Magic rust removal machine

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

Topic author
Southern Gorilla

Magic rust removal machine

Post by Southern Gorilla »

My brother turned me on to this idea. I thought I'd share. I don't know if anybody has tried it already. He has it working somewhat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA

I'm sure it takes some experimentation to get it working properly. But it looks very useful.
Having seller's regret.

REDONE

Re: Magic rust removal machine

Post by REDONE »

I have done this a lot. Navy ships do this continuously to protect the hull also.

To expand the knowledge of everyone reading this, and so that they remember how to took the wires up if/when they decide to try it:

The part you are sacrificing is called a "SACRIFICIAL ANODE", the part you are taking rust off of is called the "CATHODE". A particle that has a POSITIVE CHARGE is called an "ANION" (pronounced "an-ion"), an particle that has a negative charge is called a "CATION" (pronounced "cat-ion"). I learned to remember that in a fight between a cat and an ant, a cat would win, so in the electrolytic process, the cat is the one that going to win. Also, cats are very NEGATIVE. Always biting the hand that pets them and what not. So in short CAT=NEGATIVE=WIN (opposite of damaged).

Now the electrolytic solution. WATER IS A POOR CONDUCTOR OF ELECTRICITY. Water alone will do the job, but the amps you would need using regular tap water to overcome the ohms is beyond the limits of a battery charger or small welder. I can go more into that if people want to know more, but you add stuff to the water to increase it's conductivity. That's what he was using the "washing soda" for. Powdered laundry soap works. Baking soda works. Table salt works(note to follow on table salt). I USE BORAX out of pure habit.

If you do a lot of research on this on the internet you will see that ammonia is used a lot commercially. If you try to use ammonia you will make a lot of poison gas and have a vat of acid when you are done. Stick to stuff you put in food or rub on your body anyways. If you use table salt (which when emulsified is an active oxidizer) it works great until you pull your cathode out of the bath. At that point, it's not just covered in salt water, it's covered in ANGRY salt water. Surface rust will be almost immediate.

I was about to go into the "what is actually happening" but then I remembered I have to wake up in 5 hours. So, here's the "need to know" stuff. The thing you're cleaning get's the black clamp. Use soap. And the main thing that that video didn't touch on is it's LINE OF SIGHT. Instead of a brake rotor, get some cheap rabbit fence from the hardware store and bend it to the shape of whatever NON-CONDUCTIVE tub you are using. Suspend the part being cleaned in the middle so that as much surface area as possible is in direct line of sight to the wire mesh as possible. Don't let them touch, you'll short your power source and either blow a fuse or burn your house down. That's the short of it. Have fun!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Three questions

If I put my FSJ in a vat will there be anything left?
Who has a vat big enough for my FSJ?
How on earth do you remove rust from rust?
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

wewillsurvive wrote:Three questions

If I put my FSJ in a vat will there be anything left?
Who has a vat big enough for my FSJ?
How on earth do you remove rust from rust?
1) Tires and windows
2) 4"x4" posts, 3/4" laminate press board, and a honkin' big tarp from Harbor Freight
3) Differential metals.
:P ;)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

myther

Post by myther »

My dad have done this with items that fit into a similar sized box as the video. It works great but you need to protect the item you removed the rust off, and protect it quickly.

racerx12003r1

Post by racerx12003r1 »

I'v done the electrolisis myself and it does work great. Was watching a video on youtube where the guy used a carbon stick as his sacrifical material. Said it made everything black because of the carbon but it didnt rust back as quickly. (his story, not mine). I'v been wanting to try another rust removal trick I saw on there where the guy uses molasses and water mixture to get rid of the rust. It takes longer, but seems to work good. He was using a huge vat like a horse trough and submerging fenders, doors, dashes, or whatever else.
Daniel

1980 J10 Thunderbolt Grease slapper (formerly Beast II)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

If you do a good tank setup you can get extremely rusted cast iron down to bare clean metal real fast. Or any steel or iron for that mater. I de rusted a complete flood damaged head in one night of cooking. I was amazed at the results, I had stalagmites of rust growing and they were gone within hours. Keep your piece suspended off the bottom of the tank and move the anode around to cover the whole part. I stripped my oil pan to bare metal in 4 hours!

I'll try and throw some pictures in my build thread eventually.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

kathyrose

Post by kathyrose »

It is really quite useful technique for rust removing through washing soda and electric current or electrolysis.

Loner

Post by Loner »

I always use white vinegar. Takes awhile but it works.
81 Cherokee Chief W/T :fsj:
41 GMC CCKW

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

These were dissolved overnight in a $12 electrolysis tank. In freezing temperatures, none the less. Image
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

CherokeeOwner

Post by CherokeeOwner »

kathyrose wrote:It is really quite useful technique for rust removing through washing soda and electric current or electrolysis.
I've used that method on tools. Slow but it's safer on the tool.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Molasses works. No electricity required.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.