MAC or Snap-On?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
TUDrewser

MAC or Snap-On?

Post by TUDrewser »

I'm working on a little project here that I'm not ready to reveal. However, curious what the general opinions are about Mac Tools vs. Snap-On Tools. We have several professionals on here, as well as even more semi-professionals, so curious about the general opinion. Do both trucks tend to visit repair shops? Do shops go with one or the other? Is it 50/50 split?

I've heard Mac tools mentioned more here on the forum, but don't know if there's a reason or if it's coincidence. Opening can of worms....now.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

carnuck

Re: MAC or Snap-On?

Post by carnuck »

Each have some specialized tools for certain jobs. $napon co$t$ more usually but I often check out Herbrandt tools as well.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

husker77

Post by husker77 »

I love my snap on, I haven't really used much else. In the marine industry with high corrosion the snap on flank drive wrenches and sockets are used by most(from my antidotal research)technicians. I used to have craftsman but they are no comparison and I will not subject my hands to such nonsense anymore. I think service is one of the better aspects, our mac dealer is bad I've heard and my snap on guy has always been exceptional.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

In my experience, its all about the driver/salesman.

My Mac guy is a down to earth biker. He builds and shows his own bikes. His tool truck is a mess, but he know what he has. He'll tell you hes a money whore, and work with you when you need it. I was waiting for him today to make a payment and watched him fly past the shop. I called him and he said he didnt see the door open until it was too late and decided screw it, he was going home. Its one of those scenarios where I would do business with him just because of his attitude.

The local Snap-on guy is a stuck up ass that thinks his are gold. I have found the Snap-ons to be the highest of the 4 trucks (Matco & Corwell) that frequent our area. The other two are about the same as Mac. I try not to buy anything that is not on sale.

Wow, I had more to say then I thought I did. :roll:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I actually didn't know there were other trucks/brands. Open to recommendations about that too. For Arizona guys, interested in any specific drivers who could spend a few hours in Mesa on a Saturday. Kind of a long shot, I know.

Sent from Tapatalk

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

I would talk to several shops in your area, specifically any where a friend works. Somebody that works there (friend) will have better chance of being there when the guy shows up if you need something.

Find out what tool truck rep has been around and is going to be around the longest. Thats who to go with if you are going $$$ truck tools.

My buddy got stuck with several Snap-on air tools that where still under warranty that he has to pay to get fixed now because their rep disappeared.
He loves his SO stuff, but wont buy anymore. Has good luck with Mac and Matco though. Both their reps have been around for several years.
Dont think they have a Cornwell truck over there.

Could be worse, one of his co-workers got ripped off when the SO guy was supposed to be getting his diagnostics tool repaired and never came back.
They went through something like 7 SO reps in 5 years, and thats including when they had no rep for almost a year.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

will e

Post by will e »

I own exactly 1 snapon product. A 3/8 inch wratchet. I got it as a Christmas present years ago. My mom's brother was a snap-on truck driver at the time. It's a nice unit. Has a really small degree of movement to wratchet.

Since I am just a shade tree dude I went mostly Craftsman. And for a tool box I went HF. I could not justify spending twice as much.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

My Dad was a Craftsman man. And so am I. Despite what people say. The only thing I get from trucks are Tacos.
Drink more Water

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

I could not justify spending twice as much.
Yep, thats why a large majority of my stuff is Stanley. Never had anything make me wish it was SO/Mac/whatever.

I have wished I could afford more tools though.
My problem is I have the basics, and a step beyond. Now I'm looking at specialty stuff, air tools and things like tube benders, and such.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

will e

Post by will e »

Blazer3664 wrote:
My problem is I have the basics, and a step beyond. Now I'm looking at specialty stuff, air tools and things like tube benders, and such.

Jim

I hear ya. I remember how exicted I was when I purchased my first tap and die set. A nice one. More recently a 1/4 inch torque wrench. I love tools. I figure if I ever win the lottery I will buy everything the snap on dude has to offer...
Last edited by will e on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

Well, my plan involves kind of a guys tool party. Beer, smoked meat, and cool tools to try and buy. But the linchpin to the whole thing is the guy supplying and selling the tools.

