New to welding

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Tad
Vendor

Re: New to welding

Post by Tad »

Since it is DC output only any other TIG attachment that might work would still have the same limitation.
DC TIG is how we weld stainless and mild steel, spool gun with Argon is how you deal with AL on a DC output machine.

There are similar (and lighter) machines out there that are 110V that will take a spool gun, stainless (which does not come into play very often) can be dealt with using argon and specialty wire.

The limitation to a DC spool gun and AL is that is not great for thin AL (under 1/8").
I have used mine to weld AL brackets to my AL rad using my MillervDVI Gen 1.
I'm not real happy with the Gen 2 DVI units, but they are 1/2 the price of that machine you listed.

http://store.cyberweld.com/buildwithblue5.html
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

xGROMx

Post by xGROMx »

I skipped to the end so I appologise if this has been talked about.

You say you only have 120 to your shop, you can probably easily change that to 240, before buying a 110 welder. Also look at the ones that can be changed between 120 and 240 later.

Are there any reasons why can can't have 240 to your shop?

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Tad wrote:
Blake wrote: ...This is a Gen 1 Miller DVI (11 years old) on a dedicated 30amp 110V circuit.

Not doubting Tad in the least - he is the master welder and I am the grasshopper - but I would point out that no one has 30 amp 110V outlets in their garage. Your typical 110V lamp circuits are 15 amps, and some of your garage outlets might be 20 amps (20A). Equipment requiring 20A uses a different plug from your lamps and stereo equipment, and a 30A 110V outlet is yet another plug design.

My question is - why add a 30A 110V circuit whan you can just as easily add a 30A 240V circuit - they are equally as specialized in terms of wiring and equipment. Same sized wire, different connectors, different breaker.

Ultimately the amount of heat your welding rig can deliver is limited by the power in watts that the electrical circuit can deliver. Watts = volts times amps. Twice the voltage is twice the amount of heat, for the same number of amps. This is simple physics.

So, unless you already have a 30A 110V circuit in your garage, I would suggest that you are unnecessarily limiting yourself by installing dedicated 30A 110V line... unless you already have the equipment that only has 110V capability.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

xGROMx

Post by xGROMx »

Is this in a Garage or a Shop? I am assuming that becouse you called it a shop it is detached from the house and you would have to run new wire to the shop from the house. If its a garage and attached to the house, it would be simple to add a 30A 240 circut to your garage from the panel.

If it is detached what type of wire is running to the shop, and do you have a fuse box that you could take a picture of? I do electrical work and want to help.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

tgreese wrote:...
My question is - why add a 30A 110V circuit whan you can just as easily add a 30A 240V circuit - they are equally as specialized in terms of wiring and equipment. Same sized wire, different connectors, different breaker...
It was there when I bought the house and the only unused breaker in the panel.
We are not sure what it powered, possibly a drop for an RV at some previous point in life.
My house is old ('57) and is due for a panel upgrade when my electrician buddy gets back from working in Joplin.
That will involve a new mast, meter base, panel, permit, cleaning up several PO's add ons, etc.
It will be pricey but it's way overdue. Sometimes I look at my panel and wonder why the house has not burned to the ground yet.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Thanks for all the inforama Tad. I am sort of new to welding myself. I can put steel together and somewhat work with a spool gun. It ain't pretty, but thats why they make grinders, or atleast thats what I have heard. LOL I started welding my motor mounts the other day. Had to use flux core wire, (God, I hate cleaning that spatter) but the welds came out absolutely beautiful.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
FirefighterIV

Post by FirefighterIV »

Thanks for all of the Info guys, I really do appreciate it. My issue with the wiring in my shop is tricky. My shop is in a 90 ft by 50 ft dairy barn on my farm. It is attached to in identical dairy barn on the other side, and the breaker panel Is at the other end of that barn. The barns were built in 1905, not sure when the breaker panels and such were installed, but my electrical source is sketchy at best. I need to rewire the barns at some point, I'd like to make the other side a paint booth, which is going to require a compressor with more than a 110 circuit. But between taking care of the farm and the money going in to my truck, rewiring 180 ft of barns is low on my to do list, so as of now I'm just looking at what I can support for now, and upgrade later. Again, I really appreciate all of your help!
Keep Calm & Chive on!

85 J10-20...the moneypit

"true happiness is a belt fed weapon... and an ammo factory"

xGROMx

Post by xGROMx »

Is the meter on the barn or is it getting power from your house? If from house how far away is it?

Topic author
FirefighterIV

Post by FirefighterIV »

It's on the barn
Keep Calm & Chive on!

85 J10-20...the moneypit

"true happiness is a belt fed weapon... and an ammo factory"

xGROMx

Post by xGROMx »

Then you will have plenty of power to use for a shop. Just run individualnlinesnfor what you need at the time. No need to rewire the whole thing. Get some 10-3 (30amp) and add a new outlet for your welder.

The only problem will be the age and condition of the panelbox.