Drill presses.

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Chuck1225

Drill presses.

Post by Chuck1225 »

So, I picked up a drill press for $50 today. An old beast of an Atlas model 1420 floor mount with a half inch chuck that still runs nice and smooth and quiet. The guy was a machinist with several presses, and this was the press he kept in the corner. He figured since he was getting older and had trouble getting to it, he'd sell it. A craigslist ad later, and well, there I was. I have no idea what year, unfortunatley. (I didn't get a chance to look at the tag as it had been painted over. I'll clean it up tomorrow, though.) I was just wondering what you guys thought, if anyone has had any experience with this model/brand, and what you guys use for your presses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nutz-n-Bolts

Re: Drill presses.

Post by Nutz-n-Bolts »

I couldn't tell you anything about that except you did extremely well ! You can just not find anything built that well any more. and the crap that there is sells for 7 times more. That is a great press that would even handle mild to medium duty metal work. Nice job :)
Lover of all Old Iron

60-79 CJ5 The best parts from several years combined to make one tough ALL JEEP CJ
81 J10 Pickup My newest acquisition undergoing a complete restoration

Herk

Post by Herk »

Late 40's to mid 50's vintage. Atlas machines were generally marketed to serious hobby or small shop work, and fill that role well today. They also sold their lathes under the Sears Craftsman brand. My dad has an Atlas horizontal milling machine that works well for what it is.

Good to see this one saved from the scrap heap, dollar for dollar, I'd rather clean up and old machine than buy a new Asian one.

Once you find the model number, you may be able to come up with a copy of a manual at www.vintagemachinery.org

kathyrose

Post by kathyrose »

Drill presses are quite useful and they come under a variety of models depending on their capacity and load.

yashlathemachine

Post by yashlathemachine »

jasspaul

Post by jasspaul »

It works better than many other versions of drill presses. You got it for $50 its amazing price to get this kind of handy tool.