metal cutting blade

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
surfwagoneer

metal cutting blade

Post by surfwagoneer »

Spent about 8 hours the other day measuring, mocking up and cutting metal. I highly recommend the Lenox metal saw blade for a circular saw, 7 1/4" blade. Expensive ($50 at Lowes) but every penny worth it and can be re-sharpened. Cut 1/4 plate, 2x2 and 2x6-1/4" all day long like nothing. Never even took out the metal chop saw. Oh and that was with a $10 skill saw that is about 12 yrs old.

89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.
78 Cherokee Chief- work in progress

AwesomeJ10

Re: metal cutting blade

Post by AwesomeJ10 »

interesting...

Post by 243 »

Metal cutting saws have been out a long time now, silly expensive but I sure want to add a chop saw to the shop.

I use my wood cutting chop saw to cut aluminum angle and flat stock on a regular basis, it's LOUD though.

I think Evolution was the first that grabbed my attention,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQz9xV4sr8o
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

They are pretty loud but put out limited sparks and make very clean cuts. Like I had mentioned my circular saw is much older and I think only pulls 4500 rpms. I think the max on the blade is 5500 rpms. I used a little wd40 on my cut lines and a bit on the blade and worked perfect.
89 GW- Rebuilt 360 w RV camshaft, 4 inch Rustys spring lift, 1" body lift, dana 44HD front, 14 bolt rear 3.73's.

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

I've used those before. At work we use metal cutting circular saws all the time. We rarely even bring a torch on the job anymore. Evolution, morse, and my favorite the Milwaukee. They also make them in different size blades. 8 and 9". Harbor freight used to make a saw too that was ok for a homeowner. I'm not sure I they still have it.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

I used to get these used crosshatched Diamondite blades for $5 each at Boeing Surplus and they were awesome! I'd go through solid steel 2" bar in 1/8th the time it took to use the band saw. They don't sell that stuff anymore tho.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Im surprised it lasted so long with minimal lube. That's awesome! I had the HF dual blade saw and loved how it worked but they break and I couldn't deal with it not being reliable. Craftsman has one but I couldn't source replacement blades for it and Sears said that it was being discontinued. I'd love to have a reliable Dual saw but cant find one.

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

I was looking at this saw on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Power-T ... utting+saw but decided to try just the blade first, plus it was half the price.

jamesdart

Post by jamesdart »

the evolution stuff doesn't really hold up that well. to be honest, on the job the only time I ever used a lube on one of these saws was cutting aluminum. we never use it on steel. the blades last pretty long. the problem with them is the cutting teeth get knocked off real easy, if you pinch the blade or bind it. on all the forums I go on, any time I see guys asking what too l to buy to cut steel with, I always recommend one of these saws, or blades. they really are awesome. they work pretty good up to 3/8". I think the worm drive saws are better if you are just buying a 7 1/4" blade to put on a regular saw. they spin slightly slower.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

So, what ya making now Surf? All that steel? ;) Gonna be at the Fall run in Uwharrie? I know, I know, all these questions. :P
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

racerx12003r1 wrote:So, what ya making now Surf? All that steel? ;) Gonna be at the Fall run in Uwharrie? I know, I know, all these questions. :P
Not sure what I'm gonna tackle next but I need to take the sliders back off, clean them up and paint them. Also been working on slowly gathering parts to go soa and rear Chevy springs. And then of coarse I need to finish the front bumper. That being said it's been super busy lately so I don't know that much will be changed for the fall ride

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I heard that. I was looking at some pictures the other day that Seth took of your sliders. I really liked the way you tucked them up. I finally broke down and got me a good welder the other day. Got jealous of how good yall's welds looked compared to mine with my HF special. :P
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Topic author
surfwagoneer

Post by surfwagoneer »

racerx12003r1 wrote:I heard that. I was looking at some pictures the other day that Seth took of your sliders. I really liked the way you tucked them up. I finally broke down and got me a good welder the other day. Got jealous of how good yall's welds looked compared to mine with my HF special. :P
Thanks for all the compliments. My welds have a long way to go to resemble anything good but they held rock solid and that's all I could really ask for with my first metal fab project. I'll have to say though I think its my new favorite hobby, had a blast making everything. Good luck on your projects!

Post by 243 »

I bought the Diablo at HD a while back and put it on an old Skil saw and it worked great, I want to get a 12" for my chop saw because it so much faster than my 4x6 horizontal bandsaw.
1978 Cherokee NT, 5.3/4L60/NP241 in Progress