Sent from Tapatalk

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

My Snap on guy was murdered by a couple meth heads 10 years ago. http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4118496.html
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

carnuck wrote:My Snap on guy was murdered by a couple meth heads 10 years ago. http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4118496.html
That freekin sucks. :cry:
TUDrewser wrote:I'm working on a little project here that I'm not ready to reveal. However, curious what the general opinions are about Mac Tools vs. Snap-On Tools. We have several professionals on here, as well as even more semi-professionals, so curious about the general opinion. Do both trucks tend to visit repair shops? Do shops go with one or the other? Is it 50/50 split?

I've heard Mac tools mentioned more here on the forum, but don't know if there's a reason or if it's coincidence. Opening can of worms....now.
As a pro I have a lot of opinions, so I'll get this one out of the way first. I like SuperKrome (SK) best, and they are back in business. I like Stanley-Proto second best (trucks are white and red and just say "PROTO" on them). Cornwell is all Chinese. I have never seen a wrench or toolbox from Cornwell that wasn't made in China or Taiwan. Pay chinese prices for chinese products, if you're cool with child slave labor. Now the two you asked about specifically:

MAC: Like Jaber I had an awesome MAC guy. He operates north of Seattle, goes by the name "Troll" and was a hotrodder before it was cool. He was generous with the swag, knew his stuff and worked with you on money. That said, the tools are alright, but you have to look up each individual tool by part number to find the country of origin. Two seemingly identical tools with one number off could be made in Ohio and made in Ding Dong. My green handled screwdrivers from the US made tools thread are US made, I chipped the tip on one. The red handled replacement snapped the shaft. A US screwdriver would have bent, not snapped, even though I was using it as a guide pin.

Snap-On: When I posted my US made tools thread, I was bitching just as much in real life as I was here about Chinese tools and if you know any Snap-On guys, you know how much they love their tools. I ruffled some feathers and got my butt chewed from fifty different angles, even having the Snap-On truck that I didn't know comes by coming by to take a bite. I didn't post it because it's kind of embarrassing, but now it seems applicable so I'll share. I was told straight from the horses mouth that the ONLY Snap-On tools that MIGHT come from overseas are the ones with wires or hoses. Refrigerant recovery machines, welding machines, multimeters, etc. He even issued me this challenge; If I found a Snap-On tool box made ANYWHERE besides the US or Canada (they have a factory in each country specifically FOR each country, but it's possible a Canadian would bring one down to the US), he would give me a fully loaded 72" rollaway as a finders fee! They are that serious about counterfeits. Blue Point is there budget line and is globally sourced, but their name brand hand tools are still fiercely north american, and they do last forever. If you're not the type to misplace your sockets or use your screwdrivers as guide pins, Snap-On is worth the money. And they still have girly calenders, you just have to ask for them. ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I have seen Chinese tools on snap - ons website. .. But at least they list country of origin there too. ..

Sent from Tapatalk

Locked and Loaded

Post by Locked and Loaded »

Everything made in China is not made by Child slave labor. Geez. If you would have just left that one line out. I would't have lost interest. But all American stuff is made by greedy SOBs. :mrgreen:
Drink more Water

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

And Taiwan is at least better than PRC... At least it's a (sorta) free country.

Sent from Tapatalk

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

REDONE wrote:I like Stanley-Proto second best (trucks are white and red and just say "PROTO" on them).
Mac owns Stanley, its in big letters across the Mac truck... ;)
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Chuck1225

Post by Chuck1225 »

Well, I'll be quite honest- I like the snap-on tools that I have. The rachets- I've put 10 foot bars on the end of my 3/8 and hung off the end. (It was a heck of a tough bolt). I also like the sockets I've got from them. My favorite tool by far though is the lithium ion 1/2 inch cordless impact wrench.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I'm partial to snap-on, matco, and grey pneumatic sockets. Mac is made by stanley these days and their quality is not what it used to be. I work on road tractors for a living, mostly N14 cummins, detroit seriese 60, and volvo d12 and d13. I can honestly tell you my tools take a hell of a beating. Just my opinion and I know everyone has one. :-bd
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

jaber wrote:
REDONE wrote:I like Stanley-Proto second best (trucks are white and red and just say "PROTO" on them).
Mac owns Stanley, its in big letters across the Mac truck... ;)
Actually, Stanley owns Mac.

I used to be a Mac Tools distributor.

I also used to sell Cornwell.

Each has their good points and their bad points. Frankly, I have a box full of SK.