Currently USA made hand tools?

This is a place to share about tools and workspaces

blue beast j10

Re: Currently USA made hand tools?

Post by blue beast j10 »

glad to hear you found some tools, but also nice to hear I am not the only WAR-PATH shopper out there they are lucky we don't shop together I am sure that could get UGLY. and I'm not the smiling type. :twisted:
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Bostonbob

Post by Bostonbob »

coming out of the mountains to go shopping is always a special treat . I don't go shopping often :banghead:

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

:D I hear you guys! I come off the mountain more than I like to admit because of my lady friend, but I do get her up here every chance I get too.

I'm starting another thread with far more $$$ at stake...
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Funny story! :funnypost:

Our local (mountain town) "Do It Best" hardware store has a bunch of Allen brand tools they are trying to sell off. Of course they are ALL being replaced by their brand name tools made where? You guessed it! PRC.

So I too need a set of tools just for the Jeep (Dan would call it a heap), but none the less I started looking at these tools.

Not bad at all! Great quality, and nice polishing on them too!

Bought a 1/4" drive ratchet today, and a small 1/4" breaker bar (Yeah I know it is kinda useless, but it was cute looking and I did not have one). OK! So I like cute tools? I don't buy expensive clothes or shoes like most of my GF's.Course they all think I am nuts! :P

I spoke to one of the counter people today about just selling me a couple kits if I put them together. So tomorrow they are supposed to call me back about a better price if I do that. Told her that buying american just might save her job too.

OH!
And one of the longtimmers there told me that next years Willys Jeep day poster, and Tshirts will be sporting a picture of my Waggy! :D
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Dusty wrote:OH!
And one of the longtimmers there told me that next years Willys Jeep day poster, and Tshirts will be sporting a picture of my Waggy! :D
We'll have to see photographic proof of this before we'll believe it... :P

And no, 1/4" tools are NOT useless, have you ever lifted the hood on a Honda... :shock:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Weird that you've gotten crap about returning tools to Sears. ???

Even though you can BUY rachet rebuild kits, I've always returned them and received a brand new one.

FWIW, when you bring them in, don't dress "like a mechanic". You probably don't need a suit and tie, but if you are not wearing oily coveralls, they're less likely to think you're a pro and have abused the tool for 50 hours a week.

The reverse works for parts stores. Wear your coveralls there and they think you're a pro (or at least know what you're doing) and you usually get good service. :D
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Topic author
REDONE

Post by REDONE »

The issue at sears was them having a box of broken ratchets and swapping them. You trade your broken ratchet for someone else's broken ratchet. Lowes and HD always want to run either your phone number or credit card at $0 charge just to track how often you swap tools. It's not every sears every day, but it's happened more than once. Nowhere in there warranty policy does it say you can't use your tools professionally either, just that they can't be damaged from unusual wear or rusty.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

jaber wrote:
Dusty wrote:OH!
We'll have to see photographic proof of this before we'll believe it... :P

And no, 1/4" tools are NOT useless, have you ever lifted the hood on a Honda... :shock:
This years fly / T-shirt design. The yellow jeep belongs to Sarah, and the Willys wagon belongs to Terry down at the Hardware store.
If God is your co-pilot, you need to switch seats!

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Interesting, Redone. I've always had them hand me a new one off the shelf. <shrug>
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Same here, they just tell me to go pick out a new one and that's it.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

REDONE wrote: Image
I asked for and got an ALMOST exact same version as this. My wife did awesome and bought exactly what I said, but I say ALMOST exact same version because every damn wrench and socket in the box is marked as made in China. Not explicitly, but like "D-CA" which I looked up and is some province in China. There is one bag of mini wrenches that says "Tools made in USA, bag made in China" and that's the only thing in the entire box made in the USA. To be fair, the outer packaging does say Made in China.

So moral is, don't assume and don't go by looks alone. I'm returning it and looking for the real thing.

