoneer w/401; Restoration in progress

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

craftsman has some great jacks as well as some cheap models
napa has a nice one for 225-275
harbor freight even has some really nice ones in the 200 dollar range or more
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

Bostonbob

Post by Bostonbob »

Santa just left me a NAPA 3 1/2 ton jack , first new one for me and so far the best , I got tired of the 2 jack cummins lift

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Craigslist.

$25-50 soooo many for sale there.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.