MAC or Snap-On?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

jaber
Vendor

Re: MAC or Snap-On?

Post by jaber »

OH, ok...

Just got a full tap and die set, man is it nice to have the right size and not have to go borrow it... :-bd
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

Actually, Stanley owns Mac.

Weeeeeeelll, yes.
But they are both owned by......I don't remember, the same company that owns Dewalt, B+D, Porter Cable, and a bunch of others as well.

Of coarse S-O, CDI, Williams, and some others I dont remember are all the same "parent" company also. Not related to Stanley and such though........ as far as I know.

Pretty common anymore, company I work for sells stuff under 7 names (they own), plus "private label" for places like Menards and Home Depot. All comes off the same machines, just different print and box/bag.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Blazer3664 wrote:
Actually, Stanley owns Mac.

Weeeeeeelll, yes.
But they are both owned by......I don't remember, the same company that owns Dewalt, B+D, Porter Cable, and a bunch of others as well.

Of coarse S-O, CDI, Williams, and some others I dont remember are all the same "parent" company also. Not related to Stanley and such though........ as far as I know.

Pretty common anymore, company I work for sells stuff under 7 names (they own), plus "private label" for places like Menards and Home Depot. All comes off the same machines, just different print and box/bag.

Jim
Stanley Black & Decker is the parent company (formerly The Stanley Works). In the tool world they own:

-Black & Decker – Acquired (via merger) in 2010.
*DeVilbiss Air Power – Pneumatic tools. B & D acquired in 2004.[20]
*DeWalt – Power tools. B & D acquired in 1960.
*Oldham Saw Company – Circular saw blade & wood router bit products. B & D acquired in 2004[20]
*Porter-Cable – Power tools. B & D acquired in 2004[20]/5.[21]
-Bostitch – Fastening tools. Acquired in 1986.
-Facom (France) – Professional tools. Acquired in 2006.
-Mac Tools – Professional tools. Acquired in 1980.
-Oldham Blades – Saw blades. Acquired in 2010.
-Proto – Industrial hand tools. Acquired in 1984.
-Blackhawk – Mechanic's tools. Acquired in 1986.
-Sidchrome (Australia/New Zealand) – Mechanic's tools. Acquired in 1990.
-Stanley Assembly Technologies
-Stanley Hand Tools – Carpentry and construction hand tools.
*Craftsman – Private-label hand tools for Sears, up until the mid-1980s.
*Husky – Private-label hand tools for The Home Depot. Acquired in 1986, later transferred to Home Depot.
*Kobalt – Private-label hand tools for Lowe's. Later made by Danaher Corporation
-Stanley Hydraulic Tools
-InnerSpace - A provider of healthcare storage solutions and inventory management analysis. InnerSpace also provides web-based supply management software that utilizes barcoding technology to increase charge capture, reduce excess inventory, and eliminate waste. Acquired in 2006
-Stanley Supply & Services – MRO products and services. Formerly Contact East and Jensen Tools – renamed in 2006.
-Vector Products – Battery chargers, power inverters, and similar power products. Acquired in 2007. Later sold to Baccus Global in 2010.
-Virax (France) – Plumbing tools. Acquired in 2006.

They also own a whole lot of other stuff!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

racerx12003r1 wrote: Mac is made by stanley these days
Pretty much thats what I said Pro. Cone to think of it, I'v got a bunch of cornwell stuff, and some S-K too. The last I heard, S-K was about belly up. I know my old Cornwell dealer was a hell of a guy. He would bend over backwards to help you.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

racerx12003r1 wrote:
racerx12003r1 wrote: Mac is made by stanley these days
Pretty much thats what I said Pro. Cone to think of it, I'v got a bunch of cornwell stuff, and some S-K too. The last I heard, S-K was about belly up. I know my old Cornwell dealer was a hell of a guy. He would bend over backwards to help you.
SK was owned for a bit by Facom of France. Facom declared bankruptcy in 2010, after which Facom itself was purchased by Stanley and SK was purchased by Ideal Industries. Ideal Industries also owns Western Forge and Pratt-Read. SK's future looks pretty secure at this point.

Cornwell is actually the oldest tool manufacturer among the big mechanic's tool makers. In fact, the guy who designed the original Snap On wrenches first worked at Cornwell.

Matco was once part of MAC. The Matco name actually means Mac Allied Tool Company. They were the part of Mac that brought in tools from other companies and branded them.

Mac and Matco split back in the late 70s.