What I got: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-255-pc-m ... ckType=G49

US Made version: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-258-pc-m ... ckType=G38
1990 GW "saved by Jerry" edition
will e wrote:I guess life is better if you are not moving too fast.

will e

Post by will e »

Interesting. I will have to check to see what I ended up with. When I put the 'working' tool box and tools into the Cherokee I picked up a big Craftsman set on sale and accessorized it. I didn't check where it was made and it has worked great for work on the cars. I would go craftsman again.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

I will go Craftsman when the tools say made in USA. Unfortunately, looks like estate sales are where we will have to go in the future. And just in case there are questions, the fit and finish of the tools matched Chinese craftsmanship...sharp edges, uneven depth on stamped lettering, and chrome flaking off. Could get the same quality at Harbor Freight.

Judging by reviews, I think this set even used to be made in USA. Wonder if the 9 on the front indicates the change:

TUDrewser

Post by TUDrewser »

OK, I took back the other set this afternoon. I then checked every tool set there and everything was made in China. Finally, I stumbled on an old display box that said "tools made in USA". I gave it a shot and asked the clerk to look it up. I told her it said made in USA and she laughed and said, "oh, I don't think so". I carried on and the system showed one in stock. She asked another clerk if he could go find it, who also denied it being made in the US, adding it must just be an old box on display. I said I would check before buying so he went searching, returning after about 15 minutes. Turns out it was in a corner covered in dust, but sure enough its box said made in USA. We opened it up and every single tool said usa...even the ratchets, which have been made in China for a while. I was thrilled! And the clerks were stunned. But I walked out with my usa made tools, though they reminded me that if they broke they would be replaced by Chinese ones. Bummer. But yay!

Tin Medic

Post by Tin Medic »

Sometimes that's what it takes to get the good stuff.
89 GW 360/727/208 (soon to be LQ9/727/208) MSD 8523 Pro Billet Distributor, MSD 8207 Blaster SS Coil, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs

"I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so the driver can hear me hurt the environment."

Jeeps don't break down, they're just extremely demanding when they need parts replaced!

Jeep Owner

Mrpatatomoto

Post by Mrpatatomoto »

Ive got http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Mechani ... B003VWNWNQ and a ammo box full of screwdrivers/pliers/Etc... always surprised at how far a little bit of tools get you when your used to your huge roll off at work that's overflowing.

Only issue is after a few years of abuse the fold out's that hold the sockets have broken off but I re-attached them with baling wire.

Also, Love the Mac screwdrivers, bought the multi set also.
1982 Cherokee Chief, 258, T5 , NP208, 3.31, 33" BFG KO2's
32/36 weber, MSD 6a, Core/Hurst Shifter

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Mrpatatomoto wrote:Also, Love the Mac screwdrivers, bought the multi set also.
The Mac truck comes to me, I spend WAY too much money with him, but he makes it right and I can make weekly payments. Its nice knowing if I need something, he will hook me up and know MOST of it is US made. :roll:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Blazer3664

Post by Blazer3664 »

Was in sears earlier, the only "Made in USA" I found was the 32 pc wrench set.

Strange thing is the same wrenches in smaller sets are china or Taiwan :(

Nothing else I looked at was USA made.

Jim
1978 Cherokee chief AKA = Butt Ugly
Current status = BACK under construction
modified body w/TJ flares
AMC 360, junkyard TBI, 4L80e
NWF doubler w/ upside down 203
SOA D60/14B-FF
custom shackle flip w/F150 springs
H1 wheels + (for now) tires
-----Coming Soon-----
snorkels, home brew OBA+OBW

will e

Post by will e »

I did a cursory glance at my couple of year old Craftsman stuff and it is stamped USA. I bet if I look some of the accessory stuff won't be but the sockets, the wrenches, the wratches and such all said USA.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

TUDrewser wrote:I will go Craftsman when the tools say made in USA. Unfortunately, looks like estate sales are where we will have to go in the future. And just in case there are questions, the fit and finish of the tools matched Chinese craftsmanship...sharp edges, uneven depth on stamped lettering, and chrome flaking off. Could get the same quality at Harbor Freight.

Judging by reviews, I think this set even used to be made in USA. Wonder if the 9 on the front indicates the change:

It may also be that the toolbox is made in China, but the suckers/Wrenches are made in the USA.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