Don't ask me why I know half this crap... :P

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

You sound like me with that last comment pro. I keep torque specs, music info and all kinds of usless info and can barely remember my name and birthdate.LOL :D
Daniel

haminawag

Post by haminawag »

I made my living as a mechanic from age 16 to about age 40. I know a lot has changed in the years since then, but my preferrence in hand tools, then and now, was not Snap-On. Yes, they make high quality tools, but I always questioned the wisdom of a company who would put a smooth, shiny finish on tools that they know are going to be held in oily hands. I've been working under cars and reached for a ratchet or wrench and couldn't even hold on to it, much less use it. For that reason alone my tool boxes have always been stocked with a variety of Matco, Craftsman, Mac, & Cornwell hand tools. I've broken a few sockets over the years, but those were always some "Made in Taiwan" crap I had floating around, I've sheared the heads off of more than a few Snap-On screwdrivers, but never a Stanley or Craftsman. Do my toolboxes look like a hodge-podge of tools? Absolutely. But they've all passed the test of time. I leave the shiny Snap-On tools where they are, in the Snap-On truck.
Let us not forget what our fathers taught us.

Ham-in-a-Wag
1967 Plymouth Fury
1979 Wagoneer
2000 RAV4

yjsquareguy

Post by yjsquareguy »

Not a mechanic but craftsman tools work just fine for my FSJ and JK. My 2 cents.
Rob
rob.fischer@matanzasjeepclub.com

2007 JK Rubicon
2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7L
1989 Grand Wagoneer

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

Hey, if a tool works for you, thats all that counts. I just picked up a welder from Snap on Wednesday. A little pricey at first (at least I thought so) but I'm sure I got a good deal. It works both as a MIG and a TIG.
Daniel

myredj10

Post by myredj10 »

I work at Penske as a fleet mechanic and we have snap on Mac Matco and cornwell. Cornwell guyrarely shows but I have a few things and it's nice but crude. Very bulky stuff. Snap on is very nice but pricey. There screwdriver tips break to hard and sockets and torn break like crazy. My Matco torx bits never break and I use them on an impact. Very nice torx bits. Mac has good prices but leaves a a sale catalog and comes back in a month so never buy from him. Matco is my go to tool guy except for battery powered then it's snap on but the snap on wrenches are to sharply edged in your hand. I guess my point is they all have good and bad

ClovisMan

Post by ClovisMan »

When I gradjiated from High School back in 1996, my parents bought me one of the big Craftsman tool sets with like 500 pieces. They are used and abused as I routinely think ratchets are hammers and screwdrivers are pry-bars, I have broken a few tools over the years but always just drop by the local Sears and they replace them with no questions asked. I even left a couple of sockets sitting in oven cleaner sludge in one of de-greasing episodes and it ate the chrome off and they started to rust. I asked if the chrome coating was covered by their warranty over the ask a question on the interwebs. The tech sais it was and I returned those sockets and they gave me brand new bright and shiny replacements. I just can't fault a product or a company over that kind of service. I have a Snap-on 3/8 ratchet and an 8 piece socket set in SAE...I rarely use them.
88 Grand Wagoneer - The Money Pit - 360/727/NP208 - SOA/SF - Lots of other stuff SOLD
78 Cherokee Chief - Copper - 360/TH400/Quadratrac - 4 inch BDS lift - 33 inch tires SOLD

Topic author
TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

ClovisMan wrote:When I gradjiated from High School back in 1996, my parents bought me one of the big Craftsman tool sets with like 500 pieces. They are used and abused as I routinely think ratchets are hammers and screwdrivers are pry-bars, I have broken a few tools over the years but always just drop by the local Sears and they replace them with no questions asked. I even left a couple of sockets sitting in oven cleaner sludge in one of de-greasing episodes and it ate the chrome off and they started to rust. I asked if the chrome coating was covered by their warranty over the ask a question on the interwebs. The tech sais it was and I returned those sockets and they gave me brand new bright and shiny replacements. I just can't fault a product or a company over that kind of service. I have a Snap-on 3/8 ratchet and an 8 piece socket set in SAE...I rarely use them.
Yes, but back in 1996 they were still made in the USA. So hold on to them...and only replace what you need now because any replacements you get will be made in China. If a ratchet stops working, don't settle for a replacement...ask them to rebuild it, or find a store that will. It will still be chinese innards, but at least you'll keep your made in the USA outside.
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.